Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Balash

The official 2008 DCI thread

If Phantom doesn't win with this - the judges will never put them in 1st again.

Probably a bit too early to talk placements.

I hope we see another year where the Illinois corps are battling it out. That was really exciting two years ago.

Being 'scooped' is an understatement. The 5:30ish broadcast on WTHR Indianapolis had a great broadcast of the DCI Championships coming to Indy, and then coincidentally the final sentence stated "We've just received news that the DCI championships will not be at Lucas Oil Stadium due to construction not being completed in time and that the event will be moved to IU's Memorial Stadium. We were unable to get a hold of anyone at the DCI Office"

I'm confident Indiana University will be a great place to host the championships. College campuses seem to have a more vibrant atmosphere than NFL stadiums, in my opinion.

08BD_ShowGraphic.jpg

Line Six: the poet like an acrobat

* Sweeney Todd - Main Theme -- Stephen Sondheim

* Phrygian Gates -- John Adams

* Bach Invention

Line Fifteen: and other high theatrics

* Serenada Schizophrana -- Danny Elfman

* Pianos -- Danny Elfman

Line Twenty-Five: where Beauty stands and waits

* I Will Wait For You - Michel Legrand

Line Thirty-Two: spreadeagled in the empty air of existence

* The Untouchables The City of Prague --- Ennio Morricone

I can't wait for Carolina and Phantom - their shows look the best so far, based off of music they will be playing (which, in my mind, really decides if the show is good or not......visual comes 2nd.) We'll see if the arrangements are good (which they usually are for these 2 corps!)

I can't wait for Carolina and Phantom - their shows look the best so far, based off of music they will be playing (which, in my mind, really decides if the show is good or not......visual comes 2nd.) We'll see if the arrangements are good (which they usually are for these 2 corps!)

I agree that music should come first and visual second...well, there is one thing we agree on at least.....

A newspaper article came out today saying IU might have to replace the turf. The AD mentioned he needed to make a decision soon enough so that it would be ready for the Aug. 20th opening game for the football team.

note, that is well after DCI finals.

DCI might have to move again...........

yeah they won't move to Soldier Field.  The Chicago Park District would NEVER allow it. 

A more likely place would be Ross-Ade at Purdue or Memorial Stadium in Champaign.

Either that or Madison.

Well, way back in the day (1980 - 81?) there was a high-school competition at Soldier Field. It was a pretty incredible experience.

Well, way back in the day (1980 - 81?) there was a high-school competition at Soldier Field. It was a pretty incredible experience.

Would that have been The Music Bowl competition?

where would be cool is Ryan Field here at northwestern. the stadium is friendly to sound from the field, the stadium orientation helps to keep the wind from the lake off, and the place is just fun. there are some problems (like no parking at the stadium), but it would be awesome.

obviously it would never happen, unless you are the football team on game day or a multi-million dollar movie (http://www.theexpressmovie.com/, the field scenes were filmed in the stadium and a lot of outdoor university shots are around campus), you can't get into the stadium, let alone on the turf. but it would be cool.

Would that have been The Music Bowl competition?

That was it.

1. The Cadets

2. Blue Devils

3. Santa Clara Vanguard

4. The Cavaliers

5. Phantom Regiment

6. Carolina Crown

7. Bluecoats

8. Glassmen

9. Boston Crusaders

10. Blue Stars

11. Blue Knights

12. Colts

13. Spirit

14. Madison Scouts

15. The Academy

16. Crossmen

17. Troopers

18. Pacific Crest

19. Mandarins

20. Pioneer

Wow you went all out on the predictions - I just meant for today's shows...but good for you Dan! :)

If that's your final predictions come Aug.......here's mine:

1. Cavaliers (ugh, hate to admit it, but they will be tough to beat)

2. Cadets (see note above)

3. Phantom (Spartacus will return them to the Top 3)

4. Blue Devils (They are "constantly risking" their Top 3 spot with this show I think.)

5. Carolina Crown (the dark horse this year.........no pun intended from last year's show).

6. Santa Clara Vanguard (Pete Weber will keep them in the mix with his awesome drills).

7. Bluecoats (young this year, I think they will stick around 7).

**Please note, I think 5-7 are going to be VERY VERY close like last year, but I think 4th will spread a bit from 5th unlike last year.)

8. Boston (Because they are Boston, they are always around here and always have a good show).

9. Colts (Cesario will have them creeping up into the Top 7......)

10. Madison Scouts (welcome back Madison, you will be deservedly playing Sat. night!)

11. Blue Knights (I think they will maintain their finals status.....barely)

12. Blue Stars (Hello Blue Stars, how long has it been? Toooooooooooooo long!)

Goodbye to Spirit and Glassmen, for now........

13. Glassmen

14. Academy

15. Spirit

16-20 I'll take your word on it Dan. :)