Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
lack_of_color

...auditions

I was wondering if anyone else had an idea as to what I should do..

I'm trying out for the Glassmen next weekend, and I hope to audition on trombone becuase I'm not going to risk being not that great on baritone. I got a packet that says I should bring what is outlined in the brass audition section, as well as a three valve instrument, so everyone will have something to play all weekend.

Now I'm probably missing the obvious, but does this mean I have to bring both instruments even if I plan on auditioning on trombone, and I'll be playing both trombone and baritone sometime over the course of the weekend?

I e-mailed them and asked, but I'm afraid that I might not get a response back in time, and because I'm car-pooling with 3 other people, I'm looking for an answer because of the space issue.

sorry if that made no sense, I'm just really nervous and am hoping that someone here with drum corps experience could help me.

I'm trying out for the Glassmen next weekend, and I hope to audition on trombone becuase I'm not going to risk being not that great on baritone. I got a packet that says I should bring what is outlined in the brass audition section, as well as a three valve instrument, so everyone will have something to play all weekend.

Now I'm probably missing the obvious, but does this mean I have to bring both instruments even if I plan on auditioning on trombone, and I'll be playing both trombone and baritone sometime over the course of the weekend?

I e-mailed them and asked, but I'm afraid that I might not get a response back in time, and because I'm car-pooling with 3 other people, I'm looking for an answer because of the space issue.

sorry if that made no sense, I'm just really nervous and am hoping that someone here with drum corps experience could help me.

Drum corps uses valved instruments only, but will usually listen to you on your primary first, if need be.

Many corps will hear you on your primary instrument these days...for instance if you play the trombone they will listen to how well you play it. However, that being said...you obviously wouldn't march trombone, but if you play it well they will sometimes ask you back...but you'll have to play baritone the next time out.

assuming you can fit them, bring them both....i'm pretty sure you'll get to audition on the horn that best suits you, but they will probably want you to get experience marching with a horn closer to that what you would be using during the season. of course wait for their response as I can't speak for any corps, but if you don't get your response in time, bring them both if you can.