Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Balash

The official 2008 DCI thread

As we did last year, this will be a thread to discuss shows for next season, make predictions, and the like. I'll update this as more shows come in. Feel free to post shows on here only if they've been announced by the corps. Also, feel free to discuss any news, new uniforms, predictions, etc. I'll post the rules proposals decisions as soon as I get them next weekend.

World Class

The Academy: "Vienna Nights":

Freud

What's with Mackey suddenly becoming popular? Both in Marching Band AND DCI now...

seriously....download some of his music from his website (www.ostimusic.com) and then decide for yourself why he's getting so much play. His music is quite good.

Cadets...interesting. I love Apollo Unleashed.

The two that most interest me are Cadets and SCV... I like all the music there.

you're really going to like some of the other shows that I've had information leaked to me about. I can't say anything yet, but Crown and Madison are really going to have awesome shows.

As we did last year, this will be a thread to discuss shows for next season, make predictions, and the like. I'll update this as more shows come in. Feel free to post shows on here only if they've been announced by the corps.

World Class

The Academy:

Blue Devils:

Blue Knights:

Blue Stars:

Bluecoats: "The Knockout"-music TBA

Boston Crusaders: music to include John Mackey's Kingfishers Catch Fire.

The Cadets: "In Pursuit of Happiness" music of Frank Ticheli including An American Elegy, Vesuvius, Nitro, Apollo Unleashed

Carolina Crown:

Cascades: "Beyond the Forest"

The Cavaliers: "Samurai" music TBA

Colts: "Night and Day" featuring the music of Cole Porter, Miklos Rosza, Leonard Bernstein, and Andrew Lloyd Webber

Crossmen:

Glassmen:

Madison Scouts:

Mandarins:

Pacific Crest: "Primality" music TBA

Phantom Regiment: "Spartacus"-music TBA

Pioneer: "Celtic Reflections"-Suite in Eb (Holst), Harkstow Grange from Lincolnshire Posy (Grainger), The Celtic Symphony (The Wolfe Tones), Richard the III, Crown Imperial March (William Walton)

Santa Clara Vanguard:"3hree"-The Chairman Dances (Adams), The Man in the Bath (Glass), Cloudburst (Whitacre)

Spirit from JSU: "pe-ri-4-ry"

Troopers:"The Ironhorse Express" featuring the music of Eric Whitacre, Sean O`Loughlin, John Mackey, Richard Saucedo, and William Gordon.

Open Class

Beatrix (a bad ---- International corps): "The City"-selections from the movies 'Face Off' and 'Hannibal', and 'Mr. Bojangles' by Sammy Davis Jr.

Capital Sound: "The Neverland"-selections from Jim Steinman's 'Neverland'

Incognito: "The World of Incognitians"

Legends: "Peter Boyer's New Beginnings"

Oregon Crusaders: "Inner Connections"

Raiders: "Deep Blue"-a selection from the movie 'A Perfect Storm', 'O Magnum Mysterium' by Morten Lauridsen, and a custom composition by Michael Hamilton and Colin Bell

Revolution: "Elevation"-music by Philip Glass, Stephen Melillo, John Adams, and James Newton Howard

Spartans: "Metallic Soundscapes" featuring the music of John Mackey

Spokane Thunder: "Antithesis"

Targets: Selections from "The 13th Warrior"

Teal Sound: "Voices of the Seasons"

Vanguard Cadets: "Perspectives"

Velvet Knights: "The Inferno"-music by Johann Sebastian Bach, AC/DC, Michael Jackson, Frank Sinatra, Georges Bizet, Hector Berlioz, Antonin Dvorak, Monty Python

Yamato-"Mythos"

hey now

i have a friend who marches with beatrix

So SCV is the mystery corps that's moving from FJM to Stanbury for Brent Becker (absolute genius of a uniform designer)! Thank goodness. While Cesario certainly has a good thing going on, Brent is the wave of the future and his designs are top notch.

Check out his work here:

http://www.stanbury.com/exclusive.asp

http://becorps.deviantart.com/

Velvet Knights: "The Inferno"-music by Johann Sebastian Bach, AC/DC, Michael Jackson, Frank Sinatra, Georges Bizet, Hector Berlioz, Antonin Dvorak, Monty Python

An odd combonation of selections...but I like pretty much all of them...Monty Python will be fun!!

