Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
SiamTree

It's official...

From the Star Newspaper...

L-W Voters Say Yes to Two New Schools

Cliff Notes version: Lincoln-Way North will be built in Frankfort Township, and will open fall of 2008. The students from the Summit Hill District will attend there.

Lincoln-Way West will be built in New Lenox and will open in the fall of 2009. The students from Martino Junior High School in New Lenox will attend there.

Both of these schools will be built for a "student-load" of 2,500. East and Central are built right now to hold 3,750. (In fact, East is over capacity this year)

Kids from Mokena and the Frankfort school district will still attend East, and Central will have kids from Liberty Junior High in New Lenox and the Manhattan school district.

The other little addendum: There are plans eventually for a fifth school in Manhattan. I would think, though, that that would be after 2010.

This has been your political update of what's going on in Illinois from the person who lives in Nebraska. :rolleyes:

wow. Right now they're all deciding on whether to build a 3rd Naperville school. Since there's no room in the 203 district, theyre building it in the 204 district so it will probably be _______ Valley High School like Neuqua and Waubonsie.

.. so it's actually like a 5th Naperville school.. but the 3rd in the district :D EVEN THOUGH Waubonsie's in Aurora.. it's a Naperville school :)

What would the 5th Lincolnway be.. South?

That would be the logical choice. They would build the school in Manhattan, which is the southernmost town in the district.

If they have to build any more schools, it's going to get confusing with Southwest and Northeast and "North-by-Northeast". :P

Yes, thank you to the 60% of people that did vote for this referendum. I remembered how bad I thought it was at Central my junior and senior year, and that was '92/'93/'94. East, with how crowded the halls were between classes, wasn't bad at all back then. I saw a pic in the alumni newsletter showing what the hallways look like at East in between classes now. :blink:

That's bad.

So now, the south suburbs are being overrun with Thornton's, Thornwood's, and Lincoln-Way's. ;)

I think Lincoln-Way Up and Lincoln-Way Down would be good choices once we run out of directions! :P

Other suggestions include but are not limited to:

"Lincoln-Way Left Orcs"

"Lincoln-Way Right"

"Lincoln-Way 7: Swans a Swimming"

"Lincoln-Way West Wonton Soup"

"Lincoln-Way North Crusaders: What can BROWN do for you?"

"Lincoln-Way North Crusaders: What can BROWN do for you?"

no kurt, no crusaders, i hate my school enough already, it doesn't need to be translated onto a LW also.

I hate to bring topics back up, but...

http://www.southtownstar.com/neighborhoods...hschool.article

With one high school opening and another on the horizon, one has to wonder how much more Lincoln-Way High School District 210 will grow.

Supt. Lawrence Wyllie already has that answer. He also knows when, where and how much.

"I'm always looking five to 10 years down the road. This is a very volatile area. We have to be ready to move," he said.

After opening Lincoln-Way North this year, and Lincoln-Way West in 2009, the next move for the school district will be around 2018, give or take a year, Wyllie predicted. A fifth high school will be built on one of two parcels the district already owns on Smith Road in Manhattan Township, at an estimated cost of $115 million, he figured.

In his crystal ball, he sees six high schools, all full, with a total of 17,000 students. Ultimately, there will be two schools in each of Lincoln-Way's three townships. There are now two in Frankfort (East and North) and soon to be two in New Lenox (Central and West).

A few years ago, when school officials sought the community's approval to build these newest high schools, the superintendent figured he would be building again in 2015-2018.

"With the slowdown in the housing market our enrollment projections are down. Hopefully, this gives us a breather," Wyllie said.

But the man who has led the district for the past 20 years knows that once the market takes off, the growth will be on the west side of the district and to the south in Manhattan. Wyllie believes with a lot of a planning, community relations and little bit of luck, voters will agree to build that school, too, without adding to their tax bills.

"If it works out the way we think it will, when we need to build, we can go back to the community without a tax increase," Wyllie said.

