Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
fruityfluetyjm06

summer marching band

has anyone thought about their summer show yet?

well i heard from like the news and stuff that murphysboro is going to washington D.C. and they get to represent Illinois, in the memorial day parade

murphysboro is always trying to get some kind of publicity!! but i think that it is pretty cool that they get to go to d.c. i think cdale should go and represent illinois

because a program is publicized because it CONTINUALLY is receiving some kind of incredible award, winning a contest, being selected for a special event, etc. doesnt speak ill of a program. You imply Murphysboro's program is based upon seeking publicity? Why dont you attend one of their rehearsals and you will see that is the furthest thing from the truth. They focus on quality and excellence rather than worrying about the trifle crap you are speaking of.

Murphysboro and Carbondale are completely different programs, so how can you even compare the two? Its like apples and oranges...

Bandislife, you must go to Murphysboro or be very close with someone who is to speak of their practices like that. And bands DO try and get publicity but it's for the pride of representing their school and state. And it also generates interest which generates funding. Bandislife, essentially I think you are right but your word choice is kinda confusing...

And bands DO try and get publicity but it's for the pride of representing their school and state. And it also generates interest which generates funding

You are correct...poor word choice on my part. The publicity is a means to getting funding, community support, etc. NOT to rub it in the faces of everyone else. And yes, I am associated with Murphysboro. We are taught to respect other programs not bash them...and we really ARE about performing excellence not winning

Instead of complaining about how much publicity a band recieves, why not talk to your director about maybe setting up a fundraiser or something to get some publicity for yourselves? It would be a lot more constructive than complaining about it on an online forum.

yes bands do try to become more public, but its not always for the worse. things good do come out of all this, and cdale tuba why not try to get your bands name out there and maybe you wouldn't have to complain, about other peoples bands

I suspect, and don't quote me on this, Lincoln-Way Central, despite the success with a dark show, will bring another fluffy, happy show to the field. This opinion is based upon five years of shows reflecting one of two topics: Nature or emotion. Perhaps every fifth year a dark, edgy show will be produced? It would be the way to go to get the best shows to fall on key years (5, 10, 15, 25, 50, 100, etc.). :D

Fantasy of Flight (Nature)

De Profundi Animae: From the Deepest Soul (Emotion)

Council Oak (Nature)

Pathways Through Nature's Granduer (Nature)

Altered State (Emotion)

I see a striking trend...No matter what it is, it'll be arranged excellently and originally and the drill will be written by Mr. Nedzel, who, IMO, has written some AMAZING drill all things considered (LWC 2002 Drum Solo...Enough said).

Rumor of a show about some Victorian Queen has been flying around...But I highly doubt that...I hope. :D

Disclaimer: I'm not against fluffy, happy shows. But it's pretty much like Phantom going from Gershwin to Faust.

I see a striking trend...No matter what it is, it'll be arranged excellently and originally and the drill will be written by Mr. Nedzel, who, IMO, has written some AMAZING drill all things considered (LWC 2002 Drum Solo...Enough said). 

amazing?!?!

for LWC maybe....i dont see how multiple un musical block formations make a show amazing...

you guys have dun soem cool stuff....but not amazing...unless u compare to illinois as a whole, then maybe...

amazing?!?!

for LWC maybe....i dont see how multiple un musical block formations make a show amazing...

you guys have dun soem cool stuff....but not amazing...unless u compare to illinois as a whole, then maybe...

Geez smart guy. What school do you go to?

LWC is a great program. If you're in the state of Illinois you'd better go to Prospect, Marian, or Lake Park to talk like that. Although, judging by your attitude, I would attribute you to LWE, but you must understand that your program is similar to LWC and not nearly to the level of the aforementioned parties.

In Mr. Nedzel's defense, the man came to Lincoln-Way Central straight from the University of Illinois and immediatly started writing the drill. We don't hire corps writers to arrange or write drill so for someone so young to write such a visually appealing show in his second year certainly qualifies as amazing in my book. And the fact remains that the LWC visual book as gotten progressively more difficult each year. My show freshman year was a stroll in the park compared to the drill for Altered State. That closing tag was very, very challenging and very sweet looking. Out of the IL powerhouses, only Prospect manages to maintain a difficult, consistant, and GE packed visual book year after year. Not even Marian or Lake Park (polar opposites of each other, IMO) have been able to hold that. Unarmedtruth, I find myself agreeing with you once more...Which is very odd, all things considered! :D

I'd trust bandislife not to be a member of the Prospect or Marian bands. Everyone I've ever met from either school is simply a class act; very cool and very professional. From LWE? I think (or I hope) there's more mutual respect than that.

I will disagree with you on one count...........

Marian produces packed shows year after year........

Need we go into their finals streat at Grand Nationals?

You don't get there without great playing and great GE.........every year.