So SCV is the mystery corps that's moving from FJM to Stanbury for Brent Becker (absolute genius of a uniform designer)! Thank goodness. While Cesario certainly has a good thing going on, Brent is the wave of the future and his designs are top notch.

Check out his work here:

http://www.stanbury.com/exclusive.asp

http://becorps.deviantart.com/

From what I've heard, they might be. I'm a fan of his Blue Stars design, but not of his Cap Sound design (http://www.capsound.org/images/New_Uniform/). If he kills a classic design, say, for example, SCV, I will not be happy.

http://www.seattlecascades.org

Cascades Choose to Limit Scope of 2008 Summer Tour

Corps will not participate in 2008 DCI World Championships

The Cascades will remain in the Northwest for the 2008 season, choosing not to embark on the broader national Drum Corps International Summer Tour as a member of the World Class. The corps has decided instead to field an exhibition unit, providing a regionally-focused drum corps experience for returning and new members rather than withdrawing from the entire season. This approach will assist in the support of additional drum corps shows in the Northwest during the course of the summer.

Cascades administrators felt that although a scaled-down 2008 national tour might be possible, it would not be at their desired level.

That makes 6 World Class corps that are inactive:

-Capital Regiment (since end of 2006)

-Southwind

-Esperanza

-Cascades

-The Magic

-Kiwanis Kavaliers

If they were to come back, Cap Reg, Esperanza, Magic, and Kiwanis would all have to go back to Open Class. I'm worried about Esperanza and Magic coming back because their websites are completely gone. I'm also worried about KK because they had a large number of instruments stolen last year and I haven't heard anything about them being found or returned. Out of this list, the only ones I feel will come back are Cap Reg and Cascades.

Also, I had a thought last night when I heard about Cascades doing an exhibition tour: Since they're still "touring," per se, if they miss the 2009 season, will they have to go down to Open Class for the 2010 season?

The one idea I really dislike is the Hopkins/Gibbs vision of "super corps". Slowly but surely, drum corps are dropping off the map. I hope those that plan to make it back on the field do and achieve a high level of financial stability by being smart about expenses. A certain corps showed us that not even the "big dogs" are without their fair share of money problems.

If they do come back, at least Open Class gets stronger for a bit. Neglect has sort of killed Div. II/III which is why it's all one thing now....:(

taken from Becorps

And Then There Were Three...

Journal Entry: Fri Feb 22, 2008, 10:55 PM

Go ahead and chalk up one more "Top-Twelve" corps for the Stanbury Team!

In addition to continuing the partnership with Madison, and the now confirmed work with the Vanguard, it looks like The Phantom Regiment will be returning to Stanbury for new baldric and gauntlet designs to match the "Spartacus" show theme and to compliment their "all-white" uniforms.

Where do I fit in to all of this?

For both Vanguard and Madison, I have been working with the directors and staff of both organizations for a few months now... Vanguard will be working with a unique update based on some of my "original" design concepts. The Madison organization came to me with a general direction that has evolved into a design that I feel is both "fashion-forward" and very, very "fan friendly". Both uniforms will be in prototype soon!

Phantom's new baldric and gauntlets are in the "sketchbook" phase - meaning that initial design ideas have been transmitted and further deliberation and brainstorming will take place before any finalized version is set for prototype or, for that matter, production.

Until then, expect to see great things out of Brookfield, Missouri... New, athletic, unique, powerful, and exciting things...

I can't wait to see these. Also, while you're there, check out some of his prototypes here.

http://glassmen.org/main/index.php?o...8&Item id=109

karnevel-simple.jpg

The 2008 summer traveling production by the GLASSMEN Drum & Bugle Corps!

Through the eyes of a wide-eyed child, experience the sights and sounds of a carnival like none you have ever seen. From the arrival of the troupe, to the allure of being a part of this unique traveling show; you will be thrilled by the excitement of each moment, awed by the performers, amazed by the oddities, and drawn into the mysterious world of the traveling menagerie.

With a deep focus on musical exploration, relentless energy and excellence, the performers will take you through a series of sideshows, rides and merrymaking representing the sights and sounds of the timeless traveling carnival.

Through the creative talents of GLASSMEN designers Don Hill, Sal Salas, Joe Heininger, Chris Hestin, Rob Ferguson, Gilles Ouellette, and Tim Newburn "Kar-ne-vel" promises to be a musical and visual event not to be missed.

Come one - come all - the carnival is coming...are you ready?