Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Triplefunk

Complete Band Program turn arounds

What is the biggest turn around in the recent years that you can think of? The one I'm most impressed with is Limestone. although I worked there for a year, this year, they have drastically improved, and to say the least, I'm quite impressed. Discuss!

I'm not trying to brag about my old band at all, but I think the program at Watseka has turned around completely within the last one or two years. My hope is that we can establish ourselves as a consistent band from year to year and be more than a band that was just a flash in the pan.

-Ben

I'm not trying to brag about my old band at all, but I think the program at Watseka has turned around completely within the last one or two years. My hope is that we can establish ourselves as a consistent band from year to year and be more than a band that was just a flash in the pan.

-Ben

I have to say Watseka is doing awesome this year.

I like there show, it's really cool.

Keep up the good work guys!

I'd have to say Morton in 2005. No other band has come as far as they did in one year; they went from not placing in their class at ISU to getting 7th in finals. While I agree that Watseka and Limestone have shown improvements, it is not nearly as significant as Morton in 2005. For this year, it seems that Lincoln has made some great strides. Looking at the scores from Metamora, their score was very close to the 5A bands, all who are very good. I had never really heard much about them before this year.

I know that this thread title is COMPLETE band turnarounds........

By this do you mean - a complete turn around for the marching band......

Or are you speaking of band programs as a whole (or complete) like concert, jazz, marching, etc...

I marched in Morton's band from fall 2000 to 2003... If I can do my math correctly.

For most of those years, we could compete locally, but usually beaten swiftly by IVC or Dunlap. But in recent years, the program has grown quite a bit and now they can compete well with a lot of the Chicago bands. Nice job Morton.

I know that this thread title is COMPLETE band turnarounds........

By this do you mean - a complete turn around for the marching band......

Or are you speaking of band programs as a whole (or complete) like concert, jazz, marching, etc...

well....this is illinois MARCHING

It is hard to define a turn around because so much of it is based off of the students. In a large group of seniors leave, there is a hole to be filled. And, depending on the talent and leadership that they brought to the band, this can be a challenging task. If the students in the band are open minded learners, the program will get better.

Certainly there have been programs in the past that have been deemed turn around bands. Last year Morton was a pretty large focus, and it was well deserved. Limestone and Watseka are becoming solid programs as well.

It seems to me that these occurances happen every year. It's part of the reason why observing the marching scene is so much fun.

Yes - it's just that it's a shame noone can ever talk about concert band without getting heckled.

It is, after all, (or should be) the heart and soul of any band program.

I don't think you were being heckled, just seemed that he/she was making a point that this is a site devoted to marching.

Although, it might be nice to have some sections of the site that specifically are geared towards concert, winter, etc...

It is hard to define a turn around because so much of it is based off of the students. In a large group of seniors leave, there is a hole to be filled. And, depending on the talent and leadership that they brought to the band, this can be a challenging task. If the students in the band are open minded learners, the program will get better.

Certainly there have been programs in the past that have been deemed turn around bands. Last year Morton was a pretty large focus, and it was well deserved. Limestone and Watseka are becoming solid programs as well.

It seems to me that these occurances happen every year. It's part of the reason why observing the marching scene is so much fun.

Although what you say is very true, I believe the part about how talent leaves and goes and comes again, to be a little shaky.

Although you have seniors leaving, there are juniors that have been learning for three years coming right behind them. Although you have freshman coming in, what year don't you have freshman come in?

One thing about Morton's sudden change, is the JUNIOR high program. They suddenly had some one who cares about the program. (nothing against Mr. Skronski, but it seemed that while he was teaching he became lacsidasical.) Having someone in the Junior high program, that is bringing the talent levels up, much sooner than previous years, helps the High schools, TONS when they become freshman. As freshman, they might be playing with sophmore levels. And in that fact, that is what I believe makes a good program, great.

I worked with Limestone this summer and I see a lot of potential for them. Their new director, Andy Empey (that's possibly spelled wrong), is a perfect fit for the program. He's getting the band motivated and feeling good about their hard work. This is the first year with him as director, so keep your eye out for furthur growth from Limestone's band.

Funk had good points about Morton's growth: a stronger feeder program will make a HUGE difference in the potential of the high school program. That combined with a recently found dedication to hard work is the reason that Morton has taken their program to the next level.

Limestone is going to keep growing. Mr. Empey is making sure of that. :rolleyes:

I'm sure he will do everything he can. However, remember that a program growing isn't just a result of the director. The quality and effectiveness of the feeder programs are of extreme importance. That is something that even he can't completely control.

Limestone is going to keep growing.  Mr. Empey is making sure of that. :rolleyes:

I'm sure he will do everything he can. However, remember that a program growing isn't just a result of the director. The quality and effectiveness of the feeder programs are of extreme importance. That is something that even he can't completely control.

Agreed. And that is why I believe, the Bartonville district needs to combin into one or two junior highs, and have a little bit more control over the incoming programs, until then, I'm sad to say that I think Limestone will only be mediocre.

A weekly visit, may do some good. But in order for the program to get back to it's pristine ness back in the mid 90's before Trueloves *cough* decision making, there needs to be more than just visits to many middle schools.