Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
BillyIdol

Review: ISU Finals

And just wondering, how many people thought that LWE was better than MC?

I actually DID prefere LWE over MC. There show had alot more crowd appeal for me and more GE. Needless to say it was just more interesting in music and drill.

I would still put MC on top, as they have a lot of room to grow, while I'm not so sure LWE can get too much better, but that being said they were definitely my two favorite shows by far.

I stand corrected, I was not aware that LWE's season was over, so I would put LWE on top based on what I saw. MC was good but like I said, they're growing, LWE was as good as they were going to get (go figure, they're seaon is over).

Marian Catholic's show is very well Played however i feel that they could do so much more. Not just adding more but the way they play it out. They have so much maore they could give even though there show is already amazing

Thanks DesignedForBand,

The info I had only went back to 1994 I believe. And just wondering, how many people thought that LWE was better than MC? I know it wasn't as close in prelims, but having seen both bands in finals, I thought LWE gave a more convincing performance.

In my opinion LWE was much more interestin that Marion so I would have to say that LWE was better than MC. Of course though I am not a judge so I can't really say...

Pure horror... a band finally reaches up that isn't Marian Catholic or Lake Park and has a chance to win ISU (which they should've) and they only have one more year until Lincoln Way East, becomes LWE and LWN (Lincoln Way North), and even worse in two years Lincoln Way Central becomes LWC and LWW (Lincoln Way West)... so these schools can't really get much better and if they're going to do it... they better do it soon

Pure horror... a band finally reaches up that isn't Marian Catholic or Lake Park and has a chance to win ISU (which they should've) and they only have one more year until Lincoln Way East, becomes LWE and LWN (Lincoln Way North), and even worse in two years Lincoln Way Central becomes LWC and LWW (Lincoln Way West)... so these schools can't really get much better and if they're going to do it... they better do it soon

YOu make it sound like it's the death of the Lincoln-Way program. Sure, the next few years are rebuilding years. But when the fabulous LW split to LWE/LWC, they are still fabulous. I personally wasnt around when they split, so i dont know the details, but i know LW was great, and i know LWE and LWC are great. Itll take a few years, but the entire LW program will prevail. my goodness, with 4 of them, that just decrease the number of good bands that will get into finals, i shudder to think. when the time comes, i believe all 4 LW programs will be bands to look out for if you plan to win any thing.

i believe all 4 LW programs will be bands to look out for if you plan to win any thing.

it is very premature, but ultimatly, i think the lw's will rank in the following order of success, say 4 yrs after the spilts happen and have settled.

1) LW North

2) LW East

3) LW West

4) LW Central

5) LW South

south and west can be flipped since i don't recall of hand which one is going to be opening in 3ish years and which one will be open at some TBA date as the 5th LW. But the one coming in the gray area between new lenox and mahatten will be ahead of the one purly in manhatten (which is the one i have peged at 5th), just initally b/c of the growth that has yet to happen there. If you're really curious about the other rankings, PM me or message me on facebook and i'll explain the rational in deeper detail.

i believe all 4 LW programs will be bands to look out for if you plan to win any thing.

it is very premature, but ultimatly, i think the lw's will rank in the following order of success, say 4 yrs after the spilts happen and have settled.

1) LW North

2) LW East

3) LW West

4) LW Central

5) LW South

south and west can be flipped since i don't recall of hand which one is going to be opening in 3ish years and which one will be open at some TBA date as the 5th LW. But the one coming in the gray area between new lenox and mahatten will be ahead of the one purly in manhatten (which is the one i have peged at 5th), just initally b/c of the growth that has yet to happen there. If you're really curious about the other rankings, PM me or message me on facebook and i'll explain the rational in deeper detail.

You've got 5 schools listed there. From what I understand the referendum that passed was only to build 2 new schools, though no doubt a 5th will be needed eventually. I'll check to be sure, since I have a neice that teaches at LW-C but I think it's only 4 schools in the immediate future. The North campus to be built first and then the West campus.

