Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
mellobear1

2006 Competitions

really shouldn't we wait until it even is '06 before worrying about '06....come on, we have DCI to save those missing marching activities during the spring months (like me)

maybe so, but there are other things going on in the winter and spring....you kno....winter drumine and winter guard....

and what about boa contests!?!?!? dont u have to sign up like in january to get in?

Not necessarily. As far as I know, the regionals are first come first serve. Meaning the sooner you apply, the later in the day you will perform in prelims until they have filled up all the time slots. I know my school applied rather late several years resulting in 6am prelim times (NOT a fun experience).

Indoor Drumline and Winter Color Guard are fun to follow but not the most acessible to those who are craving some more marching.

Not necessarily.  As far as I know, the regionals are first come first serve.  Meaning the sooner you apply, the later in the day you will perform in prelims until they have filled up all the time slots.  I know my school applied rather late several years resulting in 6am prelim times (NOT a fun experience).

Indoor Drumline and Winter Color Guard are fun to follow but not the most acessible to those who are craving some more marching.

Actually, the Bands of America schedule is usually released at the Mid-West Clinic in Chicago (which is this week).

While entry is on a first come, first serve basis until the event is full, there is a date in late January in which they will start taking entries and based on postmark will determine if you get into the event. Some Regionals fill very quickly and many bands will have their applications in by this early date.

Performance order is based on a random draw. Just because you apply early does not guarantee a later performance time...it just gets you into the event and the random draw. If there are performance spots still open after this draw, this is where late and/or last minute applications will be taken to fill the early performances spots still open.

I kind of simplified the process, but you get the idea ;)

As far as indoor guard and drumline not being "the most acessible," you are just not looking very hard. There are many WGI Regionals as well as numerous local circuit competitions around. And if you really want "more marching" head to a Michigan show...they have indoor winter marching band :)

I'd do that if I had the chance.

I remember doing that once for a middle school showcase performance. It was fun to march again, but things were really cramped, even with only a 55 member band.

Bands of America 2006 Schedule (some sites are tentative):

Sept 16 Indianapolis, IN - Fall Preview Experience

Sept 23 Louisville, KY

Greenville/Spartanburg, SC - Fall Preview Experience

Sept 30 Murfreesboro, TN

Youngstown, OH

McAllen, TX - Fall Preview Experience

Oct 7 Arlington, TX

Ypsilanti, MI

Oct 14 Houston, TX

Flagstaff, AZ

St. Petersburg, FL

Oct 20-21 St Louis, MO - Super Regional

Oct 21 Towson, MD

Oct 27-28 Atlanta, GA - Super Regional

Oct 28 Southern California

Nov 3-4 San Antonio, TX - Super Regional

Nov 4 Indianapolis, IN

Nov 8-11 Indianapolis, IN - Grand Nationals

For those of you wondering what the 'fall preview experience' is, here is a small portion about it...or you can read more at the bands.org website.

New, Non-Competitive Fall Performance/Educational Opportunity

In response to numerous requests for more opportunities for input from BOA fall evaluators and judges, BOA is initiating a series of Fall Preview Experiences. These early season, exhibition/evaluation events will afford bands the opportunity to perform at BOA events and receive an immediate clinic/evaluation experience from one of our BOA evaluators. In 2006, BOA will offer three Fall Preview Experiences