Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Frank Ahearn

Perc Score

The thing is, if you have a percussion judge that is on the field, your score is really going to depend on where the judge is and when.

If the judge is backfield with the line when the pit is having issues, you're all good. If the judge is up front with the pit when the line is having issues, you're all good. Reverse all of that, and you're NOT all good.

I think it tends to be a little bit of luck with on field percussion judges. I guess all judging could be seen this way, but when you have such distinct entities in the pit and the line, I think it gets easier to have a scenario where if a judge listens to the right things, you score really well, but if they're in the wrong place at the wrong time, then you're in trouble.

Just my two cents on that.

You can't be the judge of that.  Rather, you can't effectively judge that unless you weren't performing with your band and also saw Lake Park.

You're right, I didn't see Lake Park's show at Prospect, but I think it's amazing how people are so defensive when they see Lemont, who has a much worse reputation, overtake a power-house such as Lake Park on a small caption like Percussion.

No- they are defensive when the only person who comes forward is a MEMBER of the winning band.

Lemont, at least from my experience, doesn't have a worse reputation. It just doesn't have one at all yet. Or at least not a large one.

And keep in mind, at my alma mater, there is a LONG STANDING tradition of ill feelings towards Lake Park. So I would probably be the last person to step in to defend them. I guess now that their director is changed, we can overlook the old differences.

I see what you are saying, and I respect that.

We have had a very tough season this year. After finding out Marian was in our class at State, we realized that we have a pretty slim chance of making finals. My senior year, and I probably won't get to perform in finals at State like the past three years. At this point, I think our band is looking for ANY sort of accolade or achievement to clinch on to in order to provide SOME kind of spark or mental boost, and this percussion award at least gave our percussion section that pat on the back.

And I'm sure someone will say something like, "Well, you shouldn't measure your success based on scores/awards," and I agree. I'm just trying to make my senior year the best and most fun year of my high school career.

No- they are defensive when the only person who comes forward is a MEMBER of the winning band.

Lemont, at least from my experience, doesn't have a worse reputation. It just doesn't have one at all yet. Or at least not a large one.

And keep in mind, at my alma mater, there is a LONG STANDING tradition of ill feelings towards Lake Park. So I would probably be the last person to step in to defend them. I guess now that their director is changed, we can overlook the old differences.

On this day, in this instance, Lemont had the best percussion performance. Put all the same bands on the field tomorrow with the same judges and the outcome could be completely different.

In this moment in time Lemont's percussion was superior to Lake Park.

yes the Lemont band is in turmoil this year. Marian moving into 3A affecting morale, Mr. Redford stepping down as director, a new assistant director joining the staff, changes in the way they practice, and many other internal issues. Thing is you just need to enjoy performing and being with your band mates. The scores will come and if they don't you'll have other good memories of this year. I know this years percussion group, drumline and pit, are very tight. Enjoy that Ryanmcv and you'll have your great Sr. year!

Winning captions always meant a lot to us (Galesburg). Especially at the bigger comps, but still they meant something at a smaller comp. as well. I know for me, my senior year we won percussion in parade at U of I - I'm a percussionist, so it meant a lot to me simply because I knew the other bands there also had great drumlines.

Just my thoughts on captions anyway.

That's not true. Caption awards mean a lot to those that win them.

I think you misunderstood, and Woodinator didn't make himself clear. If you read previous posts there's been some minor debate about Lemont actually beating out Lake Park for the Percussion Caption. THAT is the "big deal" Woodinator is referring too. Why does it matter to some that Lemont won it and Lake Park didn't.