Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
sousapimp

most underrated chicagoland area bands

I personally didn't care for the plane flying over. I didn't feel it was in the best taste after what had happened. But, I"m sure others would disagree.

Judges don't ignore much of anything. GE looking at the big picture can/cannot include props, voice overs, amps, etc. It's what the staff's personal style is and what message they want to convey.

My kid was in the band that year and I thought the "flyover" was dopey.

The problem with RHS in my opinion: They march better now but they still don't play well at all. I don't know if the ball gets dropped at the middle school level or what but it is a problem.

The year my kid graduated, they played this atrocious circus show. I had a friend come to the Lake Park show to watch and he said "this reminds me of the Bridgemen on 'ludes."

Now that was funny.

BTW, I marched in Guardsmen a LONG time ago.

I personally didn't care for the plane flying over.  I didn't feel it was in the best taste after what had happened.  But, I"m sure others would disagree.

Judges don't ignore much of anything.  GE looking at the big picture can/cannot include props, voice overs, amps, etc.  It's what the staff's personal style is and what message they want to convey.

My kid was in the band that year and I thought the "flyover" was dopey.

The problem with RHS in my opinion: They march better now but they still don't play well at all. I don't know if the ball gets dropped at the middle school level or what but it is a problem.

The year my kid graduated, they played this atrocious circus show. I had a friend come to the Lake Park show to watch and he said "this reminds me of the Bridgemen on 'ludes."

Now that was funny.

BTW, I marched in Guardsmen a LONG time ago.

Not to rip RHS, but I have to agree w/ you. They aren't a strong playing band and the guard work leaves a lot to be desired. I had the pleasure of seeing their show at each of their home football games and they didn't seem strong in one specific area. They aren't a bad band though. Just not very good, IMO.

I don't really think Morton "owned" anyone this year.....watch how you phrase things....because that really wasn't the case. They just had an incredible season.

Most underrated...back to topic is Downers Grove South. We saw them once this year and they gave us a run for their money. We were caught off gaurd. They have imporved imensley. They may be at the bottom of 6a at ISU but they have a solid program going.

it'd be nice for one of these bands to break the grove, kind of like what morton has done, and totaly own one of the well known bands.

I could be wrong, but isn't he saying it would be nice if someone had an incredible season, like Morton did, and in the process owned a big school...as in it would be nice to see the underated Chicago school in the future own a big name school.

I don't think he's saying Morton owned anyone, I think you guys are misreading the punctuation intended, but I could be wrong.

Morton didn't own any of the big guns this year. They had significant point gaps over Lockport, Stagg, Shepherd, Bolingbrook, Downer's Grove, Wheaton North, TF South, Nequa Valley and Romeoville.

They had a couple of points over Waubonsie Valley, Victor J. Andrew, Joliet West, Warren Township, and Lemont.

And they squeezed slightly past (at least once during the season) United Township, Wheaton Warrenville South, and Lincoln-Way Central.

They were able to stay ahead of the downstate names like Normal West, Normal Community, Mahomet-Seymour, Herscher, IVC, Macomb, Rock Island, Pontiac, Geneseo, Murphysboro, Eureka, Collinsville...etc.

And they were able to handle out of staters like Davenport Central of IA, Oak Creek of Wisconsin, Jefferson and Knox of Indiana, Karns of TN, and Cumberland County of Kentucky.

They had the highest individual music score of the night in ISU night finals, and the 3rd highest visual perf indiviual score, topped only by Marian Catholic and Lake Park.

They had a great season, but they didn't own any big names.

I was just pointing that while they did good, the term owned shouldn't be used. That just wasn't the case, they hung with the big boys, but lapped no one.

I was giving them a pat on the back, but reminding people to keep it in perspective.

I'm gonna actually stay on topic here....based on the bands listed in the poll I would have to go with WWS. They have had a great season which included night finals at ISU and also ending their season with a slight edge over Lincoln-Way Central. No doubt that this is a strong program that should be watched in the next few years.

WWS has not been under-rated. They won 5A twice in a row. The last 10 years, 5A has been dominated by United Township, Victor J. Andrew, and Wheaton Warrenville South.

This year they had a very difficult drill to go with Key Poulan music. They didn't do well at the beginning of the season, not because they were under-rated, because they just couldn't get the package together. This was a show that took all season to get done.

ISU they pulled it out to get 2nd place in 5A.

Not to rip RHS, but I have to agree w/ you. They aren't a strong playing band and the guard work leaves a lot to be desired. I had the pleasure of seeing their show at each of their home football games and they didn't seem strong in one specific area. They aren't a bad band though. Just not very good, IMO.

Wow! I graduated from RHS and I didn't get to see them this year except video. And I could still hear the intonation problems.

I haven't seen them in a few years but I always thought Joliet West played really well. Lots of good training evident to me anyway.

I have a friend who works with Downers Grove South. I'm sure he'd appreciate the props.

WWS has not been under-rated. They won 5A twice in a row. The last 10 years, 5A has been dominated by United Township, Victor J. Andrew, and Wheaton Warrenville South.

This year they had a very difficult drill to go with Key Poulan music. They didn't do well at the beginning of the season, not because they were under-rated, because they just couldn't get the package together. This was a show that took all season to get done.

ISU they pulled it out to get 2nd place in 5A.

Being "under rated" and winning trophies are two different things.

My point was basically that WWS seems to get "forgotten" or left out when refering to some of the topic dogs...in general.

Downers Grove South i know work so hard this year. sadly our season has ended but we remain hopeful for next year and for all the people who voted for downers i thank you for acknowledging us this year. the flute section wishes you hugs and kisses and to cheer us on next year.

The problem with RHS in my opinion:  They march better now but they still don't play well at all.  I don't know if the ball gets dropped at the middle school level or what but it is a problem. 

and I quote a Freshman from RHS:

"There's more than one scale?"