Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
EHSMELLO09

'06 shows

Lets just say "interesting" is one of way of puting it, without coming out and saying that their show was one of the strangest things I've seen in a while.......

I didn't really think it was strange....at least not musically strange. However, this isn't really the place for me to comment on what I thought. It is usually not well received if you don't have anything nice to say.

QUOTE (Oskeewowwow95 @ May 29 2006, 07:56 PM)

Hey all,

Rock Island is doing the Music of "Porgy and Bess" by Gershwin.

Lemme know what you think

Thanks 

I honestly can say that a Porgy and Bess show doesn't sound that interesting. I actually like the music, but I cannot imagine it on the field very easily. Who is your arranger...he or she will have their work cut out for them.

It's gonna be pretty dang awesome. the Summertime trumpet solo/duet has a latin groove, it rocks the socks of the rocks. B)

Sounds fun. I can't wait to see/hear all the new shows this comming season.

To robes-and-swd- If you're still wondering about our (Morton) show then you're not alone. But we have great a great composer who is doing his best to get those three songs to blend and from what we've done so far it should be pretty cool when it's over.

Naperville North - last I heard - doing a show based on Around the World in 60 days, entitled: "Around the World in 600 Seconds"

haha yeah, I said that a couple pages back!

On the first page, to be exact :D

To robes-and-swd- If you're still wondering about our (Morton) show then you're not alone. But we have great a great composer who is doing his best to get those three songs to blend and from what we've done so far it should be pretty cool when it's over.

Bari,

I have full belief that you guys will be great, if last year is any indication. I'm just interested to see how it turns out.

I know your composer and your drum instructor, and have been very impressed with what they've come up with the past couple of years.

It is an interesting combination of music...I'm sure it will be quite unique.

Good luck!!

While I don't know the UT director all that well.............

I do know that he is a great music teacher and always has a GREAT Symphonic and Marching Band.

I do know, also, that his son is probably not Rock Island's arranger........as he is in the area of 9-10 years old.

Oops... I just realized that its moline's director not UT's (east moline.) I should be ashamed, I live in the area and know that there is a huge sports rivalry between the two. I wish Carlin was here to make sure I didn't give false information again... Sorry.

:unsure:

Can somebody tell me whatever happened to Canton High School? They used to be a competitive marching band in the 80s and 90s. I was a 1978 graduate of that school and never see anything mentioned about them. Also, they used to have a great concert band.

I am now a band director/composer/ arranger living in Texas. So, I was curious what happened to them. If anybody knows, please share your info.

Thanks,

Dennis :)

Can somebody tell me whatever happened to Canton High School? They used to be a competitive marching band in the 80s and 90s. I was a 1978 graduate of that school and never see anything mentioned about them. Also, they used to have a great concert band.

I am now a band director/composer/ arranger living in Texas. So, I was curious what happened to them. If anybody knows, please share your info.

Thanks,

Dennis :)

Well, nothing "happened" to them. They have continued to have a very solid concert band for a very long time. I've always been pretty impressed with their sound when I've heard them.

As far as marching band...who knows....I don't think it is a giant priority to them, but I really am not sure what is the deal there.

Thanks for the information. Their current director, Joe Roman, had heart surgury a few years ago and this might have slowed down their marching competiveness. I just never see anything on this website about Canton and was wondering what had happened to them.

Thanks,

Dennis

Thanks for the information. Their current director, Joe Roman, had heart surgury a few years ago and this might have slowed down their marching competiveness. I just never see anything on this website about Canton and was wondering what had happened to them.

Thanks,

Dennis

I know Joe, he seems to be doing well.

However, it might be a good thing that you see nothing about Canton on here...from the standpoint that the kids aren't getting on here and saying things they shouldn't. Perhaps he has asked them not to come on here and post. I know other directors that have made the same request of their students. Not a bad request I might add.

Richmond-Burton HS is doing a show called "From Impossible to Incredible". It is supposed to be a spy-superhero themed show. They are going to be pretty good this year, I heard!

(Could be because I am in the band)

:)

so wat do ppl think of UT doing An American In Paris

I respect UT and all they've accomplished, but in my opinion, they need to follow their own new ideas instead of copying Phantom Regiment.

Who knows, maybe the show and arrangements will be a lot different (I hope they are).

But last year, Phantom does Gershwin, UT does Gershwin, and this year UT does Phantom's show from last year? Seems a bit much to me...

Last year - if anyone saw UTs show, it wasn't a copy of Phantom. Actually - I guess they bought the Key Poulan Rhapsody in Blue arrangement and twisted and turned it a bit to parallel the 85 scouts version.

I'm guessing they have taken Phantom's show and rearranged, twisted, and turned it to fit their own. If you check out this site - they are also doing Second Prelude as well - which Phantom Regiment did NOT do last year.

If a high school wants to use a show a corps just did - I'd be flattered as a corps member/staffer.

By the way - why just knock UT? Rock Island is doing Porgy and Bess - Gershwin.........are they trying to copy off the whole Gershwin theme too? Doubtful. Both of these bands are playing some fun, crowd pleasing, enjoyable, good music by a great American composer. I can't wait to see either of these 2 shows.

PS. I doubt you'll be seeing UT do Faust next year - so don't worry.

If a high school wants to use a show a corps just did - I'd be flattered as a corps member/staffer.

Absolutley, and especially if it was a band with as great a reputation as UT. However, that doesn't mean that selecting that music constitutes original thought on the part of UT.

By the way - why just knock UT? Rock Island is doing Porgy and Bess -

I'm pretty I did knock Gershwin earlier in the thread, at least in a sarcastic way. I hate Gershwin and wouldn't be sad if I didn't see another Gershwin show ever again. So, I guess I am a bit biased. Just slightly... B)

Sorry, though. In my opinion, when a band goes and does a show that a major corps did the year before, it's kinda the same thing as going and doing "Lord of the Rings" the year after it comes out as a movie. Can it be cool music and a cool show? Sure. It just doesn't constitute too much original thought, though.

However, I'm sure UT will be impressive as always. They have a great program with a fine tradition.

So when Blue Devils repeated Phantom of the Opera and put a twist on it - that wasn't original? But they won DCI..........

If UT was doing the EXACT arrangement the EXACT same way - with the EXACT same guard routine - and the EXACT drum parts - then maybe I'd say - yes - there was no thought.

But that isn't going to be the case is it?

I guess that last I checked - you, nor I, are the universal judges on who puts what thought into their show.