Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Baritone0406

Come to terms

In all honesty, why can't you people come to terms that Morton beat LWC fair and square. I''ve been watching Morton sence Danville, and I get the feeling that they will be the band to beat within the next 5-10 years (if they can keep this up). If they can, then I believe that Morton will not only be able to beat BOTH LW's, but give MC a run for their money and actually do some damage at BOA on the National level. Believe it or not, even the greatest of bands are not unbeatable, and bands like Morton can actually win.

Another thing that people need to get over is that Prospect didn't make night finals. Ok so it was a shocker, but like its been said, they just lost. There is no excuse to it. And don't give me this bad show crap-if you work had enough then you wont have a bad show. And from what I've read, it seems like everyone else BUT Prospect is complaining about it. Prospect is a great band, but they still lost. Everybody looses. Its part of competition. So why don't we all just drop it and move on.

There are other threads about this. Everyone has come to terms with the placements of both schools. There is no denying that Morton had the superior performance on October 29th and most agree that the two groups are much too close in performance level to make a clear decision.

Your propositions are mere speculation. So until you can base Morton's threat to Marian Catholic HS on solid evidence, you should probably think about what you just suggested.

"And don't give me this bad show crap- If you work hard enough, then you won't have a bad show."

Fallacy of argumentation. Plain and simple, that just is not true at all. You can work amazingly hard as many bands do and still produce a less than stellar product on a given day for MANY reasons.

"From what I've read"

Unfortunatly you havn't read enough and apparently you havn't seen the performances either.

If you want people to drop it, try using decent evidence presented in a manner which does not contain numerous fallacies and bad assumptions.

Are you from Morton? (As you seem very distraught over this issue.) Also, I've never heard anyone but Morton kids (all of whom seem like very nice and modest people!) use the term "night finals" on these boards. I could be wrong but I just really hope you aren't representing Morton HS. The posters from Morton on here show a lot more tact, so I hope I'm wrong.

Someone please close this. <_<

yeah...this needs to be closed before this gets out of hand (again).

I hope this you're not a Morton person as well, because that would be a bad day in band if we found out who it was. I feel sorry for the program you represent buddy.

Maybe...just maybe...if you had more support for your accusations, then you might be taken more seriously. Other than that you just insulted alot of good people. Maybe you should think before you speak or keep that kind of stuff to yourself next time.

I think people just need to be careful how they say things. It is not inappropriate to say that you think a program will grow and possibly become a top competitive band.

However, the first post in this thread is borderline trash-talking

along with all the other speculations and thoughts here, i feel this needs to be added also, it takes more than one season to make or break a program. I will give 3 examples

1) Andrew this season. Rough year, not making finals at ISU and just not looking quite the same as the last few. Is that to say Andrew is off the map? I'd hope that everyone on here understands that isn't the case. They had a rough year, but they will come back strong and will be a top contender at ISU and elsewhere next season.

2) LW 1999; possibly one of the best years, competitivly, for a LW school, winning ISU and placing a fairly good distance in Indy (no GN that year), and going to California and winning the rose bowl band competition. Not that Indy was their highest ever BOA finish, or that winning ISU is what it is all about, they just clicked that year. They (LWs in general) haven't had a season that strong since, and understandably, that will be tough to top until all the spilits stop happening and programs get really established.

3) LP; since Ken Snock (sry, i cannot spell, but ya'll know of whom i talk) retired, they have slipped a bit. But LP isn't ready to leave yet. They have had a couple off season (by GN championship standards), but onces the new director finds his nitch, they will move back ontop and be a force, not just in illinois, but in BOA nations.

The point i'm attempting to illustrate is that one season isn't going to tell the whole future of a program. Morton had a strong show this season, thats all they had. They havent won a BOA event, ISU, Lake Park, or any other large band competition. They had a successful year, but one year doesn't establish a powerful program. Ask me again in 5 years and we will see if they have continued success or they flashed and are fighting to regain some of that light.

