Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
DesignedForBand

ISU 2006

yeah i'm with you trumpet king cuz though i think we are showing a lot of improvement and we still have chance, we're going to have to kick it into high gear to beat Robinson, because other than Mater Dei there hasnt really been any other band to give us too difficult a time. i think Eureka is going to just have to step it up this year and we still have a shot. by the way, there seems to be a conflict in what Robinson is doing, so if anyone can clear up where they are going on the saturday of ISU/U of I that would be great. their website says U of I, this one says ISU, and i'm confused. thanks!

Based on what I've seen/heard thus far, I'd go with

1.Marian

2.LWE

3.Lake Park

4. Victor J. Andrew

5. LWC

6. Naperville North

7. WWS

8. Morton

9. United Township

10. Warren Township

11. Eureka

A few notes:

1-3. Solid top 3.

4. I'm not too sure about VJA being up there. They tend to start strong and taper off by ISU. No doubts about them making finals however.

6. Since Naperville North has failed to, at this point, incorporate an inordinate amount of props into their show, maybe their real marching and playing will finally be revealed to the judges. It'll be interesting, but they're still ahead of WWS.

7-8. I haven't seen Morton and I don't know anybody who has. They did an excellent job last season, but I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to WWS.

9. United Township did not impress me last year, and the years before that have not been particularly strong so I figure they could juggle between 7,8,9 with the people in those respective spots.

10. That spot could honestly go to Waubonsie if they keep playing the way they are.

Arrian - it's funny you have WWS so high - when you say from what you've seen and heard "so far".........

WWS just got beat by Wheeling and LaPorte at Lake Park - and didn't even make the finals night.

VJA will probably stay strong.

and it's too bad United Township didn't impress you - they seemed to have a positive effect on the judges (winning 5A and all......)

You put WWS higher. You placed them sixth.

It's true about Lake Park, of course, but there were some technical issues involved there. No doubt perceptions will change as the season goes on. It is still early.

VJA will stay at least where they are, but it's debatable whether or not that where they are is good enough to take 4th in finals.

I saw their show last year, and I wasn't really impressed by anything. The drill appeared embarrassingly dirty for that late in the year and their music, while considerably more exciting than the drill, was not anything special.

I do not contest that they deserved to win 5A, though it was by something along the lines of .5 points, It is simply that they've never impressed me.

I have started to change my finals predictions since Saturday......

Also - you can't judge a band based off of last year.

You were probably in the minority that thought their drill was "embarrasingly" dirty towards the end of the year - as they won 5A yes, but also took Grand Champion at Lincoln-Way. I'm not sure that an "embarrasingly dirty" band would have accomplished that.

Think what you will though - the numbers disagree.......

VJA is out for blood this year I bet after not making finals last year. Last year they performed VERY well in 5A - I just didn't like their music selections.

i can see downers grove south barely squeezing in. there show is better than past years.

I can see that, too. I really enjoyed their show at Morton. I think they played and marched it very well.

Designed for Band,

You cannot directly judge a band by previous years, but couldn't you tell that Naperville North was going to make finals, and you hadn't seen their show (maybe you had, but you get my point)? It's not chaos theory, there are patterns here, established by past performance.

As for VJA, I would agree with the assessment that they're angry. Our interactions with them on a personal level have yielded as much. They've been robbed a lot in the past three years, and I can tell they're not kidding around this year. Regardless, whoever comes out in front in 5A probably won't win by a huge margin.

How has Victor J. been robbed a lot in the past years? Did you check their school enrollment - under OLD ISU regulations - they should have always been in 6A - not 5A......they were in 6A for one year in 2004.

LWC bumped out of finals? You have got to be kidding me. Now that's just a delirious idea........

MarchingBand you may be right - but trust me - they don't need politics to stay in finals by any means. (I'm sure you think that too anyway).........but to say that one of the following bands would be left out of finals (Marian, LWE, LWC, Lake Park, and UT - now that they are in 4A) is just plain nuts. If you are right about past performances Arrian - you'd agree with that statement I just made - seeing as how ONLY these bands have made finals every year since 1992.

I was just on Eureka's band site, and looking at their itinerary, it seems as if the schedule as changed...again. At least from what i looked at from 1A. The bottom of the itinerary in the style im used to seeing as official.

http://ehs.eureka.wodfrd.k12.il.us/band/it...te_of_illin.htm

Well, based on this schedule, here are my predictions. (Subject to changed based upon the next 2 weeks of competition.

1A

1. Eureka (GE, Winds, Crowd, Aux)

2. Monticello (Perc)

3. Olympia

2A

1. Morton (Winds, Perc, Aux)

2. IVC (GE, Crowd)

3. Murphysboro

3A.

1. Marian Catholic (All)

2. Lemont

3. Normal West

4A.

1. United Township (maybe all)

2. Normal Community

3. Rock Island

5A.

1. VJA

2. Wheaton Warrenville

3. Joliet West

6A. (always a toss up, but this is the best i can do)

1. LWE

2. Lake Park

3. Naperville North -OR- LWC

I wont even try to think of caption for 5A or 6A, my brain would explode. Those classes are always crazy, you never know whats gonna happen. Well its only 4 weeks away, hope yall are ready.

