Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
sousapimp

most underrated chicagoland area bands

I'm a fan of DGS, so I know they will win the superbowl or whatever it's called this year. You have to keep your eye on them. I still can't believe during the drum solo that one tuba player laid one right on the drum major's chest. Insane.

Romeoville is really working hard - I think they should get more attention than they do.

Thanks for putting Bolingbrook up there! I think the kids have done a great job with a relatively new marching program.

I disagree. While none of the bands listed is championship caliber, there are some bands that perform well given their numbers or circumstances but recieve no credit because they cannot hold their own against the well established programs in IL due to circumstances beyond their control. Not every band can recieve credit for being good but there ARE some bands which deserve more recognition than they are given. Of those you listed, I would be inclined to say WW is the most "underrated". They are a good early season performer...the others you listed lack the luster associated with especially talented bands.

There are way more 4 bands that are underrated in the chicagoland area. Not to mention, they change from year to year. I am assuming that the list at the top was referring to this year. WWS is sometimes overrated, but also they fall into a catagory on their own. They may be underrated at times, but they are definatly a known powerhouse other times. I personally would put them above underrated(their definatly talked about) but they are not at the same status as LWE, LP, or Marian. As far as underrated bands this year, the list could have been longer, especially during different times of the season.

this is kind of off topic, but it sort of fits.

the bands that are way overrated, marian for example, have slowly earned a repuatation, and most of them desrve it.

but when a band earns a repuation for being really good for having huge props, i just don't think that is right. not all bands have the opportunity for such things.

and sometimes it can be things like that, that influence the judges. maybe its just me, but i'm starting to feel that bands that are over-rated, no matter how much work they do, are starting to create a grove in the judges mind so that whenever they come across them, they go "hey this is the band that is really good", leaving the judges to become more closeminded as the years pass.

it'd be nice for one of these bands to break the grove, kind of like what morton has done, and totaly own one of the well known bands.

Which well known band did Morton own?

I agree that the judging is sometimes very shady. I have heard tales from the pressbox where the box judges see a band qued up to go and say "Wow! I've been waiting to see _____ all day!" and immediatly putting them in a placement and scoring them so that they stay there. Even more sad was the fact that this was at a well known non-local style venue. You may say this is untrue but I know otherwise. It's unfortunate but it's going away slowly (proof positive is Lake Park falling to LWE at Prospect and then below BOTH LW's regardless of penalties). Marian is not one of the bands that I would consider "over-rated". While their shows have declined over many years (as have almost every school's), they remain a powerful organization that places where they deserve to relative to other bands. I would consider Lake Park to be "over-rated" for several years until this season. Reason being, they were winning when other bands started putting on productions that rivaled their quality. In this case, it was Lake Park staying the same and other bands rising up to their level. Props are a completely different issue and I'm probably in the minority of those opposed 100% to them. It used to be only the larger bands with the budget but I think even Romeoville (Incredibles? correct me if I'm wrong) has a backdrop with the "I" logo on it. A band that uses props to cover subpar playing and marching with GE, no matter how effective could be considered over-rated. Case in point, the band at BOA Indianapolis who used the giant shiny pyramids and the all white baritone soloist. Good band...not good enough for finals, but the props were HUGE and the plumes mimicked them by being pyramids rather than feathers. Any band who doesn't use props seems to be underrated these days...

It used to be only the larger bands with the budget but I think even Romeoville (Incredibles? correct me if I'm wrong) has a backdrop with the "I" logo on it.

No, Romeoville didn't have any props this year, I don't think we ever have. It was St. Rita (who went right after us, with the same show at ISU) that had the Incredibles "I" on the field. We're still fixing some of our instruments with duct tape.

I consider Mairian over rated, basically because of exactly what you said, the whole "Oh, I've been waiting to see this band all day" thing, but I know that they put in enough work and time to desrve it almost.

Morton didn't own any band specifically, but they made it to finals for the first time in a couple of years, and from what I've seen, its always been pretty much the same bands going to finals at ISU every year.

I think this post has moved away from the original question. Rather, when we are talking about overrated bands, we automatically think of bands that are in the finals at ISU every year, or earn 1st or 2nd at most of the competitions. Wouldnt overrated be a band that has a lot of hype, but then walks onto the field and blows?(no pun intended). I think if we use that definition, then a lot of bands come to mind, but we wouldnt write that on this forum because we are all nice people.

I concur...which is why I was trying to change the "Marian is over-rated because they are damn good" conception. The story about the judges wasn't about them. I think its really kinda pointless to discuss this at all considering so many things change...Look at Morton arriving this season and doing an amazing job and LP falling from their top spot. So much change on the top and the bottom of the scale.

It used to be only the larger bands with the budget but I think even Romeoville (Incredibles? correct me if I'm wrong) has a backdrop with the "I" logo on it. 

