Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
SCFan

Morton..

I dont know if any of the IVC guys know him, But im good friends With Kyle Clark.

He was a Senior last year. I also know Tyler Marquardt (sp)? All 3 of us go to the same chruch. Kyle of course is off at College, but we used to hang out.

I know Kyle pretty well. We use to hang out and play poker and do crazy stuff like that. He is pretty funny kid. I haven't seen him in a while though. SCFan is actually Tyler's section leader, so if you want to talk to someone who knows Tyler, talk to him.

Don't think of it as losing seniors, think of it as gaining freshmen. Seriously, the can march.

In response to this, I can only say: Maybe your freshman can march, but half of ours don't even want to be in band. They don't want to work and they don't care. That was part of our problem this year. I wish we could just get rid of the people who don't even want to be there.

Well, eaglenut, I feal sorry for you guys. Even though we don't want to admit it, freshmen are important. And if the freshmen class isn't good, it could bring down a band. But you guys still did amazing, so there's some credit on how hard you guys worked. It's true, if the person doesn't want to march, they aint going to be good. Trust me, we have them in our band. Maybe you guys should have try outs, filter the good from the bad, I hear that's what we're are going to do next year.

And Howell, I'll admit Family Guy is addicting. Family Guy is to Howell, as Beatles are to Berg.

In response to this, I can only say: Maybe your freshman can march, but half of ours don't even want to be in band. They don't want to work and they don't care. That was part of our problem this year. I wish we could just get rid of the people who don't even want to be there.

We have some of those in our band.

on the topic of incoming freshman, from what ive seen morton doesnt have anything to worry about, Ive heard more than one respectable (not our own bnad students) opinions say that we have one of the best feeders in the area (mrs. f) and our upcoming classes seem really cool, and really devoted.

on the topic of IVC, do not worry, our band is still in rebuilding process and we managed to pull out a fine season, a young band doesnt mean a bad band by any means. How you manage your upcoming classes is more important than them being freshman, my biggest peice of advice is to not treat the freshman like freshman, treat them like how you would treat any of your other band members, especially to section leaders-treat your section like people, not like idiots. there not. Most of my freshman have done the majority of everything right this year. THe way to sucess is not through intimidation but by TLC (Tender Love and Care)

On the topic of friendliness on the forums, thank you to everyone, it does my heart good to not see everyone so competitive. Being somewhat of a hippy myself i would like to bring a qoute from the beatles "All you need is love" I'm glad we can put the childish rivalries behind us and discuss the season like civil human beings. I think that we would be more productive as a society if we could do this and learn from one another instead of putting everyone down and doing things our own way.

I do feel somewhat scared that my posts are going to offend people though, sorry if i do but i try my best.

Being somewhat of a hippy myself i would like to bring a qoute from the beatles "All you need is love" I'm glad we can put the childish rivalries behind us and discuss the season like civil human beings.

Wow, someone's quoting the Beatles, and it wasn't me, that's a first.

I wanna say that Morton did a good job on Saturday at Lincoln Way and I hope that we go at it again at Macomb.lol

You beat us by two places but our brothers UT beat the snot outta you.lol

Rock Island Rocks!!!!!!

-Ian-

Yeah....no. I don't think a loss of 1.15 consitiutes as "beating the snot" out of us. You might want to think about what you say before you say it next time.

I tend to agree re: squaresoft boy.

However, getting beat by 10.1 points WOULD constitute a snot beating. And nobody from Morton seems to be holding that over Rock Island's head.

This board would be a lot better if there was some sort of program that could automatically edit backhanded compliments. I'll get on it, and make some mucho money.

I also think squaresoft boy was sort of joking with the posters in this topic. I don't think he was really saying that UT beat the snot out of morton. It is just hard to read sarcasm in an online thread.

This board would be a lot better if there was some sort of program that could automatically edit backhanded compliments. I'll get on it, and make some mucho money.

Lemme know about that mucho money thing. I'm luckily breaking even on this whole venture ;)

yeah - careful what you say - whoever is from Rocky. People can't hear your "tone" on an online forum - things are always taken the wrong way online.

Also - UT did have a great show - but you don't need to rub it in that they beat someone - just congratulate them...........

Someone could go and compare the Marian scores to Rock Island at 4A ISU show and then talk about "beating the snot" out of someone right?

