Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
ILikeDrums

Why can't I post

Note the changes made to the board in the news section, found here. You may not start a new topic until you are a full member. IE you have made at least 10 posts. When u get past 10 posts, u will no longer be a potential member, and you will be able to post new thread.

Ah, I see. I understand why you do this, but at the same time, I think it creates significant barrier to entry that is likely to hurt participation. If you were one of my clients (I do consulting work that involves this kind of thing for companies), I would strongly suggest eliminating that requirement.

Just my $0.02.

this is a new feature to the board, just added in recent weeks. It was added for a very specific reason. People would come onto these boards, makes a new account, and begin making threads bashing other programs. This was made to make posters have at least some posting history before they begin putting new stuff up. 10 posts is reasonable. Ive seen some boards that require 50 posts before your a full member. Thats a little over the top for me.

I wanted to start a new topic in the Contests/Scores section, but it says I'm not authorized to do that? Why is that?

As you may have seen, you have 11 posts now, so you can start new topics ;)

We were having problems with people getting on here and attacking specific programs or spamming the board with their first post (including users who already had accounts, but set up a second one in order to launch those attacks, hoping they wouldn't get caught). The response was to do something that tons of message boards do: require a minimum post count before starting a new topic. Of course this won't stop everything, but it should hopefully discourage some of that behavior.

Even before you have 10 posts, though, you could always post on existing topics.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this