Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
briar62

Francis Howell Comp, Mo

Newton went, and they actually called the stand and play before we were supposed to compete. I remember hearing a long clap of thunder as we were going to the stadium, but I didn't see any lightning. Apparently one of the judges did though, so they decided to move inside. Mind you, this is what they announced to everyone who came into the gym. And about halfway through the afternoon they decided to cancel Finals. We were the only Illinois band there besides Belleville East, and it felt good to represent Illinois, even though it was only a stand and play.

Newton went, and they actually called the stand and play before we were supposed to compete. I remember hearing a long clap of thunder as we were going to the stadium, but I didn't see any lightning. Apparently one of the judges did though, so they decided to move inside. Mind you, this is what they announced to everyone who came into the gym. And about halfway through the afternoon they decided to cancel Finals. We were the only Illinois band there besides Belleville East, and it felt good to represent Illinois, even though it was only a stand and play.

Where there is thunder there is lightning...and vice versa. Good call for th safety of everyone!

I agree. When I heard the thunder I immediately started praying that our color guard members would not get hit. I guess I really wasn't expecting to do a stand and play, but it made sense when we learned that was what we would be doing.

I agree. When I heard the thunder I immediately started praying that our color guard members would not get hit. I guess I really wasn't expecting to do a stand and play, but it made sense when we learned that was what we would be doing.

Don't forget the rain! Wet grass is much more likely to cause injury than lightning. Lightning is just alot more serious.

Yes. The Blue Division had already marched, and the first band in our class (Silver Division) had marched before we were told about the stand and play. They didn't really have a true marching judge, I guess, but it was more towards Visual Performance and General Effect, so the bands that did a lot of body movements or visuals did better in those categories I THINK. There weren't any caption awards with color guard or percussion. Those scores went into the band's overall score apparently.

What they ended up doing with awards was naming the Top 3 in each class and giving out Outstanding Music Performance, Visual Performance, and General Effect caption awards. Since they canceled finals, there was no Grand Champion awarded, but Jefferson City, Missouri got the highest score of the day with an 82.25, and they deserved every bit of it. We found out later that if the Finals had been held, we would have been one of the ten bands to compete for Grand Champion, even though we did not place in the Top 3 in our class.