Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Smedricksman24

Was it...

There's been some controversy over two of the forms in Prospects show this year; They appear to be swastikas. For those of you who don't know, a swatika is a cross with hooked arms, appearing in most cultures, but most famously as the symbol of Nazi Germany. If you didn't see Prospect's show (Click CMBF, page 2, prospect, video) this season, then you probably don't know that they may have formed 2 swastikas during their show. They only appear for a relatively short time, so you have to have a keen eye to catch them. That is, if they are there to be caught, Prospect's staff has supposedly denied them being swastikas. The first possible swastika is at about 8:40 into their show on the wheeling site. The second one appears at 9:10 into their show. It's difficult to tell from that camera height and video quality, but it was much more apparent at U of I. What do you think? Is it a swastika, or isn't it?

For God's sake, are you kidding me. Watch the f!@#ing video and you will see that it is a move with a box coming apart and coming back together. In addition, it is a very hard sequence for the kids to perform.

NO IT IS NOT A SWASTIKA, GET OVER IT!

ADMIN: Close this

The box move is what this is all about!? Wow, I thought it was something more serious like a form where half the band actually did make a swastika. Ridiculous is right, DesignedForBand.

Besides, I don't see people getting into fits when bands make sperm that swim.

The box move is what this is all about!? Wow, I thought it was something more serious like a form where half the band actually did make a swastika. Ridiculous is right, DesignedForBand.

Besides, I don't see people getting into fits when bands make sperm that swim.

First off, sperm are very different from swastikas. Point made, but analogy questioned.

I'm not saying that they're making a swastika for very long, or nessicarily on purpose, but lok at the video at 8:40 and 9:10. It's very short, and very difficult to tell from this angle, and at that size, but it looks quite like a swastika!

and anon- I never said it was easy; It looks beautiful, like most of their forms.

That one parent who came onto the forums with conspiracy theories about having parents that sit on the isu board rigging competitions should seriously get together with this guy.

That one parent who came onto the forums with conspiracy theories about having parents that sit on the isu board rigging competitions should seriously get together with this guy.

You guys don't even bother arguing. You just flame me, so the topic will get closed, and reflect poorly on me.

Seriously look at the video, maybe full screen if you have to.

People don't bother arguing because it is absolutely ridiculous to think that someone would write a swastika into their show when it clearly is just the progression of the charts in a show. For a split second yes it sort of does look like a swastika almost, if you actually look at it in the center you can see the box's other corners ready to expand. So the obvious answer to your question of is it a swastika or not is an emphatic heck no. Is that enough of an argument? This topic should reflect poorly on you because it's so ridiculous.

Sometimes sets look suggestive simply because many of us are immature HS students. You only get so long to laugh at a set that resembles a sperm (above example). Sometimes you can question what the drill was suposed to resemble but this time around, I agree with everyone else. It would be completely tactless to write in the controversial sign of a government which commit terrible atrocities many years ago.

since this is such a big issue...

who out there thinks that the set that Prospect finishes Naigra Falls in looks like the Boy Scout Symbol thing...maybe we should get them in on this too!

Sometimes sets look suggestive simply because many of us are immature HS students. You only get so long to laugh at a set that resembles a sperm (above example). Sometimes you can question what the drill was suposed to resemble but this time around, I agree with everyone else. It would be completely tactless to write in the controversial sign of a government which commit terrible atrocities many years ago.

THat's actually a really good point. That's it up to the person's interpretation. Regarding the sperm example, there's these crazy screaming fireworks, that are white...and swim through the sky, in an eruption...hahah....

Anon- I take it you mean the fleur-de-lis?

...Their drill writer wrote for the Madison Scouts. That may not be just a coicidence as Madison has included the Fleur de lis as a signature in their shows. It would not be a far out guess to wonder if the writer (I apologize for not remembering his name) to want to leave his signature on his creation. Artists overlap various ideas all the time. The argument that the fleur de lis appears in Prospect's show has much more validity and room for discussion than the initial topic did. Anon, I think that was probably 100% intentional.

You know, that brings up a good point...did Madison have the fleur de lis in this year's show. I remember watching at Summer Symposium and not catching it?

Maybe Pete Weber threw it into the Prospect show instead?

I don't have a set of charts handy right now but I don't believe we actually make a fleur de lis. This was Mr. Weber's first year writing for the Scouts so I'm not sure if that would have been intentional. And through out the season there were no alternate endings, while the show progressed and changed here and there the sets were all the same from Lake Park to BOA.

did Madison have the fleur de lis in this year's show. I remember watching at Summer Symposium and not catching it?

i'm fairly sure i remember seeing it at indy in late july. Its one of those things that generally gets added later (like the phantom kick when phantom does it). But i'm fairly sure they did it.