Officials have structured the debt so that some of the bonds will be paid off by then, and if interest rates are favorable they can refinance remaining bonds at a lower rate.

"We've been lucky, but it doesn't happen all the time. We might stub our toes," he said.

Stub or not, he has been fortunate to have the support of the community and works at improving these relationships "365 days a year."

"We could not do anything without the community," he said.

Six schools is a far cry from what Wyllie first saw when he arrived in single-school District 210 20 years ago. He recalled showing off his new territory to his family. They drove down a two-lane LaGrange Road to the East campus, and then over to Central Avenue.

"The kids said I had to be nuts to come here. It was all farmland," he said.

In his crystal ball, he sees six high schools, all full, with a total of 17,000 students. Ultimately, there will be two schools in each of Lincoln-Way's three townships. There are now two in Frankfort (East and North) and soon to be two in New Lenox (Central and West).

17000 students... that's more people than we have in most towns around where I am. I guess things are different way up north, but man... that's crazy.

17000 students... that's more people than we have in most towns around where I am. I guess things are different way up north, but man... that's crazy.

thats what happens when a 105+ sq mile former farm district goes heavy suburban

http://www.southtownstar.com/news/1146269,...8mascot.article

BY Shenequa A. Golding, Staff Writer

Students who will attend Lincoln-Way West High School had the option of being panthers, centaurs or even lions.

But none of those ferocious beasts made the cut.

At a Thursday news conference at Lincoln-Way Central High School, Supt. Lawrence Wyllie revealed the new school mascot will be the warriors and the school colors will be black, orange and white.

Lincoln-Way schools traditionally choose a medieval-themed mascot and have black as one of their school colors. The $88 million Lincoln-Way West is slated to open in August 2009. It will be the fourth high school in the booming Lincoln-Way district.

Freshmen and sophomores now attending Lincoln-Way Central who will attend Lincoln-Way West got to vote on the mascot and colors.

Eleven color combinations and 10 mascot options were presented to the school board based on recommendations made by a committee of students, staff, community members and administrators. The options then were approved at a May 8 board meeting. Students began the first round of voting Aug. 27 in their history classes, which narrowed the options to three.

The finalists for the school's mascot were dragons, warriors and wolves. The color options were black, orange and white; black, purple and white; and black, purple and silver.

The final voting was Wednesday. Wyllie said warriors was the runaway favorite choice for mascot, but voting for the colors was closer.

Matt Carroll, 15, was happy, but not thrilled.

"The football helmet looks like a pumpkin head," Matt said, laughing.

Other students voted for the black, purple and silver combination because of its originality.

"You really don't see a lot of schools with black, purple and silver," said Jimmy McHale, 15, of New Lenox.

Even though their choices didn't win, Jimmy and Matt were thrilled they would soon be leaving Lincoln-Way Central and attending Lincoln-Way West.

"It's going to be new everything." Matt said.

It is crazy but some how it works. Yes our taxes go up but so does the educational excellence. My daughter graduated central '97'. Number one son east'08', #2 son north'09'. A vasectomy will for go "West" but believe it or not with right elected officials there can be responsibility. Dr Wiley has been the superintendent for 20 years for 210.

I will admit after 09 I want to return to my roots and join a smaller community.

It is crazy but some how it works. Yes our taxes go up but so does the educational excellence. My daughter graduated central '97'. Number one son east'08', #2 son north'09'. A vasectomy will for go "West" but believe it or not with right elected officials there can be responsibility. Dr Wiley has been the superintendent for 20 years for 210.

I will admit after 09 I want to return to my roots and join a smaller community.

I was under the impression that nobody was graduating North '09...

yea no seniors will attend the new schools at the first year after opening. In terms of marching band direction, the assistant director for Central this year, Mr. Steve Nedzel, will be the Music Dept. Chair, and the head Director at West, for the Marching Warriors.