Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
briar62

Southern Il Bands

What's up with southern Il bands? Don't here much talk on here about them. Seems most talk is about the bands in northern Il. We need to be promoting ourselves even though we might not be on the level as Marian C or Avon IN. Seems no one on here remembers that there are bands south of Kankakee. I love marching band and don't care where you are from, if you don't promote your schools band how will anyone know who you are. This post may get some of you up in arms, i don't care, at least you'll be talking. Back in the day when there was summer nationals at Whitewater WI, Illinois had bands make finals and place in the top 12. Monticello, Herscher, Olney and Newton, sorry if I left anyone out. Monticello was a consistant winner and Newton placed 5th and 6th. I know that times change and with time so does the name of the game. Many bands in the southern portion of the state can't afford to go out of state and some may have restrictions placed on them because of their administration, but that doesn't mean that we don't have some top notch bands in the southern part of the state. My rant is over for the moment, sorry if I stepped on anyones feet. I don't want to cause trouble, just want the southern part of the state to become more active on here.

I saw Belleville East for the first time Saturday. I had no idea what to expect, but I was really, really impressed. They had a great sound and were geniunely entertaining to watch (which is something I'd like to be able to say more often.). I didn't really think about bands from anywhere but the Chicago area or central Illinois, but they definetely changed that.

I don't think so. They're probably going to the Francis Howell Invitational which is on the same day. They've never gone to U of I when I've been there.