Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Gosh_and_golly_gee

Let me get this straight....

So from the information that I've gathered, Morton is going to be at both Pekin and Danville, and is "expected to win both? to make a total of two grand champions in one day? That's pretty impressive. I'm new to the site so I don't know much about Morton. Could someone give me the story here? I thought Marion and the Lincoln Ways were the bands to beat.

Morton is a central Illinois band that really turned it on last year and made ISU finals. They had a great show last year.

They are not even in the same breath as Marian just yet, and they have never beaten Lincoln-Way East, but they did beat Lincoln-Way Central last year at BOA.

They are a program that are on the rise, and like UT, are one of the bands from central Illinois that is starting to be more competitive with the Chicago bands (UT has been competitive for some time now).

And them winning two shows tomorrow is a possibility, but not guarenteed. Fine bands like Mahomet Seymour and Dunlap might have something to say about that.

Normal was pretty competitive for a few years there too.

Robes you are right - Dunlap etc... might have something to say - I just think Morton is too powerful to be overcome. I think they play first at one of them (and in their class at ISU) but I'd put money on them winning at both.

Unfortunately - UT has been the only central IL band to stay competitive the last 15 years from Central IL with the schools up in the Chicago area. Some have come and gone and faded in and out. It seems as if Morton will join them in the long haul as the Standard Bearers from outside Chicago's suburbs!!

UT was the only school from outside Chicago in 5A or 6A at ISU under old classifications (with the minor exception when Collinsville and/or O'Fallon would come - but they are kinda St. Louis burbs....) With the new numbers - NO bands outside the burbs in 5A and 6A......crazy. Even with the re-classification - I still think bands like Morton and UT will get the prelims scores they deserve - and actually I don't really see scores naturally inflating as much this year. If WWS doesn't step it up - I could see them being left out of finals - and only VJA making it from 5A - or possibly Joliet slipping in.

So from the information that I've gathered, Morton is going to be at both Pekin and Danville, and is "expected to win both? to make a total of two grand champions in one day? That's pretty impressive.