Always remember - what goes around comes around............just be nice on here and try not to brag.

Hey ilmarching, do you get money back if we click the ads at the bottom of the page? Another forum I'm on does that. We actually gained that guy about $10 in a couple days!

Hey ilmarching, do you get money back if we click the ads at the bottom of the page? Another forum I'm on does that. We actually gained that guy about $10 in a couple days!

Nope. This board is hosted by Invision, so they make money (I assume), but I get nothing. The reason for that is because this board started before ILMarching was at its current address, and so this board continued while the main website moved.

Phantom Regiment covers my costs (thanks Pat!)

btw congrats on making nightside on week.....looked good....

Thanks Benry. I heard from the Journal Star that IVC parents actually called and complained that the PJStar hadn't done anything on Morton after a successful season. How cool is that...tell your parents they rock. Maybe someday the local news organizations will realize that while fall sports are hard at work, marching bands from every community are working hard too. These are news worthy events that need more journalistic support in the future. Until then, I'll be working along side your parents to keep reminding them we are all here.

I was an athlete and band guy all the way through college and I still play competitive sports, and every sporting event I was in high school through college got press....not a single band event was ever covered. EVER!!! I think the activity is slowly making headway. Remember when your a band parent in 10 years to keep supporting the cause.

As an IVC parent I was simply amazed with the success of Morton this year. What a terrific show! Their success should reflect on Marching Band in general - a benefit for all schools. Those who have never marched or been exposed to the competitions have no idea how hard these marchers work. In regards to the Peoria Journal Star - they may not have received the information on MHS. We continually forwarded them our results with all local schools included, that's why the PJS mentioned IVC continually. Maybe there is more publicity to come on Morton, we'll see. Yesterday's awards assembly celebrating the Potters season was covered by WEEK 25. Morton has raised the bar for all schools. That is a very good thing. Congratulations on a terrific season, for Morton and for all band programs!

I doubt the Journal Star has received the informatino regarding Morton. My dad is the one who writes the press releases for marching band during the season, but beacuse we didn't go, he didn't know the results. So the press release didn't get sent in.

No...they put stuff in during the season when info was sent to them after the fact. In the tiny little section on Thursday. Mostly because your parents helped everybody in the area out by calling and writing...I was thanking you guys.

I mean in the future, maybe it might be something they actually send a staff photographer and journalist to. I mean Pekin isn't so far that they can't make an effort...Washington, Metamora, ISU, even U of I is packed with local bands. Once every two years, they do a tiny story. These are yearly events that should be covered by all the press in my opinion. Then again, I'm a band director, and I'm biased. We had a nice article last week, and so did Eureka...but we aren't the only two bands out there that deserve some press. The activity as whole needs to be recognized.

Thanks again to everyone for supporting music!

No...they put stuff in during the season when info was sent to them after the fact. In the tiny little section on Thursday. Mostly because your parents helped everybody in the area out by calling and writing...I was thanking you guys.

I mean in the future, maybe it might be something they actually send a staff photographer and journalist to. I mean Pekin isn't so far that they can't make an effort...Washington, Metamora, ISU, even U of I is packed with local bands. Once every two years, they do a tiny story. These are yearly events that should be covered by all the press in my opinion. Then again, I'm a band director, and I'm biased. We had a nice article last week, and so did Eureka...but we aren't the only two bands out there that deserve some press. The activity as whole needs to be recognized.

Thanks again to everyone for supporting music!

yea i think.....maybe my freshman year or a year before that the journal star didnt even mention anything about IVC and Eureka untill my mom sent them a letter and the put in a small artilce about us..... I really dont have any beef against the journal star putting large artilces about other schools marching band...for example farmington and limestone....but what i dont get is like say notredame got 8th in state for soccer...they get like a parade artilces and blah and when morton got 7th in finals this year and we won state the pervious years there was hardly anything about it........band is just as hard as some sports......

We have sent in updates to all local media every week during marching competitions in which we have been involved. In the last year at least an abbreviated version has gotten in print. The trick is for all local booster groups to designate a publicity person who writes news releases consistently. Include all local schools to give your story validity. Marching Band will get more attention eventually. On the TV side WEEK probably does the best. I have seen video from the Washington competition as well as the Morton awards ceremony the other day. The key to better coverage is up to you!