Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Balash

DCI Show Announcements

Cavies have posted audio to their 2007 program, "And So It Goes"

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDmF1DI1Q74

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi_hYlOdJKQ

I hope Phantom enjoyed last year atop the percussion standings, because it sounds like the Cavies drumline has finished their growing pains with Casella and are back in full form.

Wow.

And, in general, better arrangements than I had envisioned when I orginally heard their concept. Visual will be stunning, no doubt. Cavies will contend again this year.

Has anybody been able to find any Phantom stuff online? I'm really excited to hear what they're putting together as well!!

Cavies have posted audio to their 2007 program, "And So It Goes"

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDmF1DI1Q74

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi_hYlOdJKQ

I hope Phantom enjoyed last year atop the percussion standings, because it sounds like the Cavies drumline has finished their growing pains with Casella and are back in full form.

Wow.

And, in general, better arrangements than I had envisioned when I orginally heard their concept. Visual will be stunning, no doubt. Cavies will contend again this year.

Has anybody been able to find any Phantom stuff online? I'm really excited to hear what they're putting together as well!!

I have heard them. Cool show. Mellos are rediculous. The music is good, but it doesn't get me really excited......main gripe is that I'm tired of hearing Strav's Firebird in shows ;)

Great piece....overplayed

it's a bit overplayed in Illinois marching band, yes. Across the country, no. It hasn't been played by a top 12 corps since 1997.

I love hearing Firebird, and it will never get old.

Edit: Ride's wayyyyyyyyy more overplayed than Firebird. I never really see anybody complaining.

it's a bit overplayed in Illinois marching band, yes. Across the country, no. It hasn't been played by a top 12 corps since 1997.

I love hearing Firebird, and it will never get old.

Edit: Ride's wayyyyyyyyy more overplayed than Firebird. I never really see anybody complaining.

Like I said....I love The Firebird.....but like Ride... I think they are overplayed ;)

However, I think the real difference between the 2 is that the Firebird is a great piece of music, and Ride is sort of a flavor of the month. It has been done a lot the last few years since it was published....but it will pass and the firebird will remain!

June 16, 2007 Scores

DCI Salutes America-Annapolis, MD

1. 73.90 Cavaliers

2. 71.60 Bluecoats

3. 70.70 Cadets

4. 70.35 Carolina Crown

5. 61.85 Glassmen

6. 60.90 Spirit from JSU

NAMM Hot Chops Award (Best Brass): Carolina Crown

Major props to DCI for doing the webcast free of charge to everyone.

Some thoughts:

-Bluecoats, Crown, and Cavies have a major groove to their show.

-Cadets. (Think of a nice way to say this.) Wayyyyyyyyyy too much narration. Very self indulging.

Drums Along the Rapids-Coon Rapids, MN

Division I

1 Phantom Regiment 72.800

2 Blue Knights 67.050

3 Colts 65.600

4 Blue Stars 62.650

5 Pioneer 53.750

Division III

1 Capital Sound 53.500

All age corps

1 Minnesota Brass, Inc. 66.950

2 Govenaires 61.138

3 Chops, Inc. 58.438

Pleasant Hill, CA

Division I

1. 75.90 - Blue Devils

2. 75.40 - Santa Clara Vanguard

3. 63.40 - Mandarins

Division II

1. 66.20 - Blue Devils B

2. 63.70 - Vanguard Cadets

Division III

1. 57.05 - Impulse

2. 56.30 - Fever

3. 45.60 - Blue Devils C

Cavaliers have a much better musical package this year over what they had last year, IMO. True though, it's not that exciting. It's definitely a Cavlaiers departure from their norm.

I don't think PR percussion will be dethroned. Cavaliers percussion writing is not close to PR. Just my opinion.

Cadets and their crazy narration..........their arrangement of Blue Shades and Symphonic Movement on their website was awesome - why ruin it with talking???

I watched that show on the webcast. I was not happy at all with the direction the Cadets took with it. The whole show reminds me of Kennesaw Mountain 2004 and is one big commercial for how they think the "Cadets are the only ones that work hard."

The music is awesome, the narration is awful.

Unless changed drastically, the Cadets are going to be a corps that do not get my money this summer.

That is pretty good stuff. I wonder if their pit will match that ability.

