Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
MbBaby1104

Anyone know their show for next year?

You're right. You need to play between marching seasons to be good. And yes, I'm in concert band. I'm also in madrigal brass, and I'm going to try out for jazz band, so I'll have plenty of time to improve. Another reason I'm not the biggest fan of concert band was because of my experience last year. Morton divides their band into two, Symphonic Band and Concert. Symphonic is obviously the "honors" band, while concert band is for everyone else. Since I was third best tuba that year, I was sent to concert band. But your right, concert band is the key.

You have to remember...with over 100 members in a program it isn't practical to have everyone in the same band all year long....and unfortunately not everyone can be in the "top" group. However, that doesn't mean you can't learn a lot and have fun playing music in either group. Just think some schools have three concert bands....others have 4 or 5 in some places. Being in the second band is not punishment nor should it be considered not fun.

Just as a side note...anyone who would be disrespectful enough to play video games during rehearsal should be automatically banned from the top group...it clearly shows they care little about music or their playing.

You're right. You need to play between marching seasons to be good. And yes, I'm in concert band. I'm also in madrigal brass, and I'm going to try out for jazz band, so I'll have plenty of time to improve. Another reason I'm not the biggest fan of concert band was because of my experience last year. Morton divides their band into two, Symphonic Band and Concert. Symphonic is obviously the "honors" band, while concert band is for everyone else. Since I was third best tuba that year, I was sent to concert band. But your right, concert band is the key.

You have to remember...with over 100 members in a program it isn't practical to have everyone in the same band all year long....and unfortunately not everyone can be in the "top" group. However, that doesn't mean you can't learn a lot and have fun playing music in either group. Just think some schools have three concert bands....others have 4 or 5 in some places. Being in the second band is not punishment nor should it be considered not fun.

Just as a side note...anyone who would be disrespectful enough to play video games during rehearsal should be automatically banned from the top group...it clearly shows they care little about music or their playing.

It was Kevin in concert band last year, not symphonic band. I think the people in concert band will enjoy this year. Last year we were smaller then my 6th, 7th, and 8th grade band, we were missing alot of instruments, and not balanced. But this year we have much more people and the concert band will have alot of people, and alot of very good people because of the more people. So if I blow my audition (which I plan not to this year) I wouldn't mind being in concert band. Symphonic band is just something you strive to get to and Tuba Teel kept saying I'd make it, so I got my expectations up. When I didn't make it.... But I did have some fun, no doubt about it. I was going to have a tuba solo in a song, but Sarmiento cut the song. Still I had fun.

Playing Nintendo during class????? That sounds pretty disrespectful. Discipline in band grows from discipline in life.

I tried to stop him, but he REALLY likes the DS. So do I, but wouldn't play it in any class.

I'll tell you something about disrespect for the band. Last year at Organizational Contest, one of the seniors in my concert band (a saxophone, go figure) pulled out his cell phone and played with it during part of On A Hymnsong Of Lowell Mason. I don't think my director caught it, but a bunch of the kids did when they heard it audibly beep.

I really wanted to do the Rocky Horror Picture Show because I thought it would be a bunch of fun, but sadly it contains content not sutable for children. lol

Either that or Phantom of the Opera. I would have liked to do Wicked but Geniseo did that this year. By the way they did a really great job with that show at Macomb.

I'm really sad that the marching season is over it was a lot of fun. :(

Oh well I can just hope that next year is even better!!!

-Ian-