Illinois Marching Online

that would suck to have your last competition at U of I. That would suck a whole lot.

Why's that a bad thing?

I loved ending my marching season on U of I. I preferred it to the years when ISU came after U of I.

that would suck to have your last competition at U of I.  That would suck a whole lot.

I would have to agree

I'm not a big fan of the U of I show. I honestly don't believe that parade should be part of it. I don't really care for the judging at the field show either. I'd much rather go to ISU.

You know, I'm getting really tired of everyone putting down U of I. It gets pretty annoying to read, post after post, "The judging is skewed," "This competition sucks," blah de blah. Seriously, do you realize how that makes people like, say...ME feel? I'm from Macomb, and we happen to do very well at U of I because a large part of their judging is on music. Since the '80s, we've had one of the top wind ensembles in the state, regardless of class. The judges at U of I recognize an elevated musical performance over showy props and velocity. I've read insults to my band saying that our show is "clean," "slow," and "boring." The reason why I don't like ISU is because they don't seem to care much for a great performance musically, as long as whatever's happening on the field is exciting. Some schools, GOOD schools, lack the money to add props and "excitement" to their shows.

Basically, what I'm trying to say in that long, convoluted rant is that everyone on this board puts down U of I, but I just wish that someone might think once. Now, I don't know about everyone else, but tomorrow morning at 9:36 and 12:12, I'm going to go out there and give it my all, regardless of what anyone may think. You all may put down the awards and scores which symbolize the hard work many band put in, but I have to respect anyone who can go out onto the field, no matter which the competition or the judging system, and give 'em hell. Seriously.

/rant.

You know, I'm getting really tired of everyone putting down U of I. It gets pretty annoying to read, post after post, "The judging is skewed," "This competition sucks," blah de blah. Seriously, do you realize how that makes people like, say...ME feel? I'm from Macomb, and we happen to do very well at U of I because a large part of their judging is on music. Since the '80s, we've had one of the top wind ensembles in the state, regardless of class. The judges at U of I recognize an elevated musical performance over showy props and velocity. I've read insults to my band saying that our show is "clean," "slow," and "boring." The reason why I don't like ISU is because they don't seem to care much for a great performance musically, as long as whatever's happening on the field is exciting. Some schools, GOOD schools, lack the money to add props and "excitement" to their shows.

Basically, what I'm trying to say in that long, convoluted rant is that everyone on this board puts down U of I, but I just wish that someone might think once. Now, I don't know about everyone else, but tomorrow morning at 9:36 and 12:12, I'm going to go out there and give it my all, regardless of what anyone may think. You all may put down the awards and scores which symbolize the hard work many band put in, but I have to respect anyone who can go out onto the field, no matter which the competition or the judging system, and give 'em hell. Seriously.

/rant.

First of all, PROPS do not equal EXCITEMENT.

Second, having MONEY does not equal the ability to create EXCITEMENT.

No one is putting down your band. However, to say that ISU overlooks great musical performances is just plain wrong. However, ISU does take into account the total package....music and visual, as well as the design and demand. It also takes into account individual visual and musical performance. I'm sorry if you don't think this is a better judging system to get the best overal evaluation of a band.

You should be proud of what you are doing on the field. You are part of a great band. However, everyone can express their feelings on this competition, as long as they aren't disrespecting your band. They aren't doing that....at least not in this forum.

Remember, just because someone thinks the judging system is bad, doesn't mean they don't think your band is good. They are seperate issues.

I agree. I don't like the judging system at U of I very much, but it is still fun to go out there and give it your all regardless... and no one that I know of is putting you down... you guys (Macomb) along with many other bands at that competition have great programs, and are a joy to watch. Honestly, whether you get first or last, it doesnt matter, as long as you know you gave it your all and had a good time. Band isn't about winning (though it is nice to do). If you feel that you enjoy that competition, then go out and enjoy it, don't pay attention to whiny people. As Band8008 said, every has an opinion and you should respect that.

I understand what both of you are saying, but it gets rather tiring to hear that the competition where your band has won the whole she-bang several times, validating everything you've done to that point, is completely worthless and a waste of time gets rather tiring. That was all I was trying to say. Keep in mind, it was late when I posted that, and now it's early. And now I'm off to pack my stuff and get to school by 4:15. Good luck to everyone today.

How should they judge the field show differently? I agree about the Parade part however. If you really want to win the Governor's Trophy you need to do well in the Parade as well as the Field. That's what Macomb did yesterday. As for us in Newton, we were very pleased with a 2nd Place finish in the Parade. That's the best we've done in a parade in a LONG time.

One more thing about the Field judging though. If it could be made definite that none of the judges would be influenced to go one way or the other by any of the U of I staff members or anybody else in general, then that would be great. I'm not accusing anybody on the U of I staff, NOR am I saying that Macomb got the Governor's through unfair means. I'm complaining more about the fact that Mater Dei got 2nd Overall in Field, but I don't know how the scoring went yet.

How should they judge the field show differently? I agree about the Parade part however. If you really want to win the Governor's Trophy you need to do well in the Parade as well as the Field. That's what Macomb did yesterday. As for us in Newton, we were very pleased with a 2nd Place finish in the Parade. That's the best we've done in a parade in a LONG time.

One more thing about the Field judging though. If it could be made definite that none of the judges would be influenced to go one way or the other by any of the U of I staff members or anybody else in general, then that would be great. I'm not accusing anybody on the U of I staff, NOR am I saying that Macomb got the Governor's through unfair means. I'm complaining more about the fact that Mater Dei got 2nd Overall in Field, but I don't know how the scoring went yet.

they should judge it like ISU

At U of I they are judging how well you execute your show. So you could maybe get away with just moving boxes around to simple music and win if you do it perfect.... Shows with difficult pictures and music is not givin credit if you dont do it perfect......

At ISU if you play harder music you get points for that in winds and other things. Also if your pictures are very hard moves it gives you lots of GE....

putting it this way at U of I they judge how well you perfomr it where at ISU they judge how good you perform, and how complex your show is.