Still - the actual writing is nothing compared to the intricate rhythms and subtleties that PR has with Rennick's writing. The Rennicks' writing is very unique (since she writes for pit, and he writes for front ensemble) and I think the fact that they can collaborate makes it all that much better.

This Cadets clip reminds me of Blue Devils. They just play straight forward fast and loud stuff very well - but the intricate, or eccentric, patterns and rhythms just aren't as present as they are in PR - and PR masters them.

That's why PR was untouchable towards the end last year, and with only losing 2 snares, 1 tenor, 1 bass, and 2-3 front ensemble - I think they will be that way again this year.

That is pretty good stuff. I wonder if their pit will match that ability.

Still - the actual writing is nothing compared to the intricate rhythms and subtleties that PR has with Rennick's writing. The Rennicks' writing is very unique (since she writes for pit, and he writes for front ensemble) and I think the fact that they can collaborate makes it all that much better.

This Cadets clip reminds me of Blue Devils. They just play straight forward fast and loud stuff very well - but the intricate, or eccentric, patterns and rhythms just aren't as present as they are in PR - and PR masters them.

That was just a ram section of the Cadets show. I think they're staged behind the back hash for that section, and there's not much interplay with the pit there. (not sure, though). They play more subtle stuff throughout.

PR last year had a good book, but Rennick's writing isn't the be all end all, or the only writing that includes percussive subtleties, dynamics, etc. It's very good, but I think Casella is right there with him, along with others. It just depends what part of the show you hear. Each show has parts of ram, along with more savory stuff.

The big difference with last year (as opposed to the year before) was that PR had some players. That line played the crap out of the show, and really performed it. I expect they'll be competitive this year as well, but it sounds like this should really be a great year for people who love percussion, because I've liked almost everything I've heard percussion-wise from the Cavies, Blue Devils, Bluecoats, and Cadets. I havn't heard any of Phantom's line stuff, though. They need to get some of their stuff on YouTube. The only thing I've been able to find has been some stuff PR played for an encore at a show the other night. (Festive Overture, etc.)

DCI Scores 6/19:

SUMMER MUSIC GAMES in Cincinnati

1 The Cadets 75.100

2 Bluecoats 74.400

3 Glassmen 64.650

4 Madison Scouts 63.550

5 Southwind 58.200

Sioux Empire Spectacular

Division I

1 Phantom Regiment 75.750

2 Blue Knights 69.350

3 Colts 66.500

4 Blue Stars 64.140

5 Troopers 61.600

6 Pioneer 55.650

Division II

1 Colt Cadets 47.850

It's kind of odd how PR isn't meeting any of the Top 5 corps from last year until Lisle, and even then only Bluecoats.

I'll be there - should be interesting to see. I was super impressed with Bluecoats last year (not only percussion, but the whole package). I can't wait to see what's in store this year.

I was super impressed with Bluecoats last year (not only percussion, but the whole package). I can't wait to see what's in store this year.

DFB-

I really dig Bluecoat's "Criminal" so far. Check out YouTube (search Bluecoats 2007). Pretty cool show, from what I've seen.

It's kind of odd how PR isn't meeting any of the Top 5 corps from last year until Lisle, and even then only Bluecoats.

I'll be there - should be interesting to see. I was super impressed with Bluecoats last year (not only percussion, but the whole package). I can't wait to see what's in store this year.

Lisle is only a week into the season. Plus, I think DCI controls the scheduling now. They defintely try to mix & match various corps against each other over the course of the season, though.

I'm looking forward to going to the Lisle and Oswego shows.

DCI Scores 6/20:

Waves of Thunder-Decatur, IN

1 The Cavaliers 77.100

2 Bluecoats 75.450

3 Glassmen 66.000

4 Madison Scouts 61.100

5 Southwind 59.350

Omaha Summer Music Games

Division I

1 Phantom Regiment 76.500

2 Blue Knights 71.000

3 Colts 67.650

4 Blue Stars 64.500

5 Troopers 60.400

6 Pioneer 55.600

Division II

1 Colt Cadets 45.850

Dan,

I think it's great you are doing score updates. But I think it's just clogging the forum. Just have people check them on DCI.org - they have recaps there too.

Just a thought.

Going to any shows???

PS. I can't believe Cadets scored a 78! GAG!