Illinois Marching Online

How should they judge the field show differently?  I agree about the Parade part however.  If you really want to win the Governor's Trophy you need to do well in the Parade as well as the Field.  That's what Macomb did yesterday.  As for us in Newton, we were very pleased with a 2nd Place finish in the Parade.  That's the best we've done in a parade in a LONG time.

One more thing about the Field judging though.  If it could be made definite that none of the judges would be influenced to go one way or the other by any of the U of I staff members or anybody else in general, then that would be great.  I'm not accusing anybody on the U of I staff, NOR am I saying that Macomb got the Governor's through unfair means.  I'm complaining more about the fact that Mater Dei got 2nd Overall in Field, but I don't know how the scoring went yet.

they should judge it like ISU

At U of I they are judging how well you execute your show. So you could maybe get away with just moving boxes around to simple music and win if you do it perfect.... Shows with difficult pictures and music is not givin credit if you dont do it perfect......

At ISU if you play harder music you get points for that in winds and other things. Also if your pictures are very hard moves it gives you lots of GE....

putting it this way at U of I they judge how well you perfomr it where at ISU they judge how good you perform, and how complex your show is.

Um...I distinctly remember, like every year, the announcer at U of I explaining how every caption and award is determined. And I also distinctly remember him including the words "difficulty" in every single description. Macomb has difficult music every year because we have symphonic pieces arranged for us by one of our directors every year. I do believe the reason why we do so well at U of I is because our music is difficult and played very well.

This brings me to another thing. Would you rather see/hear a band with a simple show with music of average difficulty executed wonderfully to full effect or see a band perform a show that is above their level and completely fall apart on the field. The former seems like a more viable option for me.

You will never find a competition in Illinois that judges exactly the same because there is no uniform system. Get over it.

This brings me to another thing. Would you rather see/hear a band with a simple show with music of average difficulty executed wonderfully to full effect or see a band perform a show that is above their level and completely fall apart on the field. The former seems like a more viable option for me.

I would rather see a show with interesting musical and visual composition that might not be completely clean yet as opposed to a show that is simple, easy, and spotless. Just because a band is not executing flawlessly doesn't mean that they're necessarily falling apart on the field...there *is* a middle ground here! And I would rather see a band trying to do something interesting and innovative rather than just sticking to something relatively "safe," even if they don't execute it perfectly right away.

If a band can learn their entire show at camp and execute it flawlessly from the beginning to the end of their season, it's a good indicator that the show is probably below their level. A good show should challenge the band and give the kids room for growth throughout the season...after all, it's not just about the product, but the process as well.

Note: I'm not saying that a show that is less demanding is boring by default...I think with the right drill and music arrangements, a less challenging show can still carry good GE. Every band should attempt to do something that challenges them to be better performers, and every director has to assess the level of their band and determine their repertoire accordingly...and hopefully they come up with something that is not only appropriate but also interesting to see and hear!

I would rather see a band execute a show with difficult music and worry about whether they are in step or not. If the drill is outrageously easy then I might not like it, but how hard it is doesn't really matter to me unless it's for General Effect.

Our music this year was arranged by Al Horney (yes, it's HORNEY) from EIU which made it the most difficult show we've played in almost four years. Our drill was pretty hard too considering that we aren't the best people to stay in step, and some of the moves were difficult (no true company front and a few pinwheels). The main problem that my Dad saw with it compared to other bands (Mater Dei and Robinson) was that we didn't have nearly as many stands or half-time marching spots (we marched half-time once in our closer). That probably killed our GE scores, and then add the fact that somebody is bound to be out of step or not in line. There go our Marching scores. That's most likely what happened to us yesterday on the Field since we lost 2nd Place to MD. And kudos to Macomb too. I didn't get to see you guys since we were having our pictures taken, but the one glimpse I got impressed me a lot. MD didn't impress me as much because they practiced a bit in the parking lot right next to us.

Did anyone notices the changes in Prospect this year though? Their show definitly wasn't as hard as it usually is. I don't mean to bash them, but usually they march the whole time but they had quite a few long halts that I think set them back when it came to thier field show.

I've gotta agree with certainstars. I get sick of hearing about how horrible the judging system is at U of I. I personally love the competition & was very happy when Galesburg chose it over ISU when the two were on the same day. Galesburg isn't a band that always wins their class at either comp like Macomb is. I like that U of I is more about musically strong bands. I'd rather see a clean show than one falling apart, but that doesn't mean I'd rather see a simple show than a complex one. I get wow'd be any band who can march a complex show clean, and correct me if I'm wrong, but a complex show marched clean will beat a simple show marched clean even at U of I. I realize that some people simply hate the judging style at U of I, but believe it or not, they do care about difficulty, even if it's not judged how ISU or BOA is. I truly don't have a problem with the judging style. Winning at U of I means a lot to a lot of bands, no matter how it's judged.

I also think the parade being part of it is important. I think I've said this somewhere before, but any band should be able to parade. It's easier to simply march down the street playing music less difficult than your field show music.

I'm not against people voicing their opinions, but hearing it time & time again, it gets old.

I don't think anyone would feel that a show performed poorly that is above a bands level is good thing...or that it should be more successful than an easier show done well. I'm not sure what sort of argument that is, or what you are trying to say. No one would say a hard show that falls apart should come out on top.

I don't think anyone would feel that a show performed poorly that is above a bands level is good thing...or that it should be more successful than an easier show done well. I'm not sure what sort of argument that is, or what you are trying to say. No one would say a hard show that falls apart should come out on top.

agreed. Hard shows take better staff and better players/marchers. Thats the reason they are scored higher. But if you take a good program and try and make them do a show that is out of their league, and they miss, then that is not good. If you got higher just for doing a hard show, even if you miss, then everyone would do fast vivaldi stuff, or whatever, and tehyw ould all suck save for a few.