Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
drumnine07

DrumLine

Rocky's drumline seems like it will improve. We hit our peak in the 2004 season during marching band. We took a fall after that year, but its seems like it is all uphill from here. We'll find out in 2006 how we do!

i cant wait to see our(morton's) drumline next year, we were pretty good in 2005 and we only have 2 ppl graduating, so it should be nice.

Also... I think Rocky may improve some, and they were pretty good in the past.

can't really think ryte now cuz its late, so i'll post more later :)

yea i totally agree with you guys rockys drumline has im proved..and morton where did that come from you guys are sweet......what does people think about weaton worenville south's drumline....UTHS....VJA...

From what I have observed with my own band, it is not at all about losing seniors unless you make it. After my freshman year in my section (not drumline) we lost 6+ seniors. The next year we ended up much better. It's only a problem when you rely on them. So to answer the question, do I think that WWS's line will rise to the level of either Marian Catholic or Lincoln-Way Central? Probably not, but if you have a dedicated group of ready-made leaders who can play with talent, there is always that possibility. Losing seniors is only a problem when the other classes relied upon them too heavily to cover themselves or when there is a significantly less amount of talent in the rest of the ENTIRE section (usually that isn't the case at all). I hope they do well though!

Edit: Let me watch some indoor this season and it will be easier to formulate a guess. Does WWS field an indoor line?

WHEATON WARRENVILLE SOUTH

If you are going to use the name spell it right, and no they are not losing a lot of seniors. 05 was supposedly going to be a rebuilding year. The line lost of good seniors in 04.

If you are going to berate someone for spelling, please learn to form correct sentences before doing so. Thank you. "Rebuilding years" are a shoddy excuse to be subpar for a season. No director or instructor in their right mind would allow such a mentality. The exception of course is if a program completely folds due to non-band related reasons and is currently attempting to regain their status with new management, kids, equipment, etc.

I apologize for my lack of grammer and sentance structure. What I ment by rebuilding is their drumline was almost a completely new set of guys who needed time to jell as a group. If you would look at scores from ISU their percussion was the best in 5A and one of the best percussion groups there. Also they had a new director this year again so the band itself might need a year or two to get used to the way the guy does things.

Losing seniors is only a problem when the other classes relied upon them too heavily to cover themselves or when there is a significantly less amount of talent in the rest of the ENTIRE section (usually that isn't the case at all).

True, but losing the leadership of seniors is the most compelling part of their departure, many times. I think this is more significant than losing the talent, so to speak. Unless you have people that are ready to step in for that loss of leadership, then you may have a problem. I think you did somewhat hint that in you post, but I wanted to clarify.

I would be forced to agree on the corps part...I'm under the impression, and correct me if I'm wrong, that MOST fall members return to their indoor lines for the winter and that winter season feeds right back into the fall one. Guard is a little different but as far as drumlines go, that seems to be the case. In the midwest it is impossible to do marching band and drum corps...It's pretty darn hard just to get into a corps in IL since we are home to 2 of the top 3 from 05.

I auditioned for a top 3 IL corps. I practiced my butt off for months and months. That weekend was one of the most informative and just plain awesome weekends of my life. And it was also one of the most demanding. What corps do you march for and/or audition for?

Just know that I'd like to say a HUGE "THANKS!!!!!!!" to Mr. Seidling for letting me come and try my best!

you are right in regards to the winetrline thing in regards to high school lines. if you want to improve even more i suggest checking out an independent line such as leap or americanos indoor (the two independent wgi lines i know of in IL [i'm in americanos indoor])

and as for corps.what yous aid isnt true, if you are a newer player or arent at the level for a top 5 corps or you would frankly just rather march antoher corps (that was the case for me) you should check out the blue stars (WI) Pioneer (my corps!which is in WI) the americanos (WI but there camps are in romeoville IL) the colts (IA) or the racine scouts (WI)

whatever you do just march..Thats how all those indiana bands got sog ood so fast. they took advantage of the wgi/dci activity.

for mroe info onwgi/dci go to www.dci.org or www.wgi.org

you are right in regards to the winetrline thing in regards to high school lines. if you want to improve even more i suggest checking out an independent line such as leap or americanos indoor (the two independent wgi lines i know of in IL [i'm in americanos indoor])

and as for corps.what yous aid isnt true, if you are a newer player or arent at the level for a top 5 corps or you would frankly just rather march antoher corps (that was the case for me) you should check out the blue stars (WI) Pioneer (my corps!which is in WI) the americanos (WI but there camps are in romeoville IL) the colts (IA) or the racine scouts (WI)

whatever you do just march..Thats how all those indiana bands got sog ood so fast. they took advantage of the wgi/dci activity.

for mroe info onwgi/dci go to www.dci.org or www.wgi.org

While I do agree that marching drum corps in the summer will help anyone improve in any section, I wouldn't be so quick to say that this is the reason why the Indiana programs are as strong as they may be.

