Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
RockyMellophone

Central Il. Bands W/ Good Seasons

So it has been quite a year fro central illinois. If I had to point out some bands that had truly good seasons here would be my list.

Morton

UT

Herscher

Macomb

Geneseo

IVC

and ....that's all I can think of.. Oh! I suppose this isn't really fair, because I'm a member, but Rock Island has had the best season of it's entire existence this year, so...Rock Island would have to round out my list. Any body agree, disagree. Any other bands I might be missing?

I think you are right in saying Rock Island had a good season! Second place in 4A is very good - along with the 3rd place in Lincoln Way, Macomb, etc...

UT obviously had a good season, winning 5A at ISU for the 4th time in 10 years - Morton had a bang up season, Herscher beat Wheaton Warrenville South this year, etc.... etc....

I think it depends on what you mean by "good season".

Are you talking about good season as compared to what the band usually does? Or are you talking about good season compared to how other bands did?

Two different questions, IMO.

To take a look at your list, here would be my reasoning.

Morton: Had a great season, did a lot better than they usually have done in past years, and cleaned house at most of their competitions. They were undefeated in their class at every competition, and consistently gave the bands in bigger classes a run for their money. The only local band that beat Morton twice in the year was UT, and they only beat Morton by .5 at ISU, and by 1 point at Lincoln-Way. Morton had beaten UT by one point at Pekin, so all that really separated these bands was about .5, pretty impressive competition and hopefully a preview of things to come. Morton had a great season.

UT: A band that traditionally does well, and had a ton of success this year. They consistenly won their class at competitions (undeafeated, I believe), and had a great show. UT had a great season.

Herscher: This band was able to score top three in their class at all their shows, and was also able to score top 3 at ISU. They are on the rise, building their program back up to the success they are accustomed to. Herscher had a good season.

Macomb: Macomb has had some success as of late, and enjoyed wins at U of I and Western this year. They beat out some big bands (Dunlap, Herscher) at some of their competitions. Macomb had a good season.

IVC: IVC has traditionally ruled Central Illinois, at least during the past three years. However, this year they were chasing Morton. I don't think this is an insult to IVC, because I think their show was good and comperable to the shows they've put together in the past that were successful, but it wasn't enough to keep up locally. They did win at Geneseo, over Downers Grove South, which is ok. And they did win in field at Metamora. But the killer...not even placing at ISU, was a shock to most. Therefore, I think IVC had a decent season, but not like the ones they're used to having. However, I don't think that's due to IVC having a bad year, but more due to local competition stepping up like Morton, Galesburg, and Washington. IVC had an ok season.

At least, that's my take on your list. And FYI, I left Geneseo and Rock Island off the list, because these are shows that I haven't seen this year, and don't feel like I have enough information to comment on them.

I don't know how I would rate our season yet. I've been through four years of this program now, and I don't know where it ranks. We didn't bring home the hardware we are normally used to, but we beat some good bands, and had some amazing shows.

Pekin- Show was alright, nothing spectacular, but for a first show it was very strong. Came within a point of UT and lost out to Morton for the GC as well.

Pontiac- I thought this was a great show. We really needed it. For a group of 180 kids to lose a show that the school hasn't lost in over 13 years to have to go and face off agaisnt bands such as Naperville Central, Marian, Normals, etc. is very tough. We responded very well winning our class by a good spread over great bands like Normal Comm, Normal West, Wheaton North, and Alan B Shepard, all schools much larger then us. We ended up with thrid on the day, one judge had us first over Marian Catholic...and ended up placing behind just them and Joliet West. Great show in my opinion.

Geneseo- Once again another strong show. Not our strongest, and got off to a shaky start with confusion with the drum major. However we came back and got it togeather and put togeather a pretty good show over Downers Grove South. They are a band on the rise, our staff was VERY impressed with them and their improvements.

Metamora- This was a VERY competitive show. We outscored a LOT of quality bands including Washington,Herscher,Normal,Dunlap,Eureka,Galesburg,and most of all that great program from Morton. We had just an amazing parade, better then our Fiesta Bowl Parade last year. Great show going into ISU.

ISU- I hope our season isn't judged on our placement here. We finished fourth, but to three VERY GOOD bands. I have no shame in losing to any of those three. While I was frustrated, confused, upset, and not completely confident in the results at first, everyone has come to peace with the result. We all felt, and were told thats the best show IVC has EVER had at ISU. We watched the tape over and over, and I still don't beleive there was that big of a spread between us and Morton, because our show was that good. However, the judges saw differently, and we experienced something we never had before, not winning our class at ISU. Rough for the seniors let me tell ya..

So really I don't know how do you judge that? If this whole program is truely what everyone preeches, that its not about winning our some stupid trophy, then I think our season should be considered a great one. Is that not what we are all told, or what all of you out of the marching band scene tell us?

Just my own two thoughts on our season.

As for Morton...do we even need to rate that season? The results simply speak for themselves. If not...get out from under your rock and go to their website and check out that show...and take notes.

2A was just an incredible class this year, this best it's ever been IMO, and the scores prove it. IVC, Herscher, Morton, and Muphysboro were all very strong this year and all placed up there with the Chicagoland bands. Like someone posted early, it's a shame that someone would not place. I don't think that this reflects that IVC didn't have a good year. In fact, their scores show they had an excellent year, but certain bands such as Morton jumped onto the seen, and Herscher also improved immensely, so IVC's placings were not as high as usual. I don't believe there was a drop in quality at all as far as IVC's performance, it's just that other bands that IVC normally had beaten "stepped it up," I guess you could say. I would say that IVC had a great season judging from the quality of the performance, because hardware shouldn't mean anything.

i don't think a season can be rated by the number of trophies or the scores you get. if you feel like you put all the work you could into the show, you had a great season. what judges think shouldn't affect how a band measures up to everyone else.

the motto at morton was "never be out worked." whatever comes out of not being out worked is dandy, but what i'm going to remember 20 years down the road is the fact that i gave it my all, and that's what made this season so great for me.

anyone else feel this way?

That's right grizzly, if you put on the best show you could, it doesn't matter if you don't get any trophies. I was just happy sitting there in the RCA Dome knowing that Carmel saw the most perfect fight club, and widow-maker we have ever done, and hopefully the people who watched were surprised. I'm the happiest I've ever been,and we did't bring 7 trophies.