Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
BillyIdol

Locking LOCKPORT thread uncalled for.

FACT: Lockport has done well competitively at competitions this year.

So what if a member asks people for their opinions and/or thoughts? Why is that 'frowned upon'? In this case, the band member was not fishing for compliments. At least it did not appear that way to me.

Competition is good and healthy. Without the competitive spirit, marching band is BORING. It's an art and all, but trying to play it all P-C just doesn't sit well with me.

I encourage people to ask questions. If they want to know how people view their band, so be it.

It shouldn't be considered a cardinal sin to list facts or achievements and ask what people may or may not think of that. To be frowned upon for something like that just shows the jealousy of those crusading to stop it.

those threads never start out as bad. They always start out with the intention of friendly competitive banter, but the usually turn ugly. After a few years moderating, ilmarching and isuquinndog have learned to nip those in the bud pretty quick. Competition is great, but not to the point it gets nasty. Dont hate them for it, they dont want to see these boards corrupt so they end it quickly.

those threads never start out as bad. They always start out with the intention of friendly competitive banter, but the usually turn ugly. After a few years moderating, ilmarching and isuquinndog have learned to nip those in the bud pretty quick. Competition is great, but not to the point it gets nasty. Dont hate them for it, they dont want to see these boards corrupt so they end it quickly.

I think the police on these boards need to find better things to do with their time.

I think the police on these boards need to find better things to do with their time.

Lockport has plenty of comments and kudos elsewhere, so does Marian, and there's a post asking for comments for them too, and you'll notice it's being ignored. That person is NOT new to the board and should know it's frowned upon.

I told the Lockport newbie that this was considered "un-cool" and to look under other topics for comments.

This person was not offended, so why are you on their behalf?

Message boards have to have moderators, this is what they're supposed to do with their time. It was explained why these posts are not allowed and quite frankly you are displaying the very behavior that makes them unpopular.

Lockport has plenty of comments and kudos elsewhere, so does Marian, and there's a post asking for comments for them too, and you'll notice it's being ignored. That person is NOT new to the board and should know it's frowned upon.

I told the Lockport newbie that this was considered "un-cool" and to look under other topics for comments.

This person was not offended, so why are you on their behalf?

Message boards have to have moderators, this is what they're supposed to do with their time. It was explained why these posts are not allowed and quite frankly you are displaying the very behavior that makes them unpopular.

There are far worse cases than the two you cite.

I think you stepped over the line. Taking pre-emptive action with those who have a history of such behavior may be one thing, but what is everyone afraid of? I haven't seen anything bad from either post.

It's pretty easy to delete posts and threads right now. I happen to think posts like yours (and not private messages) are part of the problem. Sometimes it's worth lecturing high school kids, but this is so trivial.

How many times must people be lectured on how to behave? Especially when their posts do not, in my opinion, warrant such action? I mean, come on, it doesn't make any logical sense. I'm all for taking pre-emptive action where there is history of a problem.. but both of those posts do not reflect what problem you are trying to avoid.

personally i agree with you billyidol i dont see what the problem is. If a band member wants to know what is good or bad about his/her show, then people should give them an honest opinion back and there wont be any problems. as far as bandmom

Lockport has plenty of comments and kudos elsewhere, so does Marian, and there's a post asking for comments for them too, and you'll notice it's being ignored. That person is NOT new to the board and should know it's frowned upon

im sorry i didnt know wanting to know if the last movement of the show made sense or if our music was there or not or etc. was some kindof sin. i know for a fact that the person who posted the marian 06 topic wasn't lookin for people to say o they were amazing and blah blah blah he/she was just lookin for a honest evaluation. so as far as shutting down the lockport topic and probably the marian 06 topic. i say calm down because it is really unnescessary. just my opinion

Maybe it would be a good idea to start a thread and ask for people to pm you with their responses.

HAving been here awhile, its true that these threads are started with good intentions, but they always end up with someones band getting bashed or turning into a why so and so is better than so and so...and it gets ugly.

Heres what I have to say...Lockport, you are a good band and congratulations on the year you are having.

BillyIdol and others, you are welcome to discuss this with me via PM. As is standard practice all over the internet, I am also locking this topic (some boards ban members who post "why was my topic locked" posts, but I always thought that was silly).

I also plan to think through this issue in the next few weeks and come up with some clear guidelines, which I will post and put under the Board Guidlines link at the top of your page ;).