Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
trumpetgal

Who are the bands to beat this year?

We haven't really gotten the chance to see a lot of our usual competition yet this year b/c we've been either right after them or haven't been at the same competitions.

I hear Morton's doing well and that they're working their tails off. Hat's off guys, good job so far! Did Fitz write the show again? He did Metamora's, right?

Pontiac won our invitational (Washington), and they've made a good showing at U of I the last few years.

Galesburg was at our comp, but I didn't actually get to see them. Same w/ Dunlap (how'd it been going w/out the freshmen for the last two years? I haven't really been following them much).

And how is IVC this year, b/c they usually have rocking fundamentals?

We're kinda in a rebuilding year, I guess, but its not all bad. We had a lot of talented people and a lot of people w/ really bad attitudes graduate last year, so in some ways we're actually better off. We've got a neat show, but Tallman's not sure how starting out w/ a drum feature is going to go over (people have liked in so far though).

Who all is going to Metamora? That'll be our first big comp.

Morton is doing pretty well this year and we're working just as hard as ever. Mr. Fitzpatrick did an amazing job arranging our show this year.

To my knowledge, Metamora is doing his show entitled "The Dark Side of the Rainbow" show, which is a mixture of Pink Floyd and music from "The Wizard of Oz."

I haven't seen Galesburg this year, but they won our competition.

And I haven't seen IVC either, but hearsay says that they are having somewhat of a down year, but don't quote me on that.

Morton, IVC, Galesburg, and Naperville Central are all going to Metamora, and I look forward to seeing all of them perform.

The band to beat? Pontiac. They have been rock solid so far this year at Washington and our show here at WIU. I'd like to see how they would compete against Morton. Morton and Pontiac are probably the best two bands in the area. IVC is having a down year and I don't see them getting to the level they have been in the past this year. In all honesty I see IVC going through a rebuilding stage through the next few years. Dunlap has been down for the past three years or so.

You can't just say no and not support your answer.

Starting off with a drum feature is like starting off any show with anything. You have to start somewhere, why not a drum feature? If it's a good one then it gets the crowd going and excited. Starting off with a bang gets their attention so they pay attention to the rest of the show. You have to pull the crowd in somehow. It might not have the same effect in the BIG competitions like BOA and State but if it works for local shows then it should work.

And as to the bands to beat, I would have to say Pontiac from what I've heard. But quite frankly I think every band has the potential to be the one to beat....made sense to me. Who knows? Morton and/or Pontiac could have a bad day and IVC comes out and pwns us.

You can't just say no and not support your answer.

Starting off with a drum feature is like starting off any show with anything. You have to start somewhere, why not a drum feature? If it's a good one then it gets the crowd going and excited. Starting off with a bang gets their attention so they pay attention to the rest of the show. You have to pull the crowd in somehow. It might not have the same effect in the BIG competitions like BOA and State but if it works for local shows then it should work.

And as to the bands to beat, I would have to say Pontiac from what I've heard. But quite frankly I think every band has the potential to be the one to beat....made sense to me. Who knows? Morton and/or Pontiac could have a bad day and IVC comes out and pwns us.

Just ask me the next time you see me.

What about starting a show off with silent drill and a guard feature? :)

depending on how clean the drill could be (and it should be good, no music to focus on) and how expressive and forshadowing the guard routine is, that i think would be very effective.

As for bands to beat, i will agree with most of this thread and go Pontiac. They are winning comps that no one called them to win. Their music is amazing (as i have said before) and they just put on one heck of a show.

I'm getting pretty stoked about Metamora. It sounds like its the first time that all the big bands are meeting up. Though, class 4A was pretty competative at our invitational too. There was Dunlap, Galesburg, Pontiac, and Joliet West. I guess it just doesn't register as much in my mind since we were in exhibition.

How many bands' shows did Mr. Fitz design this year, by the way? I loved going to mid-illini last year and hearing, "This show was designed by Craig Fitzpatrick" next band comes on, "This show was designed by Craig Fitzpatrick" next band..."This show was...." you get the point.

Dr. Alshouse (sp?) always does our drill but Mr. Fitz wrote our ballad for this year.

Starting off with a drum feature? Best. Idea. Ever.

No

It seems fairly effective though b/c we go right into Fanfare for the common man w/out a break between the songs. Plus the drum feature's got some sweet visuals.

Definitely Morton. They came from behind last year and scared everyone, including Macomb. They're in our class for Metamora but not for U of I, which is sort of disappointing to me. I'd like to see how we'd match up...though, it is my senior year, and I am sort of looking forward to the thought of riding home with that big trophy. For keeps this time.

;) I am really proud of Morton, though. I moved to Macomb from Morton when I was in fourth grade, and I remember seeing them at competitions when I was a freshman and sophomore (before they got good). I've always hoped I'd hear their name announced. It's sort of cool to think that some of my grade-school friends could be in that band, doing great things. Keep it up, Morton!

Definitely Morton. They came from behind last year and scared everyone, including Macomb. They're in our class for Metamora but not for U of I, which is sort of disappointing to me. I'd like to see how we'd match up...though, it is my senior year, and I am sort of looking forward to the thought of riding home with that big trophy. For keeps this time. ;) I am really proud of Morton, though. I moved to Macomb from Morton when I was in fourth grade, and I remember seeing them at competitions when I was a freshman and sophomore (before they got good). I've always hoped I'd hear their name announced. It's sort of cool to think that some of my grade-school friends could be in that band, doing great things. Keep it up, Morton!

Yeah they definatly surprised everyone last year with how welll they did. Before last year, Class A at U of I had been us, Potiac, and Mohomet swapping spots in the top 3 for field. Then last year all of the sudden Potiac was out of the top 3, Mohomet was bumped down to 2nd and Morton took first. (Mohomet and Morton were SO close last year though. It'll be interesting to see how it goes this year.) Class A at U of I is going to be hard core rough this year....I'd be stoked to take home any caption awards let alone place overall.

This weather lately is icky. We've got rehersal tomorrow night and there's supposed to be snow. It'll be real fun if the brass freezes into their mouthpieces...A Christmas story band style, anyone? :unsure:

Haha. I woke up this morning to go to fall band camp and it was 32 degrees out. Illinois climate is weird. It gets so hot in the summer then it gets cold really fast and really cold. Late September early October is the best weather in my opinion. That's Illinois for you.

you know what they say..."wait 5 minutes...it'll change!" :blink:

It started snowing during our rehersal today. That was fun...

We need work on cold weather intonation. The mallets were a half step higher than the band in the middle of the show. It sounded demonic.

We've got night rehersal tonight too.

As far as this issue goes, I'd have to say that starting off with any kind of specific feature/solo is not the way to go if you want to compete with 'the big boys'. Especially a panpipe. Fanfares and Front ensemble stuff sounds good in the beginning, but asides that I wouldn't put a feature there. Putting a drum feature more towards the middle of your show or towards the end is a better idea in my mind because, as an audience member, you can sometimes find yourself getting bored, not an occurance with all bands that perform just some. It really pulls the audience back into it when they hear drums and see some crazy drill going on.