Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Freesenk

Shows for 2008

As pre-camps and summer rehearsals get underway I can't help but to start to get excited about what shows will be heard and seen on the fields from the bands in my area this season.

Anyone care to share?

Kyle,

Our show is entitled AF 632: Brave New World

It's a twist on the concept of Aldous Huxley's novel Brave New World. Craig Fitzpatrick did our music again this year, and he's morphed Dvorak's New World Symphony into a totally new creation to convey the story.

What are you doing this year?

-Jeff Neavor

Director of Bands

Morton High School

We are doing Aerodynamics:A Celebration of Flight.

I was excited to get permission from David Gillingham earlier this year. The kids are really excited about the show as am I. I hope that's a recipe for success in my 2nd year.

We're doing four competitions this year, I'm sure I'll get a chance to see your show at some. Metamora, Mahomet, Pekin, and Geneseo.

I hear my alma mater is performing a show called "360" ("Three Sixty"?). From what I can tell, it's not about emotions or nature so it's probably a step in the right direction for good old LWC (who will split next season anyway).

Attention Directors! October 4 is a pretty open date in central Illinois this year for competitions. How about come down to McKendree University? Located just east of St. Louis between interstates 64, 55, and 70.

McKendree University is hosting the annual "Preview of Champions" on Saturday, October 4, 2008. Bands will compete (based on number of instrumentalists) for 1st, 2nd, 3rd in each class, best percussion, music, ge, guard in each class, as well as a grand champion award.

Please contact Lester McQuaid, Music Admission Counselor for more information at lamcquaid@mckendree.edu or 618.537.6554

Kyle,

Our show is entitled AF 632: Brave New World

It's a twist on the concept of Aldous Huxley's novel Brave New World. Craig Fitzpatrick did our music again this year, and he's morphed Dvorak's New World Symphony into a totally new creation to convey the story.

What are you doing this year?

-Jeff Neavor

Director of Bands

Morton High School

Heard the music the other day... can't wait!!!!

Bloomimgton High School's 2008 Field Show is entitled "1984".  It's all original music by J.R. Trimpe, inspired by the George Orwell novel by the same name.

If interested, MP3's of Bloomington show available here.

Ha!! I think it's great/hilarious that two bands are doing music inspired by 1984 and Brave New World.  Maybe their shows will be totally opposite, just like the predictions of the two novels.

Are you saying that people who do Brave New World shows will be opposite or that Brave New World and 1984 will be opposite? I don't have any idea I haven't read either book.

Are you saying that people who do Brave New World shows will be opposite or that Brave New World and 1984 will be opposite? I don't have any idea I haven't read either book.

I'm saying that people who do Brave New World and 1984 will be opposite, as the predictions of the future of each novel are. If I remember right, and feel free to correct if I am wrong, here is each book in a very small nutshell.

Brave New World predicts that we will be "taken over" by technology and that we will have become so immature and desensitized that we won't even know what happened and we'll be blissfully ignorant. Whereas, 1984 predicts a more violent, governmental take over where we are constantly being watched. I think these are fairly accurate, but again, feel free to correct or elaborate.

There are many ways to interpret the differences and similarities of these novels. Even though both are dystopian warning of the future, 1984 uses punishment to control while Brave New World uses pleasure.

This will make it interesting to see how each Band will interpret them musically and in drill.

Yeah it will help to know a little background on Brave New World before checking out our show. If you don't wanna go check out the book, you can search around on wikipedia, sparknotes, or any other informative site on the book.

If you are looking for a good read though, I definetely recommend the book.

Yeah it will help to know a little background on Brave New World before checking out our show. If you don't wanna go check out the book, you can search around on wikipedia, sparknotes, or any other informative site on the book.

Does this mean the "story" to your show is not clear unless you have read the book?

Does this mean the "story" to your show is not clear unless you have read the book?

Not at all. You may experience it at a deeper level if you have read the book, but it certainly isn't necessary in order to follow the story on the field.

Too be honest... I don't look into what the show is doing, unless I already know about the story behind it... If I do, I look for the clues... but mainly I let the music tell the story.

:)

Just heard Morton's show. Incredible writing, and incredible playing. Brass is a lot stronger this year. Woodwinds are just as good, maybe better, Percussion is fast and sick as usual.

I love the take on Dvor

Well, they finished learning the drill this week, and have been cleaning as well. it's "wow"tacular. I'm not sure if they will put the closer out on the field, or they may, since it would be a free run through. If they do, WOW! look out! It will WOW you beyond Dairy Queen. Show has a lot of wow and a lot of intense music.

I think they even spell "WOW" at the end. :P

Did I mention WOW?

ya, wow.