Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
trumpetgal

Who are the bands to beat this year?

Bluecoats '04...Opens with a drum break...Great show...

This is true, but that is also Drum Corps. this is marching band. They are both very similar, yet very different. I would have to say that starting a show with a drum feature, in marching band world, is pretty risky but can be very beneficial.

Definitely Morton. They came from behind last year and scared everyone, including Macomb. They're in our class for Metamora but not for U of I, which is sort of disappointing to me. I'd like to see how we'd match up...though, it is my senior year, and I am sort of looking forward to the thought of riding home with that big trophy. For keeps this time. ;) I am really proud of Morton, though. I moved to Macomb from Morton when I was in fourth grade, and I remember seeing them at competitions when I was a freshman and sophomore (before they got good). I've always hoped I'd hear their name announced. It's sort of cool to think that some of my grade-school friends could be in that band, doing great things. Keep it up, Morton!

Yeah they definatly surprised everyone last year with how welll they did. Before last year, Class A at U of I had been us, Potiac, and Mohomet swapping spots in the top 3 for field. Then last year all of the sudden Potiac was out of the top 3, Mohomet was bumped down to 2nd and Morton took first. (Mohomet and Morton were SO close last year though. It'll be interesting to see how it goes this year.) Class A at U of I is going to be hard core rough this year....I'd be stoked to take home any caption awards let alone place overall.

This weather lately is icky. We've got rehersal tomorrow night and there's supposed to be snow. It'll be real fun if the brass freezes into their mouthpieces...A Christmas story band style, anyone? :unsure:

Mohomet??? Mahomet***

Haha. I woke up this morning to go to fall band camp and it was 32 degrees out. Illinois climate is weird. It gets so hot in the summer then it gets cold really fast and really cold. Late September early October is the best weather in my opinion. That's Illinois for you.

Illinois weather is weird. At band camp this summer it was soo hot and we were all like "We wish it was October." Then at rehearsals in October it was really really cold (it snowed at one) and everyone was saying, "I wish it was August." Kind of ironic, when you get the weather you want, you want the weather you had, if that makes any sense at all.

Yeah, yesturday at ISU Morton performed at 9:06. We were all freezing. We all thought back to band camp and how we always begged Mrs. Fitz to let us have sectionals in the shade. Yesturday we all fought over who got the spot in the sun! Then when we finished performing it was moderatly warm. By the time we got back home for lunch and practice it was so hot outside! Then we went back for night finals and it was freezing again!

shush i'm just getting used to it. I don't read alot. I'm bored. and I like to have posts on my record. besides now I have you to talk to...whomever you may be. I know i know you but....not...by...screen name.

hahahaha ashlie you're cool :D

so, in your opinion, who were (since band season's over for the majority of us, save those going to regionals, grand nationals, etc.) the bands that you considered the "bands to beat" this year?

hey since this got resurrected, i figured i'd try to keep it going :D

so, in your opinion, who were (since band season's over for the majority of us, save those going to regionals, grand nationals, etc.) the bands that you considered the "bands to beat" this year?

Even though I'm going to see every band (and provide a review of all) except for the first block on Thursday, the ones I'm most excited to see are:

Stephen F. Austin, TX-Bernstein's Mass. One of my favorite pieces being done. Who wouldn't be excited?

L.D. Bell-The end of the trilogy. I've seen this show via video, and wow. It's good.

Broken Arrow-I really want to see what the hype on the BOA forums is about. I've seen it, and wasn't that impressed.

Lawrence Central/Center Grove/Carmel/Ben Davis/Avon-The Indiana bands always seem to bring it year in and year out. Out of this group, 2 are solid locks and three are "maybes" for the last two spots.

Ronald Reagan-A director change at the beginning of the season. Surprised a lot of people at Houston when they didn't do as welll as expected. On the bubble right now for me.

Adair County-The first realistic possibility of a class A band making finals since Bellbrook in 2000. Won the Clarksville regional.

My locks for finals:

-Centerville

-Avon

-Carmel

-Marian Catholic

-Broken Arrow

-L.D. Bell

-The Woodlands

-Stephen F. Austin

-PCEP

-Richland

The battle for the last two spots:

-Adair County

-Lawrence Central

-Ronald Reagan

-Center Grove

-Harrison

Even though I'm going to see every band (and provide a review of all) except for the first block on Thursday, the ones I'm most excited to see are:

Stephen F. Austin, TX-Bernstein's Mass. One of my favorite pieces being done. Who wouldn't be excited?

L.D. Bell-The end of the trilogy. I've seen this show via video, and wow. It's good.

Broken Arrow-I really want to see what the hype on the BOA forums is about. I've seen it, and wasn't that impressed.

Lawrence Central/Center Grove/Carmel/Ben Davis/Avon-The Indiana bands always seem to bring it year in and year out. Out of this group, 2 are solid locks and three are "maybes" for the last two spots.

Ronald Reagan-A director change at the beginning of the season. Surprised a lot of people at Houston when they didn't do as welll as expected. On the bubble right now for me.

Adair County-The first realistic possibility of a class A band making finals since Bellbrook in 2000. Won the Clarksville regional.

My locks for finals:

-Centerville

-Avon

-Carmel

-Marian Catholic

-Broken Arrow

-L.D. Bell

-The Woodlands

-Stephen F. Austin

-PCEP

-Richland

The battle for the last two spots:

-Adair County

-Lawrence Central

-Ronald Reagan

-Center Grove

-Harrison

I must have said this 100 times on this forum, but I think Carmel and Center Grove are absolutely stunning this year. Both have really cool concepts, really awesome music, a cool visual book, plus Center Grove's drumline really owns.

I wasn't really all that impressed with Harrison's show. It just didn't do it for me.