Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Balash

DCI Show Announcements

Just in case anyone didn't know,

It's official now,

Cavaliers-The Music of Billy Joel

I'll come right out and say that I'm extremely skeptical, I mean, music might still be pretty good, but what the heck can they do visually????

While I can't say I'm a huge fan of this show concept......they will approach it visually how they have approached their shows for years or how any corps would approach a visual design.

It isn't any different than any other show.......so I don't really follow your statement.

It's official now,

I'll come right out and say that I'm extremely skeptical, I mean, music might still be pretty good, but what the heck can they do visually????

No idea what they can to with it visually, but you can be sure that the crazy europeans drum corps fans will be thrilled just to see them walk on the field. They're drunk before the show even starts haha.

It isn't any different than any other show.......so I don't really follow your statement.

What I meant was, at least for me, there is no central "theme" to which they can incorporate little things into their show. Like last year for instance, they did a lot of robotic-like motions and such. But I don't see what they can do with Billy Joel. Just my take though.

I've heard strong rumors that it's called "Parts and the Whole" featuring Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap, Exultate by Sam Hazo, and whatever the fans picked for their "open source" idea, which is going to be announced I believe on the 10th of December. Nevertheless, I get a Cadets shirt

:)

From yea.org:

When George Hopkins, via an on line story right here at www.yea.org, asked for ideas on programming for the Cadets, he expected about 50 responses.

Well, there were 431 responses of some kind received via e-mail, snail mail, courier, and just about every method imaginable.

The Cadets program is going to be announced Sunday, December 10th at a reception before the corps

sometimes rumors are correct tho. example, the weird al song 'the saga begins' was writen and recored and placed on the master for the 'running with scissors' album before star wars was released based only on rumors.

It's official now,

Just for your information, it's not official yet, the music still has to be announced. Remember this, The Cavaliers for the past 7 years have been a CONCEPT corps, playing Billy Joel songs, is not a concept. They said they are going to be doing a show based on an american icon. It'll be official when they announce the songs. :)

It's official now,

Just for your information, it's not official yet, the music still has to be announced. Remember this, The Cavaliers for the past 7 years have been a CONCEPT corps, playing Billy Joel songs, is not a concept. They said they are going to be doing a show based on an american icon. It'll be official when they announce the songs. :)

So then does anyone know when they'll announce the songs for their show? Because I'm kind of interested to see how their show will work this year.

well i think it is official on this one...title of article on cavaliers.org: The Cavaliers to Perform Music of an American Icon.

first sentence from said article: The summer of 2007 will see The Cavaliers explore the music of one of the world's most celebrated musicians: Billy Joel.

specific repetoire and show title will be announced later, but that pretty much says to me "here's what we're doin"

Cavaliers were able to take 007 in 2004 to another championship. During the winter, many critics predicted that this show wouldn't be competitive. So, you never know about the Cavaliers. I think they will surprise everybody with how they put the music of Billy Joel on the field.

Splooie! :)

well i think it is official on this one...title of article on cavaliers.org: The Cavaliers to Perform Music of an American Icon.

first sentence from said article: The summer of 2007 will see The Cavaliers explore the music of one of the world's most celebrated musicians: Billy Joel.

specific repetoire and show title will be announced later, but that pretty much says to me "here's what we're doin"

Point duely noted, and agreed, but also has a counteroint :P

It also says "explore the music of" now that can be taken many ways, but the predictionalist in me wants to go with more along the lines, of actually exploring his music, not just song selections dba retro DCI 70's Bridgemen shows. Going off the basis that we (might) agree on the idea that the Cavaliers are a concept corps, that as a concept, might go in a progression of style changes Billy Joel went through, since he has done about 35 albums. :lol: but what do I know, I'm just a fan.

what's all the 007 bashing? besides Scheherazade, it was the best show out there...and c'mon SCV i understand what you were going for, but loose the extra ending. 007 was a great show, deserved to win, and did win.

Cadets announce their show:

http://www.yea.org/site/News2?page=NewsArt...ws_iv_ctrl=1002

Carneys Point, N.J. - Several hours into The Cadets' first full-corps' camp and a renewed spirit had taken hold. The beautiful melody of the trademark techniques arrangement "Simple Gifts" filled Penns Grove High School. Even more gripping a day later was the corps' hornline taking charge of two minutes of the 2007 season opener, "Symphonic Movement," a composition of Vaclay Nelhybel.

It was an exciting start to the new season for the corps as more than 140 veterans and rookies met this weekend in Southern New Jersey to begin preparation for another trademark Cadets' field program.

The weekend was jam-packed, and included the announcement of 2007 show music and concept, the introduction of a new drum major, then emotional goodbyes at the 2006 Annual Banquet on Sunday in Philadelphia.

