Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Band8008

Central Illinois and BOA

Hey.....just wanted to see if any Central Illinois band who have not traditionally gone to BOA events are trying them out this year.

If your group never goes......do you have any idea why?

I gotta say, I'm kind of interested to see how you guys fare in Atlanta.

Me too. Over the years there has been a definite trend of Morton getting better each year. It'll be interesting to see what they pull off.

looking at the AA band list for the Atlanta Regional, I think they have a good shot for second or third place in their class.

There's:

Tarpon Springs

Brentwood

Morton

and some others that I don't really recognize right now.

thanks u guys, i really appreciate that. i honestly dont mind how atlanta turns out, but i must say i am pumped for it. we all try our hardest in the long run, and it turns out how it turns out. hope u all enjoy your BOA expirience.

Our idea is this - Atlanta is far enough away that we don't really have a name there at all, you know? So we just want to go and play a great show and have people talking about us.

Honestly, I'm most excited to get some good southern sweet tea. Nothing better.

;)

Our idea is this - Atlanta is far enough away that we don't really have a name there at all, you know? So we just want to go and play a great show and have people talking about us.

Honestly, I'm most excited to get some good southern sweet tea. Nothing better.

Indianapolis is far enough way where you don't really have a name there either.

Let's not kid ourselves or make ourselves sound "high and mighty." I don't really think any IL bands have "a name" in BOA except Marian, Prospect, Lake Park, and now LWE (in marching) and UT, Libertyville, Lockport, Hersey (in concert). Even if you do have a name - it doesn't mean you get favored (i.e. see Marian's finals placement last year at Grand Nationals). So it doesn't matter if you have a name somewhere or not.

Let's not kid ourselves or make ourselves sound "high and mighty." I don't really think any IL bands have "a name" in BOA except Marian, Prospect, Lake Park, and now LWE (in marching) and UT, Libertyville, Lockport, Hersey (in concert). Even if you do have a name - it doesn't mean you get favored (i.e. see Marian's finals placement last year at Grand Nationals). So it doesn't matter if you have a name somewhere or not.

Let's also not demean a group of kids' accomplishments. If Morton goes to Atlanta and places, that will be the second consecutive year that Morton has placed in their class at a BOA event. Does that mean they're a Grand National finalist? Nope. But that may mean that they start to get "a name" in AA at BOA. And I guarentee that there are people in Indianapolis that know who Morton is, because Norwell got beat by them last year.

Just like 5 years ago Morton didn't have a name in Illinois, and now they're beating traditional powerhouse groups like LWC and Hersey.

The initial poster in no way was being a braggart or trying to suggest that Morton is a household name amongst bands in the nation. The person was saying that Atlanta would be a good place to go and get a read on their show by people who had never seen it before.

Let's also not demean a group of kids' accomplishments. If Morton goes to Atlanta and places, that will be the second consecutive year that Morton has placed in their class at a BOA event. Does that mean they're a Grand National finalist? Nope. But that may mean that they start to get "a name" in AA at BOA. And I guarentee that there are people in Indianapolis that know who Morton is, because Norwell got beat by them last year.

Just like 5 years ago Morton didn't have a name in Illinois, and now they're beating traditional powerhouse groups like LWC and Hersey.

The initial poster in no way was being a braggart or trying to suggest that Morton is a household name amongst bands in the nation. The person was saying that Atlanta would be a good place to go and get a read on their show by people who had never seen it before.

That's what I meant to say. Sorry about the confusion, DesignedforBand.

So, being a freshman in Morton, what's Atlanta like? I mean I freaked out at ISU yesturday! It was deffinatly my best run! The judges were so nice and Neaves, Craig, and Hornsby were crying! What happens at Atlanta and what do we do? I mean we're there for a few days. Sorry if it's off topic you an always tell me at school this week!

So, being a freshman in Morton, what's Atlanta like? I mean I freaked out at ISU yesturday! It was deffinatly my best run! The judges were so nice and Neaves, Craig, and Hornsby were crying! What happens at Atlanta and what do we do? I mean we're there for a few days. Sorry if it's off topic you an always tell me at school this week!

take that crowd and multiply it by about 4.

also, while there was 2 previous Grand National Finalists at ISU, there'll be 8 previous finalists, with some consistent semifinalists as well.

Don't be scared, and you guys are going to make the state of Illinois proud. :)

Good because I was crying yesturday and I realized why I love marching so much! it's such a fun topic but I drive my family crazy with all my constant explaining. I'm so excited and nervous (in a good way!) Who is it that I'm talking to anyway?

Basically, If you perform like you did at ISU (which was a fantastic performance), people will remember you and I think you will do well. How well, eh, who knows? Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Just put on another great show! GOOD LUCK!

Good because I was crying yesturday and I realized why I love marching so much! it's such a fun topic but I drive my family crazy with all my constant explaining. I'm so excited and nervous (in a good way!) Who is it that I'm talking to anyway?

PM'd you.

Well thank you so much! I really did have a good time yesturday, but now my body is getting the aftermath <_< I just cant believe its over in a week, i'm going to have nothing to do! besides the school play, choir, homework, and church. but a marching forums site is no place for that!

Why did Grand Nationals get pushed back a week?  Anyone know? 

Also...

What kind of competition will Morton be up against in Atlanta?  I'm anxious to see how they do.

The only bands I've heard of that are attending are Tarpon Springs, FL; Carmel, IN; Center Grove, IN; and Kennesaw Mtn., GA.

Why did Grand Nationals get pushed back a week? Anyone know?

Also...

What kind of competition will Morton be up against in Atlanta? I'm anxious to see how they do.

The list of bands for all BOA events is on the Music For All website. You can still access through bands.org too :)

seeing as how I follow national marching band a lot more than Illinois marching band, I thought I'd add my .02 about bands that stand a chance/I know really well.

Class AA

Tarpon Springs High School-Tarpon Springs will win this class. Period. Their 2007 program is entitled "En Garde." Already have won their class at one regional this year, the St. Petersburg regional. Also placed 2nd there. It's unfortunate that they aren't going to Grand Nationals this year.

Brentwood-Brentwood, TN

2007 program is "Breaking Point," featuring Abram's Pursuit (David Holsinger), One Day I'll Fly Away (Moulin Rouge), and Sevens (Samuel Hazo). Not too sure how their 2007 season is going, as they pulled out of the Clarksville regional in order to compete in another circuit.

Class AAA

Kennesaw Mountain-Kennesaw, GA

2007 program is "Picture This." There's a video of them on YouTube floating around somewhere that I don't really want to link to. Music includes Niagara Falls by Michael Daugherty. Won the St. Petersburg regional over Tarpon Springs, and look to do the same this weekend.

Carmel HS-Carmel, IN

Show is entitled "Boundaries", with original music by Richard Saucedo. Carmel's looking to rebound from a bit of an off year last year. Carmel always seems to do quite well at regionals, so look for them in the top 3 here.

Center Grove HS-Greenwood, IN

Show is entitled "Malum." Music includes, "Serenada Schizophrana Mvt. I" - Danny Elfman "Big My Secret" - Michael Nyman "Despair" - David Reeves, Michael Klesch" Now We Are Free" - Hans Zimmer. CG looks to rebound from missing finals last season with what is being called a step in the right direction, having beaten powerhouse Lawrence Central twice already this season. Before this, the last time it happened was in 1999.