This is obviously a bit premature, as there hasn't even been a single Fall 2006 competition yet. I agree that past performance is somewhat a predictor of future performance/ placings at ISU, seeing as many of the same bands are in finals each year. So, based on the past few years...

Shoe-ins

Eureka - any reason to believe they won't win their class yet again?

Morton OR Murphysboro - Saw Morton at ISU finals last year. Very entertaining. Can a band/school that size repeat, or were they a flash in the pan? We'll find out. I heard the Murphysboro gave Morton a run. Only 1 of these 2 will likely make finals - sorry, too early to get the scores up that high, although it almost happened last year.

Marian Catholic - as always

United Township - The only one from 4A to make finals - won't have much competition.

WWS OR Andrew - Usually an interesting battle. One will win 5A, the other might make finals.

LP/LWE/LWC - The top 3 - all will be in finals - they always seem to be

That's 8 shoe-in's, with Eureka and perhaps Morton/Murph not in the top 10. So here who might be on the bubble..

On the Bubble

Lemont - no more automatic bid, since Marian is now in their class. But, if they perform like last year, could get an at-large bid.

WWS/Andrew - Whoever doesn't win 5A. Both of these bands have made many ISU finals.

Naperville North - I don't want to be mean, but... they are far from my favorite & I don't understand why they score so high, but I will give them credit - there show design has allowed them to place consistantly well at ISU, despite what I would call a very low level of demand, especially visually. Their director is the smartest guy on the planet, though, as the judges love his designs & the band executes well enought to get the credit. As they are perrenial finalists and they almost managed to win ISU finals last year :o (there would have been a riot if that happened), I'd give them a high probability of making finals.

Naperville Central - Made finals once. Have come close a few other times.

Warren - Have made finals a number of times. Have just missed several other times. They seems to either just miss finals or just make finals.

Waubonsie Valley - Made finals once. Very competetive with all of the top bands in Illinois.

If only 3 or 4 of the 5 bubble bands make finals, there will be some very good bands that don't make finals - not unlike last year.

Illinois State Finals Appearances

A Band History

This is obviously a bit premature, as there hasn't even been a single Fall 2006 competition yet.  I agree that past performance is somewhat a predictor of future performance/ placings at ISU, seeing as many of the same bands are in finals each year.  So, based on the past few years...

Shoe-ins

Eureka - any reason to believe they won't win their class yet again?

Morton OR Murphysboro - Saw Morton at ISU finals last year.  Very entertaining.  Can a band/school that size repeat, or were they a flash in the pan? We'll find out.  I heard the Murphysboro gave Morton a run.  Only 1 of these 2 will likely make finals - sorry, too early to get the scores up that high, although it almost happened last year.

Marian Catholic - as always

United Township - The only one from 4A to make finals - won't have much competition.

WWS OR Andrew - Usually an interesting battle.  One will win 5A, the other might make finals.

LP/LWE/LWC - The top 3 - all will be in finals - they always seem to be

That's 8 shoe-in's, with Eureka and perhaps Morton/Murph not in the top 10.  So here who might be on the bubble..

On the Bubble

Lemont - no more automatic bid, since Marian is now in their class.  But, if they perform like last year, could get an at-large bid.

WWS/Andrew - Whoever doesn't win 5A.  Both of these bands have made many ISU finals.

Naperville North - I don't want to be mean, but...  they are far from my favorite & I don't understand why they score so high, but I will give them credit - there show design has allowed them to place consistantly well at ISU, despite what I would call a very low level of demand, especially visually.  Their director is the smartest guy on the planet, though, as the judges love his designs & the band executes well enought to get the credit.  As they are perrenial finalists and they almost managed to win ISU finals last year  :o  (there would have been a riot if that happened), I'd give them a high probability of making finals.

Naperville Central - Made finals once.  Have come close a few other times.

Warren - Have made finals a number of times.  Have just missed several other times.  They seems to either just miss finals or just make finals.

Waubonsie Valley - Made finals once.  Very competetive with all of the top bands in Illinois.

If only 3 or 4 of the 5 bubble bands make finals, there will be some very good bands that don't make finals - not unlike last year.

Illinois State Finals Appearances

A Band History

Andrew made finals 11 times if we're including 1994. Last year was the first year they hadn't made finals since... 1991 i think... we'll just go with 1991.

I believe limestone did make it twice, in 1996 and 1997. I'd go check my video tapes, but since Mr. Video sucks, and since I LOVED marian's show so much that year, the tape broke from too much rewinding :)

other than that, i believe you're counts are accurate

I'd just like to say that Robinson is going to ISU. I saw them earlier this year and was impressed. I think that they may be able to give Eureka a run for their money.

what information do you have that says this. My latest lineup for ISU does not include Robinson

I believe limestone did make it twice, in 1996 and 1997. I'd go check my video tapes, but since Mr. Video sucks, and since I LOVED marian's show so much that year, the tape broke from too much rewinding :)

My bad, just realized what I was thinking of...I think they only won their class once, in 1996. So they still could have been in finals as a top ten score more than once.

I'd just like to say that Robinson is going to ISU. I saw them earlier this year and was impressed. I think that they may be able to give Eureka a run for their money.

Robinson pulled out last week, according to the lastest info that ISU sent out. Too bad, they seem to have been having a good season so far.