Some sections realized an incredible turn-out, including baritones and mellophones, and more than 35 hopefuls from all sections auditioned for a place in the nine-time World Champion corps. More than 30 percent of those who came to the weekend camp were returning veterans of the corps, according to Megh Healy, Director of Performing Ensembles for Youth Education in the Arts.

Cadets showed up in volume from several states, including 15 from Florida and 12 from Massachusetts. Individuals also traveled from as far as Canada, Michigan, California and even Japan and the Netherlands.

Back to the Block

There comes a point in time for a trend-setting drum corps such as The Cadets when going back to some of those things that made you what you are could be a good thing. In the words of Cadets' Director George Hopkins, "how far out there can you go before you look and decide to take a step back?"

Hopkins presented ideas from the 2007 Creative Team to the corps, then later to donors and the YEA! Board of Directors, revealing The Cadets' program titled "This I Believe. Truth, Value and the Personal Experience Called Drum Corps."

The show will, in effect, explain what this drum corps is about, said Hopkins. Through segments, or parts that make a whole, The Cadets will relay its traditional philosophy throughout its history - goal setting, diversity, practice and performance.

Music selections remain on the table for discussion by the Creative Team. Confirmed is the opener, "Symphonic Movement," which is now being written for the hornline by Arranger Jay Bocook and the percussion section by Caption Supervisor and Arranger Tom Aungst. Arranger Neil Larrivee will write for The Cadets' front ensemble.

"We are going to work this show around our kids," Hopkins told a group of supporters and benefactors Sunday morning prior to the 2006 banquet. "Drum corps is life altering for kids. If those people in the stands really knew it was about kids, they wouldn't "boo" at the end of a show," Hopkins said, referring to fan reaction to the corps' 2006 program.

The corps will play off the traditional side of its success, incorporating true Cadets' innovation at the same time. Fans will likely see the "block" entrance that's become a statement for the corps since the late 1980s. And deviating from recent years, a storyline will not take priority, said Hopkins. What will take precedence is an avenue for this drum corps and its diverse membership to shine in their absolute strengths.

Also, ending some speculation, the classic maroon and gold West Point-style uniform will be worn.

While going back to much of the corps' roots will be the foundation for 2007, the Creative Team's juices also started flowing from a unique venture begun many weeks ago as Hopkins sought public input for program inspiration using the business-strategy Open Source method.

More than 400 ideas were sent to the Allentown, Pa.., office of Youth Education in the Arts, swamping Hopkins, the corps' Program Coordinator, and his team with more to review than they ever bargained. Several partial concepts submitted in the contest are being used or are under consideration, including the opener and the ballad.

"This show will have a lot of notes and use a lot of fingers. We need 135 of the highest quality people to perform it. And we will choose to keep a hole on the field until we find them," Hopkins said.

Another goal has been set to have the first four minutes of show music taught to the hornline by the end of the Dec. 28-31 camp. The percussion section will follow a camp behind to allow for possible changes in arrangements, he said.

New drum major announced

Marcus Harrison, 21, of Kennesaw, Ga., was introduced as the new drum major to the corps.

Harrison will stand alongside returning drum major Chris Castille, a fourth-year Cadet from New Iberia, La.

Twenty candidates auditioned for the position, a good many of which would have made outstanding leaders for the corps, Hopkins said. This year was a departure from the norm for The Cadets, opening the drum major opportunity to non-veterans. Of those who auditioned, five were veterans.

The audition process, held Nov.17-19 in New Jersey and Nov. 24-26 in Atlanta, Ga., included interviews, leadership and skills training.

"The goal was that those who auditioned walked out of here feeling like they got something out of it," Hopkins told veterans of the corps. "In the end, we found a truly great, great person. He's really the most perfect person I could have found to be a non-Cadet drum major. He's a great conductor, got a great personality and has strong leadership abilities."

This is Harrison's third time being a drum major during his first year with a different DCI corps. He was drum major for The Magic of Orlando, Fla., in 2003, then the Santa Clara Vanguard of Santa Clara, Calif., in 2004. Taking two years off from the activity in 2005 and 2006 was one of the hardest things he's done, Harrison admits. But school took priority as he works to complete a major in biochemistry and minor in music on flute at Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, Ga.

The Cadets were always his ʽdream corps,' as he was greatly influenced during his days at McEachern High School in Powder Springs, Ga. Cadets' Brass Caption Supervisor Gino Cipriani, and many others with corps' connections, taught Harrison at the school during his formative years.

His first weekend in a leadership role with The Cadets has been an amazing experience, Harrison said. The corps has welcomed him openly and his respect for The Cadets grows with every interaction. He's approaching the job by fully immersing himself, something he can't help but do - it's ingrained in him, Harrison laughs.

"These people are great. I love the work ethic here," Harrison said. "There's such an optimistic outlook in all the corps members because they know how much they can achieve."