Regardless, I also agree that there are MANY great corps out there that are not top 5 in Division 1.

Division 1 & 2...as well as several senior/all age corps...also offer some great opportunities for performers from a variety of backgrounds.

While everyone loves the Div 1 corps, dont forget about the great performers elsewhere in the activity from as young a 9 (Colt Cadets)...to well past "age out" (Senior). A lot of these corps are even on the road less, which allow some flexability.

Depending on how far you may want to travel to be in a corps, the Midwest does offer many opportunites with corps such as Capital Sound, Racine Scouts, Marion Cadets, Chops, Kilties...etc.

If you want to march corps...DO IT!

However, if you are in one of the upper level IL schools, it is not possible to march corps and your band in the same summer. Possibly in a small, less competitive school where marching band doesn't start the 2nd week of summer break, yes. In a program who spends their summer sans three weeks preparing for the fall season, it just won't work (sadly :(:( ).

And there's no way marching corps is the reason so many Indiana bands were good. The top bands, again, would force their members to choose between the two and how do you have THAT good of a band with your best members off marching corps. Doesn't add up. Indiana bands are so good because the state system encourages HEAVY competition, something not as prevalent in IL.

However, if you are in one of the upper level IL schools, it is not possible to march corps and your band in the same summer. Possibly in a small, less competitive school where marching band doesn't start the 2nd week of summer break, yes. In a program who spends their summer sans three weeks preparing for the fall season, it just won't work (sadly :(:( ).

And there's no way marching corps is the reason so many Indiana bands were good. The top bands, again, would force their members to choose between the two and how do you have THAT good of a band with your best members off marching corps. Doesn't add up. Indiana bands are so good because the state system encourages HEAVY competition, something not as prevalent in IL.

There are many "top" programs in the state of Illinois (and many other states as well...includiong Indiana and Texas) that do allow members to march drum corps. To assume that all "top" bands are the same in this regard is a gross overstatement. While I'm sure you are right in some situations, it doesn't cover all programs. Many programs schedule band camp(s) between the end of DCI and the beginning of school..as schedules allow.

Marching corps is only one reason and factor that can help contribute to the success of marching band. Obvioulsy, you have to have a great staff, show design, etc, etc....

I'm not sure that I would say that the Indiana system encourages heavy competition. It may be more organized than Illinois, but in no way does the system itself encourage anything more than anywhere else.

Regardless, the point here is..if you really want to march...there is a place. If you happen to be in a program that does not allow you to march corps, then at the very least attend a camp or two. There is tons to learn. You may even ask your band director what your options may be...I know some directors that do allow members to miss camp and return after the conclusion of DCI.

Alright I get it. I was working under the assumption most programs start their marching season the day after school gets out and continue to practice most of the summer for the better part of each week (thus making it impossible to march corps because they go on at EXACTLY the same time). That was our schedule...Forgot that others start much later (closer to the school year beginning). Around here, most don't. Moot point though...I'm almost out of HS. I did attend the camps and I've gone on non-stop about how the people who have time left in HS should go. I agree...Amazing experience.

What corps do you march for and/or audition for?

I'm doing Glassmen, out of Ohio. I'm going to miss my school's band camp, and the night after finals i have to stay in Wisconsin to play at the Wisconsin State Fair with my school (I have to learn my H.S.'s show on trombone anddd baritone), but it's going to be worth it.

I just hope marching corps over the summer doesn't make me hate h.s. band as much as some people I've talked to.

Who are you marching with?

The only corps I was allowed to audition for (darn parents!) was Phantom. Of course, being a senior fresh out of HS, my chances were pretty low when going against the older, more experienced crowd that Phantom tends to attract. There were quite a few former Cadets trying out if I recall. Either way, I wanted to go for Colts which I would have had a MUCH better chance at making and I totally forgot about the Glassmen (that's kinda far for me anyway). In my situation (and if I were still in HS), there would be no way I could go between the two. Both schedules would be impossible to mesh and we have a policy on being in attendance (something to the effect of, you miss any part of camp and more than 3 rehearsals and you're gone). But that's ok...I know I wouldn't have been ready to march corps while still in HS. Good luck with the Glassmen thing!! I absolutely loved what they did with New World in 05. Even though most people cringed at the thought of spicing it up.