No, Romeoville didn't have any props this year, I don't think we ever have. It was St. Rita (who went right after us, with the same show at ISU) that had the Incredibles "I" on the field. We're still fixing some of our instruments with duct tape.

I consider Mairian over rated, basically because of exactly what you said, the whole "Oh, I've been waiting to see this band all day" thing, but I know that they put in enough work and time to desrve it almost.

Morton didn't own any band specifically, but they made it to finals for the first time in a couple of years, and from what I've seen, its always been pretty much the same bands going to finals at ISU every year.

Haha.. Marian isn't overrated. Geez, you have a couple years where you don't finish in the top 6 in BOA National Finals and it's the end of the world.

Give them a chance.

Haha.. Marian isn't overrated. Geez, you have a couple years where you don't finish in the top 6 in BOA National Finals and it's the end of the world.

Give them a chance.

Wasn't it Romeoville who had a plane fly over the stadium at a certain point in their show several years ago (maybe 2000, 2001?)? That must have cost a ton of money. and they're still fixing instruments with duct tape?

Yes, it was RHS. By chance they were doing a patriotic theme the year 9/11 happened. The show took on a whole different meaning then. The plane flyover was done by either a parent or a friend of a parent and didn't cost the band a thing. I'm sure RHS is still using duct tape - I know BHS is and we're the same district.

Which well known band did Morton own?

I agree that the judging is sometimes very shady. I have heard tales from the pressbox where the box judges see a band qued up to go and say "Wow! I've been waiting to see _____ all day!" and immediatly putting them in a placement and scoring them so that they stay there. Even more sad was the fact that this was at a well known non-local style venue. You may say this is untrue but I know otherwise. It's unfortunate but it's going away slowly (proof positive is Lake Park falling to LWE at Prospect and then below BOTH LW's regardless of penalties). Marian is not one of the bands that I would consider "over-rated". While their shows have declined over many years (as have almost every school's), they remain a powerful organization that places where they deserve to relative to other bands. I would consider Lake Park to be "over-rated" for several years until this season. Reason being, they were winning when other bands started putting on productions that rivaled their quality. In this case, it was Lake Park staying the same and other bands rising up to their level. Props are a completely different issue and I'm probably in the minority of those opposed 100% to them. It used to be only the larger bands with the budget but I think even Romeoville (Incredibles? correct me if I'm wrong) has a backdrop with the "I" logo on it. A band that uses props to cover subpar playing and marching with GE, no matter how effective could be considered over-rated. Case in point, the band at BOA Indianapolis who used the giant shiny pyramids and the all white baritone soloist. Good band...not good enough for finals, but the props were HUGE and the plumes mimicked them by being pyramids rather than feathers. Any band who doesn't use props seems to be underrated these days...

Marian's shows have declined? Something tells me you're not really paying attention to the activity. In fact, I'd say some of Marian's BEST shows were put out between 1995-2005. They don't really ever have an off-year. Not in performance.

Did that antic help them at all in the GE department? Or did the judges ignore it like the DCI judges do with voice-overs and singing?

I can understand your question of asking if it helped in GE, but to add in your personal issues (just for the sake of it) with a totally different topic is not very professional.

*sigh* I know this is off topic now, but if you think judges in DCI ignore voice-overs and singing, I suggest you listen to some judges tapes from the summer.

*$0.02*

now back to your regularly scheduled ON topic discussion.......

I personally didn't care for the plane flying over. I didn't feel it was in the best taste after what had happened. But, I"m sure others would disagree.

Judges don't ignore much of anything. GE looking at the big picture can/cannot include props, voice overs, amps, etc. It's what the staff's personal style is and what message they want to convey.

BillyIdol, I was speaking in a much narrower time frame than the past 15 years. And I was not trying to imply that they have ever had an "off" year.

Unless I was misinformed, I was told some time ago that the judges continue to judge the musical things that go on behind the singing (ex. Carolina Crown's 04 "Seasons of Love" section)...I guess I was wrong. Again tone does not carry very well over the internet, my fault entirely. I apologize if I somehow offended you.

Back to topic.

BillyIdol, I was speaking in a much narrower time frame than the past 15 years. And I was not trying to imply that they have ever had an "off" year.

Unless I was misinformed, I was told some time ago that the judges continue to judge the musical things that go on behind the singing (ex. Carolina Crown's 04 "Seasons of Love" section)...I guess I was wrong. Again tone does not carry very well over the internet, my fault entirely. I apologize if I somehow offended you.

Back to topic.

Don't worry about it. This isn't life or death or anything.

Marian has taken more conceptual risks (and have been burned on at least one occasion) in the past seven years. That one year was 2003. It was very different than what any band I have seen ever attempted before, but the minor chords, etc. just gave me a headache after a while.

Their shows from 1999-2002 were very good. 2003 was OK, but it was an all-or-nothing show GE wise and they lost that battle. Last year, they were very good, very solid. But didn't stand out in the top 12. Had them top 6 myself, but couldn't bring them into the top 4 or anything.