Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
MHSeraoh

Central Illinois Bands

Seems to me that a lot of central Illinois bands are really starting to show significant improvement. Pekin and Bloomington come to mind, not to mention East Peoria starting to compete. I know some is from new directors, but any thoughts, discussion etc?

Seems to me that a lot of central Illinois bands are really starting to show significant improvement. Pekin and Bloomington come to mind, not to mention East Peoria starting to compete. I know some is from new directors, but any thoughts, discussion etc?

Bloomington has a fairly new Director, but I believe this is his 3-4th year. Since he has started, the Band has improved significantly. So it is suffice to say the Director has a large part to do with it. He has raised the level of expectations and excitement for the Band program in general. He is was a Cavalier and he is quite the perfectionist. Talent and drive...a good combination.

The kids are also committed and talented. Bloomington does not have a history or much experience competing....this year is the first full year of competitions for the Band...and they are doing very well.

About 50% of the Band is freshman. This group of kids is a talented group. They were the first 6th grade Band to ever compete in the history of Bloomington Junior High. The high school was watching this group and really looking forward to them joining the Band. These kids came to camp this summer prepared and ready to work and put the camp ahead of schedule because they did so well.

I guess the overall feeling is there is such pride for this Band from the Director to the players to the parents and patrions who support the Band. I think the combination of all of these factors has helped the Marching Raiders improve remarkably!

I really hope this trend of improvement continues - it always seemed like there were a bunch of okay bands and then the "WOW! They're AMAZING!" Chicago bands.

I'd love to see that change, and I think it really could.

I know they're not exactly central Illinois, but I saw Belleville East at the Danville Classic Saturday, and I had never seen them before. They were really good, and their music was awesome. I recommend keeping an eye on them!

Sounds to me like Canton should be one of the most improved, especially after taking taking Grand Champion at Washington. Great job to Joe Roman and students!! I am a 1978 Alumni of Canton and proud that Joe has kept the band up to par with his predecessors. Congratulations!!!

Canton won GC for class 1A and 2A... IVC won it for 3A and 4A. They changed things up this year.

I think this giving GC for small and GC for large classes is a little strange. Maybe if it was a huge competition....and if it was classified by school size I would maybe like the idea a little more. Like at U of I they do that. However, at a small show by band size.....it just doesn't make sense to me.

Canton won GC for class 1A and 2A... IVC won it for 3A and 4A. They changed things up this year.

There was no Grand Champion Award for Canton. They won the overall Grand Champion Percussion award, but there was no GC for 1A-2A. There was an awards presentation for 1A-2A bands after Canton had finished.

There was no Grand Champion Award for Canton. They won the overall Grand Champion Percussion award, but there was no GC for 1A-2A. There was an awards presentation for 1A-2A bands after Canton had finished.

Yes, Actually there was. There was GC for 1/2A and one for 3/4A... like how U of I does. I don't know why this was though. I was there and I remember that announcement and being confused at it. Check Official Placements from WCHS.

Yes, Actually there was. There was GC for 1/2A and one for 3/4A... like how U of I does. I don't know why this was though. I was there and I remember that announcement and being confused at it. Check Official Placements from WCHS.

Washington had two awards ceremonies due to the size of the competition. The A / AA awards were around 5:00 pm and the AAA / AAAA were at 9:00 pm. Since all A / AA awards were done, the bands could leave and not have to stay until 9:00pm.

I believe one of the dark horses that is coming to life after several years in the dark ages is, Limestone. Last year was a big improvement to past years, and the new director is doing a great job. plus, new unis! black pants! I love me some black pants over white any day.

I believe one of the dark horses that is coming to life after several years in the dark ages is, Limestone. Last year was a big improvement to past years, and the new director is doing a great job. plus, new unis! black pants! I love me some black pants over white any day.

i agree...i enjoyed Limestones show on Saturday a lot.