Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
anon

Sousaphone Help

i play the sousaphone and the only thing that i do not like about it is that its shoulderstrap is very old and it really does nothing. i talked to my band director but he says that new pads are 'not in the budget', is there anyway i can make it better without getting a new pad?

thank you all

Well, I've seen a towel used in addition to a pad, but I don't know how well it works. I used to ice my shoulder after practice, but eventually you just get numb to it. What worked best for me was to just not use the pad because we never used in competition anyway. Also, any downtime you happen to get rotate the sousa so it rests on both your shoulders. I really reccomend just going padless though.

Our band NEVER used pads...and to tell the truth it looks rather tacky to have towels taped to the bottom as I have seen some schools do...and even the pads made for sousaphones just make the insturment look strange. It's a matter of taste, but going without pads is much more professional looking in the long run. Just be careful with the horn and suck it up when it's on and you'll be fine.

yeah, give yourself a week or two without the padding, and you'll forget that you even have the horn on. focusing really hard on something else (like the music that you're playing) makes the pain easy to ignore. it's all in your head.

Just think...You could be playing a marching tuba rather than a sousaphone. Then you wouldn't have the luxury of your shoulder and you'd have to feel the burn of holding it at set...Sousaphones aren't that bad. And I play the lightest brass insturment of them all!

is there anyway i can make it better without getting a new pad?

get marching tubas :blink:

--- i hate sousas....agreed with everyone else, just take them off...you'll get used to it

I've heard that those mess up your embrochure; that you use too much lower lip. Any truth to that?

is there anyway i can make it better without getting a new pad?

get marching tubas :blink:

--- i hate sousas....agreed with everyone else, just take them off...you'll get used to it

I've heard that those mess up your embrochure; that you use too much lower lip. Any truth to that?

Sousas ROCK. I love my sousa (named Rosebud) more then my Gameboy, which is saying something. And about the marching tubas, we have one and it sounds AWESOME, it can get louder then the rest of our sousas and it's just cool. But I still love Rosebud. Oh, and about the pads, never used them, not in 7th grade marching band, not my sophomore year in marching band, and frankly, my shoulder stopped hurting of this year. I just can't stand it when we go to right shoulder, OUCHIES!