Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
mhs1

1st Annual Morton High School Marching Competition

Morton High School will be hosting its first competition on Saturday September 16, 2006.

The event will be in conjuction with the annual Morton Pumpkin Festival, and will include a parade and field show competition. Judging for the field will be based on band size, and use BOA or BOA-style sheets and weighting.

Anyone interested in attending should contact the MHS director Jeff Neavor at:

jeff.neavor@morton709.org

Morton High School will be hosting its first competition on Saturday September 16, 2006.

The event will be in conjuction with the annual Morton Pumpkin Festival, and will include a parade and field show competition. Judging for the field will be based on band size, and use BOA or BOA-style sheets and weighting.

Anyone interested in attending should contact the MHS director Jeff Neavor at:

jeff.neavor@morton709.org

Wait! That's P-Fest Saturday right? And that means no Pekin competition for us. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea but how confusing would it be to have all those bands show up and compete here? On top of that, schools now have to chose between us and other places to be. Oh well. I do like the idea though. It would be a blast if we can do it. Like seriously, I would totally enjoy it.

That's unforunate.  Lake Park is a great show now that they have withdrawn from competition themsevles.  One of the few with the prelims/finals set up.

The show was good even when Lake Park was in competition. Although, the overall depth of participating bands has not been as good the last couple years.

Morton hosting is cool for the average central IL bands...since thats probably all they will get. The good bands will most likely wanna go to LP...not to mention its a better facility...

For a local show, Lake Park always draws an amazing amount of talent and depth from around IL. Prospect, LWE, LWC, and the occational Marian. Even over the past couple of years AT LEAST Prospect and a Lincoln-Way has been there. I'd say that locally speaking, that's enough right there. Not to mention the lesser bands who attend. There's always tons.

It's one of those shows that makes you feel good about doing well BECAUSE of the depth of the show.

Lake Park withdrew from competing at their own show or withdrawing from competitions altogether?

LP no longer competes in their own host competition. Lets not start random rumors LOL

While I do agree that the LP competition is one of the better shows around as far as Illinois bands go, they dont seem to draw the strong out of state bands as much anymore. I don't even think that the prelims competition was 'full' this last year, but I could be wrong. "Depth" of competition is relative...and for Illinois, its ok.

Regardless, it is a good early season competition.

Back to being ON TOPIC....I understand the Morton competition is in conjunction with some festival that happens in that town the same weekend and I *hear* the the town is supportng them big time on this...I can't confirm, though, what they have planned.

It's part of the Pumpkin Festivel. And yes, it seems that the town has supported us for along time, I've only lived in Morton for 8 years, but I've always heard people talking about the band. But now since we actually had a very good season, the town seems evern more excited. But this has a lot to do with the school. The school administration has been behind us and cheering for a long time also. So for all of us at Morton, thank you to the city of Morton and the school administration.

Yes, bands will be at this show. The stadium isn't that large (the stadium for the Lincolnway Show wasn't that large, but it was still a good show), but there is going to be a great judging panel, and some good early season feedback is a valuable thing.

Competition is a chance to perform for an audience, and learn and improve your show through performance and intelligent feedback from the judges, and when the judges are good it is useful regardless of the size of the stadium. Performance is about more than going to U of I or the RCA dome because it is a cool stadium.

a band show is a show. yes it will be remembered by what awards recieved and the weather was like and that kind of stuff.

I think its really cool that the town of Morton is supporting a band competition and supporting their local band. I think my old band is going to it. Best of luck to all bands who attend though.

Stadium size doesn't matter really. All that matters is people supporting their and other bands. The interesting thing is that the competition is very early in the season for most bands. Am I saying that the performances are going to be poor? Absolutly not. I know that everyone is going to do their best.

And I could be wrong but I think it's also a parade competition because the Pumpkin Parade is at 10am that morning. I'll have to check with out director on that. In any case I wish all bands competiting that day an early Good Luck.