Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
He has to eat it!

Parades

From my limited experience, most people are in marching band because they like marching a field show. Some competitions include parades in the scoring. Do you personally like parades (or the concept of them)and do they always have an accurate reflection of the band on the field?

As a spectator, I love parades. As an instructor, I tolerated them. I saw them as PR, meaning both Public Relations and PRactice. We always tried to have a little fun in the routine or during the cadences, and to break things up as much as possible.

When a large band marches on a field and does a fantastic show, to the untrained eye, its good, but to a trained eye its amazing. A good parade though can impress everyone. Example: my freshman year i still knew nothing about field shows other than i was in one. I would watch shows at ISU and enjoy them but not appriciete them. But seeing a huge parade band like Galesburg and my jaw dropped. So many people, the sound was so loud and so nice, i loved it. So yes, i think parade has a good value to get people hyped up. The only cooralation i see between field and parade is if a band has good feet in parade, they likely will have good feet in field.

As a marcher i enjoyed parades. Not as much as field shows, but i did like them. There isnt the same sense as when you come off the field vs a parade, but marching down the street is fun. I will say my absolue favorite parade to do is Washington. the last stretch of road is the best, where the judges hayrack is. There are so many people, and the cheering is so loud, it makes marching through all them playing the best you can play even sweeter. Other parades there might be a few, but at Washington, the judges area is flogged with people cheering their heart out for you. I can't wait to be one of those cheerers this year as i chear on a few of my favorite bands as they march past.

Parades are fine.

Competitive shows where parade is weighted less than field is still a pain, but ok.

Competitive shows that are weighed evenly between parade and field are as stupid and antiquated as the Model T Ford.

However, get ready to see a band like Galesberg win two Grand Champion Awards in the next month, cuz, to their credit, those students can march a heck of a parade. However, you always see them drop off the face of the Earth at competitions like U of I, because they get blown out of the water during the field show captions.

Gotta give Galesberg credit, though. They understand how to work the system. They only go to shows that have parade and field together, you wouldn't find them going up North to a "field only" competition, or a show like ISU. They understand their strength, and they put themselves in the position to use it.

Robes is right.

Parades are getting to be a thing of the past. When you have a local festival - I'm betting MOST of the people want to see the hometown band.

Is Galesburg a better marching band than Downers Grove South or UT? No........(but I'm definitely not saying that are bad!)

Did they do what they needed to in order to win a couple Grand Championships.......Yes........

Take it as you will.

Gotta give Galesberg credit, though. They understand how to work the system. They only go to shows that have parade and field together, you wouldn't find them going up North to a "field only" competition, or a show like ISU.

With the exception of this year, Galesburg has never only attended parade and field competitions. Until the last two years when ISU & U of I have been on the same weekend, they've attended ISU. They went to Pekin last year which was field only, in the past we attended WIU and Geneseo. We did also for a few years attend a parade only competition in Canton. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't mistaken that Galesburg only does competition with parade and field. We've done field only competitions as well. It's possible the new director (I was in band under the previous directors) - that they will change to only parade and field combined competitions.

To answer this topic - I personally liked parades when I was in band, not as much as field performances, but it was the time I got to march. I was in pit, so I didn't march during field shows. I liked the feeling of marching down the street & hearing people cheer for you as you got toward the judges stand.

Thanks to everyone that thinks of Galesburg as a great parade band. I personally have always liked seeing Washington parade as well.

That's another thing, with U of I and ISU both being held on the same day for the second year in a row. I liked being able to march both of them. I mean I know that Morton still does both, which is cool, more power to them, but not everyone can do that. Is there any reasoning behind having them on the same day?

That's another thing, with U of I and ISU both being held on the same day for the second year in a row. I liked being able to march both of them. I mean I know that Morton still does both, which is cool, more power to them, but not everyone can do that. Is there any reasoning behind having them on the same day?

I was told that they do that when there's home football games that don't allow them to have it another day, but I'm not entirely sure if that's correct. Hopefully someone else can confirm or give the correct reason.

I was told that they do that when there's home football games that don't allow them to have it another day, but I'm not entirely sure if that's correct. Hopefully someone else can confirm or give the correct reason.

Yeah I mean they have to work around each schools home football games. I know that Oct 14th is ISU's homecoming and UIUC's homecoming and there is also an ISU home game on Oct 28th, so there was really no choice.

A lot of bands could do both if they chose, but they would just have to not march parade at U of I, which explains why bands like Galesberg just do U of I during years where ISU and U of I are on the same day.

I don't know how well in parading Downers Grove is,but could you not compare them to Galesburg in a rude manner.

I have noticed g-burg, that you seem to take offence to many things said on this board. People are not trying to dis galesburg. Galesburg is one of the more respected band on these boards, up tehre with Lake Park and Marian Catholic among others. All robes was trying to say is Galesburg does not want to stretch and do both, so they pick they one they are strongest at, and that is definately U of I. Galesburg has an amazing parade. The field show is good but the parade is amazing. So try, when parusing(my new favorite word of the week) these boards, dont take everything as an insult.

I don't mind parades, I think it's good for especially the freshmen. It's a chance to put on the uniform for real, figure out how to wear the hat, and play more challenging music on the move. However, I think that field competitions are more exciting and the crowd gets in to them more. In a parade, turns and horn moves, and other visual things must be left out, which I think takes away from the music. But I don't have anything against parades and I think they are still fun.

I personly dont think so called "turns" and "horn movements" NEED to be taken out. in 2002 when Eureka went to Dallas the Grand Champion parade band was a Kentucky band and they pretty much danced down the street. It was really cool to watch. 99% of the time you see those GE things in field, but they can still be effective in parade.

I agree with trumpetking5. I've seen a band do turns & horn moves in parade. It was prettty cool to. I wanna say the band was from Mississippi but I really can't remember if that was the band or not. It was at Smoky Mountain Music Festival in 2004. It didn't win them Grand Champions, as Galesburg won Grand Champ, but it was still really cool.

I guess you guys are right. And DesignedForBand I meant that taking them out takes away from the performance. However, some moves that are done during halts cannot be performed on the moved. Still, I have nothing against parades, and I guess that some horn moves can be left in.