1) LW North

2) LW East

3) LW West

4) LW Central

5) LW South

My cousin goes to LWE so that's why all my posts are about them... (my school doesn't have a band)... and she said that since the majority of the kids will still be at East, and it has the stronger of the 3 feading programs East will probably still be better than North... so

1 East

2 North (they're gonna have a real amazing director)

3 Central

4 West

as kid309 points out...Lincoln-Way South is a school that may be built when the population in Manhattan grows enough to warrant it. there was some mention about it during the North/West referrendum, but they anticipate not needing it for another 10 years...but as of now there are no plans for building the 5th school, just looking ahead.

You've got 5 schools listed there. From what I understand the referendum that passed was only to build 2 new schools, though no doubt a 5th will be needed eventually. I'll check to be sure, since I have a neice that teaches at LW-C but I think it's only 4 schools in the immediate future. The North campus to be built first and then the West campus.

The referendum was for 4 schools, east spliting into east/north and central spliting into central/west, but they are plannign for a 5th school. LW owns the land south in manhattan and i think the referendum specifically stated the need for a fifth school (i read it back when i voted on it, but that was a few months ago now, so the memory is a bit hazy). They own land down there [manhattan], they bought it in '04 when they sold the land at 191st and harlem and central's athletic complex at cedar and laraway (which they are retaining possession of for awhile, but they no longer 'own' it). There will be a south, unless some economic disaster happens and chicago stops migrating south, its just going to be a matter of time. I expect having 5 LWs by 2015, at the absolute latest.

If nothing else, the LW district wants (or should want) to get the splits finished before the current superintendent retires. He is a very good administrator, i haven't always agreed with how he handles things, but he does it very well. There is no guarentee that his successor will do as great of a job with handling the splits. From a business point of view (which is what a school district ultimatly is), even if its not explicitly needed, LW should get this over with while they have as competant of a leader as they do (I think the voters will also understand that if/when it is put to a vote).

The referendum was for 4 schools, east spliting into east/north and central spliting into central/west, but they are plannign for a 5th school. LW owns the land south in manhattan and i think the referendum specifically stated the need for a fifth school (i read it back when i voted on it, but that was a few months ago now, so the memory is a bit hazy). They own land down there [manhattan], they bought it in '04 when they sold the land at 191st and harlem and central's athletic complex at cedar and laraway (which they are retaining possession of for awhile, but they no longer 'own' it). There will be a south, unless some economic disaster happens and chicago stops migrating south, its just going to be a matter of time. I expect having 5 LWs by 2015, at the absolute latest.

If nothing else, the LW district wants (or should want) to get the splits finished before the current superintendent retires. He is a very good administrator, i haven't always agreed with how he handles things, but he does it very well. There is no guarentee that his successor will do as great of a job with handling the splits. From a business point of view (which is what a school district ultimatly is), even if its not explicitly needed, LW should get this over with while they have as competant of a leader as they do (I think the voters will also understand that if/when it is put to a vote).

I disagree.

While the entire area has boomed over the past 10 years, I see the housing market slowing to a point where newer developments will not be as attractive as once were.

Resale values in New Lenox, especially in newer developments, are not very attractive.

It's fine to think that there may eventually be expansion further to Manhattan, but that depends on the economy. There will be a lot of foreclosures upcoming. Many people took advantage of the little or no money down culture created by banks. That is certain in suburbs like Olympia Fields, Richton Park and eventually in Shorewood and Minooka.

I wouldn't bet on an LW South even in the long-term.

They are not planning the area well enough. It's going to turn into Orland Park all over again. Congestion city.

And as far as Lincoln-Way Bands..

Who cares? I like their programs but nothing will be watered down. There is no guarentee that any of the new schools will be better or worse in music than the existing two. There's no 'death'.

Personally, I think more can be done with fewer students.

