Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
pmkt16

Best area for music in the State?

Having hailed from that area as well, I'd say it's one of the strongest areas in the state overall. Now, before this erupts into a Chicago vs. the rest of the state argument, let me note that there are plenty of other excellent bands in other areas of the state (the college towns; St. Louis area, and plenty of others). There's also emphasis placed on different aspects of the music program in different areas, so while one may not be into competative marching band, they may have a wonderful orchestra or concert/jazz bands, etc.

All that said, growing up in Tinley Park and going to Andrew, I know what our district was like for IMEA auditions. It SUCKED to have to compete with that much talent. Ultimately, it was probably great to be challenged so much, and to regularly see other groups in performance and meet them in competition.

Anyone who's grown up in that area and had the opportunity to participate in this activity (over the past 10-15 years especially), should consider themselves very fortunate for the opportunities they've had. We should thank our parents and communities for supporting us!

Okay, well I'm horrible to where my school is in relation to Chicago but the two high schools in our district, Nequa (despite not having a great marching band) and Waubonsie are both good schools for music (both are Grammy award winning, twice in a row for the past two years as well as other times). I don't know if anyone agrees with me and you probably think I'm biased since I go to Waubonsie but...I still believe they're two amazing schools for music, especially since their public schools.

I still believe they're two amazing schools for music, especially since their public schools.

I'd have to disagree and say that being a public school doesn't mean you have a bad band. Other than Marian Catholic, I really think that the rest of the powerful bands are public, not to mention that the bands that usually make bands of the year on this cite in AAA are Marian, Prospect, LP, Lincoln Way(s), and VJ Andrew, 5 of which are public. Plus, public school = more funding.

I still believe they're two amazing schools for music, especially since their public schools.

I'd have to disagree and say that being a public school doesn't mean you have a bad band. Other than Marian Catholic, I really think that the rest of the powerful bands are public, not to mention that the bands that usually make bands of the year on this cite in AAA are Marian, Prospect, LP, Lincoln Way(s), and VJ Andrew, 5 of which are public. Plus, public school = more funding.

Yeah, true. I'm used to talking to people on a AOL message board and they're all amazed that I go to public school and have such a great band program because they talk about great programs being at arts schools and stuff.

But I don't think we really get that much funding for band. More than some schools yeah but...they had a list of things the school was trying to buy for various activities and groups and not a single thing had been aproved for the marching band and I know the colorguard is pushing for new pregame uniforms and the pit dads are pushing for our own truck.

Yeah, true. I'm used to talking to people on a AOL message board and they're all amazed that I go to public school and have such a great band program because they talk about great programs being at arts schools and stuff.

But I don't think we really get that much funding for band. More than some schools yeah but...they had a list of things the school was trying to buy for various activities and groups and not a single thing had been aproved for the marching band and I know the colorguard is pushing for new pregame uniforms and the pit dads are pushing for our own truck.

On fuding: The year I got into school, funding was cut 75% or so. The year after, another 10%. I can't remember what it's at right now.

Well, most programs that do have a lot of money have parent organizations that are very effective at fundraising. Without the support of parents and the community, the program can't add all of those touches (new unis, coach buses, new instruments, extra instructional staff, props...)

I know that when I was in school, we had a certain budget from the administration, but the parents both fundraised and put out a lot of cash that allowed us to go beyond that amount. This is fair, since it's their kids benefitting from the activity anyway.

I'd say Northern Illinois. More specifically the west, and southwest suburbs.

it does seem like the southwest suburbs do produce the best music in the state...

At least for Marching Band... other categories of music may be different.