In all honesty, why can't you people come to terms that Morton beat LWC fair and square. I''ve been watching Morton sence Danville, and I get the feeling that they will be the band to beat within the next 5-10 years (if they can keep this up). If they can, then I believe that Morton will not only be able to beat BOTH LW's, but give MC a run for their money and actually do some damage at BOA on the National level. Believe it or not, even the greatest of bands are not unbeatable, and bands like Morton can actually win.

Another thing that people need to get over is that Prospect didn't make night finals. Ok so it was a shocker, but like its been said, they just lost. There is no excuse to it. And don't give me this bad show crap-if you work had enough then you wont have a bad show. And from what I've read, it seems like everyone else BUT Prospect is complaining about it. Prospect is a great band, but they still lost. Everybody looses. Its part of competition. So why don't we all just drop it and move on.

I think they have come to terms....things happen......Andrew didn't make finals neither did waubonsie valley (sorry bout spelling if its wrong)..... But some shockers just happen and people like to talk about them...for example.....

Notre dame and USC football game....thats a big thing....you can pick your side its still a great game.....its like prospect not making it its a big thing and we can talk about it...some might be mad that they didnt make it or what not but meh.......

also wow get over it...it is a shocker lets move on.....I think people would have their jaw dropped it USC lost a football game to like Eureka college or ICC if they have a football team......Things happen.....

The only high school I have ever heard of saying "night finals" is Morton.....

Let's all be realistic...there are people in every band that can have a bad attitude, keep in mind that there many more people in band and any activity for that matter, that have great attitudes, work ethics, etc.

If you look at the number of posters, you will see that there are only a select few from each school that are posting, so no one is representative of the opinion of a whole entity.

No one can predict what will happen in 5-10 years. You can't even predict what will happen from one year to the next.

While I agree that the opinions of one or two people should not affect how one views an entire program, I also know that realistically, I've seen two people destroy their program's reputation entirely. And I've seen this happen to two different programs (though this wasn't band related...but actually much larger).

Marching Band>Life:

You are absolutely correct. I stand corrected. That brings up a great point about how sometimes groups can create a negative image for themselves among their classmates and town. When bands don't give respect to the athletes AND vice versa or when individual groups acts as if they are superior, then negativity can start. Unfortunately I see it among band kids more often than not. ( I was one of them in highschool....) Calling ourselves "nerds" or "geeks" and acting the part creates a stereotype that is difficult to live down. On the other hand acting as if we are "above" playing at games and that music/colorguard/etc. is THE ONLY thing anyone could be involved in, that creates alot of animosity.

I'm rambling.....hope that makes sense....I'm off my soapbox now!!:);)

In all honesty, why can't you people come to terms that Morton beat LWC fair and square.

Why is it so essential that "people" need to come to terms?

Should I get a bumper sticker for my car?

"MHS beat LWC...once..."

LW 1999.........wow I LOVED that show!

That was my favorite show ever seen by a high school band.

Hands down.......

i think i remember that show....it was good....was that the last year they were 1 school or did they split up the next year......Also i was up in Oak lawn and one of my uncles who lives in Frankfort Illinois ( LW east) said that the school district might split again making a N,S,E,W of LW's which would be crazy......anyone know if that is true????

playing the odds for LWs, i would say east will be strong, but the new north will be the strongest of. Since the split, Summit Hill has had the largest number of students who continue with band through HS and stick it out all for years. Kind of curious, but my money will be on North, once they have a couple of years to get settled. Tho, again, as an old school LW person, anyone would be fine with me, as would a 1-5 LW finish at ISU. And for new mascots, in the same tradition, i expect one to be the dragons (since the combined school rugby teams use that right now), but i don't know what the other 2 will potentially be.

I graduated from Lincoln Way in 1980. I went to the Freshman building in New Lenox as a freshman, and L-W East the first year it opened as a sophmore. That year 77-78, Lincoln-Way Central became Jr/Sr. The old freshman wing was then called North. I went to Lincoln Way Central my Jr./Sr year.

That area is really booming. Places where many of you have homes now were just farm fields when I went to school out there. We had at least 3 -5 snow days a year becuase the buses couldn't get through the drifted snow covered roads, and that was Rt 30!

Even back then LW had one of the biggest and best marching bands around!