In any case, the band could revert to a co-op, like Plymouth-Canton Educational Park or Brother Rice/St. Laurence do and combine.

Jeez, it's strange to put something other than a C or E after the LW. :blink:

Shoooot....I'm still just getting used to there being a letter after "LW" in the first place! ;) With all the splits going on, they may have to bring Kummer back.

For the record....Lincoln-Way, B.S. (before split) did win ISU back in 1999, I do believe. And...yeah, I'm tooting my own horn...LW did beat MC back '93, but that was at the Wheaton North competition, which I believe was a week or two weeks before ISU.

Someday, I'm going to get myself back into Illinois the weekend of ISU and attend it just for old times sake.

Excuse me for being blunt, but whoever gets Alan Spaeth wins among the Lincoln-Way's.  Clifton Smith is legendary, but if he goes to North and Bert Johnson and Alan Spaeth stay at East, East by a landslide.

i've heard other rumors for directors that i would put above johnson and smith's schools also. not just alan, tho he will rock wherever he goes.

Jeez, it's strange to put something other than a C or E after the LW.  :blink:

Shoooot....I'm still just getting used to there being a letter after "LW" in the first place! ;) With all the splits going on, they may have to bring Kummer back.

For the record....Lincoln-Way, B.S. (before split) did win ISU back in 1999, I do believe. And...yeah, I'm tooting my own horn...LW did beat MC back '93, but that was at the Wheaton North competition, which I believe was a week or two weeks before ISU.

Someday, I'm going to get myself back into Illinois the weekend of ISU and attend it just for old times sake.

I think 1993 was the year that Marian flip-flopped their show a few weeks before Grand Nationals. Redid their entire opener and closer.

Who's going to be LWN's director?

Jeez, it's strange to put something other than a C or E after the LW.  :blink:

Psssh, it's weird putting ANYTHING behind LW. Yes, I'm old.

Alan Spaeth is planning on staying at East with Bert Johnson... but Clifton Smith is going to Lincoln Way North

I didn't see a lot of the finals bands at ISU after my bands performance, (it was raining, and due to the fact that my instrument's case was missing I wasn't back in the stadium for maybe an hour) but I did see a few. Which band did "Around the World in 10 Minutes?" I liked that one, and there were a few others I liked, but I can't remember the names of the all the bands. (I think one was Lincoln-Way East...?)

I was pretty happy with the scores. It was no surprise for me that Marian Catholic won. Haven't they won Grand Champian for like twenty years or something?

Did anyone see the show in prelims "The Dream of Angus?" Was that Collinsville? I'd never sen a show like that and I thought it was pretty interesting, even though it was sort of weird...

Where did you all find what director is going where? I go to LWE and I didn't know

no one really knows. it all speculation among fans, alums, and marching members of who is doing what or going where. I would expect something offical in the late fall/winter the year before north opens. thats about the time that we knew clif was going to central and wellman was going to take over east.

and before anyone jumps at tries to kill me, i know that isn't what actually happened. smith got accepted to grad school and left to pursue his ph. d in conducting and wellman went to central. east got the better deal (in my mind) with geting melissa goff for 2 seasons (before she fell victim to the whole of the band staff getting released from the district, minus the one tenured member who lost her dept chair position and was moved to the other campus). Smith returned to LWE the next fall, with bert johnson as assistant director, and since they have more or less team lead the marching griffins.

But back to north, there is no for sure at this point. I've heard many different rumors about directors bouncing from east to there, central to there, and a number of different names for someone coming from outside the LW district. I have my hopes for people, but i'm not going to go into them b/c they are purly speculation.

Did anyone see the show in prelims "The Dream of Angus?" Was that Collinsville? I'd never sen a show like that and I thought it was pretty interesting, even though it was sort of weird...

I didn't see it, but I heard it, they sounded pretty nice from where I was at, it's definately an interesting show. At least the pit sounded together.