Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
He has to eat it!

Where did these guys come from?

I've been around the Illinois marching scene for awhile now. Up untill this year, nothing truely suprised me. Marian usually won night finals, IVC won there class, so on. This year, Morton upset IVC at Pekin. I did not expect them to keep the pace though. Last year at Pekin, IVC and Morton were separated by a few points, and as the season progresses, the margin increased. To my suprise, Morton kept the pace, winning Grand Champions at Danville. But at Metamora, IVC beat Morton. I expected IVC to win class 2A at ISU. Again to my suprise, Morton not only got first in class 2a, but they were scored as the 7th best band that attended ISU. I come to find that they also won there class at U of I that same day. How did these guys do it? Where did they come from? All I have to say is Congradulations.

Indeed. I'm from Morton. Last year we were fantastic compared to our years past. This year, I don't know what sparked us, but we did a ton better. I have to give props to Our horn sargents. They really helped our band. We worked hard. I know other bands do as well. In conclusion I'd say Blind Ambition.

Craig, thanks for a fantastic show.

:D I Just want to say thankyou to IVC because you push us (Morton) to the level that we are right now. You had a really good show on Saterday. Good Job this Season. We will all miss you next year.

:D

You know, the corn hasn't even expired yet.

We did amazing, yes, but there is still more of the year left. If we work as hard again this week, there is no telling what we can do up in Lincoln Way. Just watching some of those bands was amazing, Marion, Lincoln Wa, Lake Park, now were almost up there. Next year is going to be even better.

P.S. Good luck IVC. Seriously, you guys are amazing! I will miss listening to you guys.

P.P.S GO CARDS!!!

Mark's right about it being the competition. IVC has been the band to beat (according to us) for x many years, and this year we decided to take it up a notch and see if we have what it takes. Plus we have (in my humble opinion) the best staff bar none. Course alot of other people say that about their bands (and to them its true and Im not trying to say their wrong). Wouldn't trade them for anyone else, cause there is no one else who is as crazy as us that would take the task of directing us. (or eat a can of 3yr old corn or shave his head)

Heres my take....

They have one amazing program that is on the rise. IVC and Morton encountered each other 3 times this year. They beat us by 2 points...we beat them by 3 points...and they came out and outscored us by 6 points at ISU.

They got here by hard work, dedication, and motivation. It was great to compete against them.

its funny im more mad at kids at my school making fun of us losing then morton winning....lol today in class a kid was like hey hey wait what how did the band do yea thats right...football... some people drive me nuts....im glad there arnt people like that on these forums

No joke. Today in prime time we watched some of our, Morton's, show. This cheerleader says " pshh why are we watching the band?" I said it was because we were good and made night finals, placing 7th. She scoffed and turned around. If only people on the outside understood the tremendous effort that marching band demands from you, Then they might appreciate us. Until then, we just have to keep our mouths shut and leave the evidence on the field.

No joke. Today in prime time we watched some of our, Morton's, show. This cheerleader says " pshh why are we watching the band?" I said it was because we were good and made night finals, placing 7th. She scoffed and turned around. If only people on the outside understood the tremendous effort that marching band demands from you, Then they might appreciate us. Until then, we just have to keep our mouths shut and leave the evidence on the field.

I Agree with that. Nobody understands what we do. Including the Football team.

Nobody understands what we do. Including the Football team.

Getting hit in the head constantly tends to make some people a little slow on the uptake.

No worries. It's a band thing. And they'll never understand. Thank goodness for that too, otherwise they'd want to do it!!!

It is that cheerleader's loss....she is one of many that is missing out on something great. It is a family....and a team...a team where no one sits the bench. I think members of a band like Morton, IVC, or any competitive band have an experience in life that few can say they've had.

Keep up the hard work and don't worry about those other people...maybe someday they'll understand.

I think that band should be considered a sport by the state? maybe if it were then they would understand where we come from. I find it obscene that these people absolutely dislike band but will listen to very distasteful music on the radio. I guess it just proves that many times we are on a higher plane than they are.

It's kinda nice to know we're forming our own marching band support group here. Yeah I do have to say though marching band is getting more support in our school. The cheerleaders are getting jelous cus everyone claps for us at football games. But as far as IVC, you guys put on a great show, anyone who says otherwise should be sent to a mental institution.

I've had diffrent reactions from people at school. Most people (preps, geeks, even some football players) have congradulated me for the band. Plus alot of teachers are making big deals about it. So as we get better, are popularity will get bigger. I've even heard preps saying that we're better then the football team (which in fact is true). If we keep it up, we'll be huge at school. Not every football player is dense, most of what I've heard is awesome.

P.S KEEP IT UP CARDS, JUST 6 MORE INNINGS AND WE HAVE IT THE BAG!

I think that band should be considered a sport by the state? maybe if it were then they would understand where we come from.

I know I might get hanged for this, but I don't think marching band is a sport. In a sport, anything can happen. You can miss a free throw, hit a home-run, catch a pass, steal third, get sacked behind the line. Sports are unpredictable, and you plan for everything. Marching band is seat in stone, you go to a certain place, play certain notes. Sure someone could mess up but it wouldn't effect the whole show. I'm not saying marching band is easy. I've played football, and in almost all aspects, marching band is harder. But that's my thought. Now to anwser the question, were we came from, we came from Morton, in case you didn't know.

I have to give props to Our horn sargents. They really helped our band.

Thank you that means alot.

I think that band should be considered a sport by the state? maybe if it were then they would understand where we come from.

I believe that they do, maybe not by some standards but we get P. E. Exempt, that comes from the state of illinois.

Getting back to the thread topic, I think that it was no special formula to sucess. Having seen the band come from the absolute worst, to 7th in the state i have seen that we saw what it takes, it took us 4 years, but we saw what it takes, and that was alot of hard work, sweat and a little bit of blood. Last year we came closer, and this year we came blindly into Pekin and took it. I think from there it was a lot of motivation from other bands and our competitive edge got the best of us. I enjoy seeing all of the positive comments on here, but i hear things around the school too and we are extremely competitive. I would like to thank IVC, Hersher, and all the other bands that pushed us for being as great as they were to make us finally take that last step, but I also want to thank our band for taking that oppunity to take that last step. you guys worked your butts off this year and its been a great season.

I believe that they do, maybe not by some standards but we get P. E. Exempt, that comes from the state of illinois.

Getting back to the thread topic, I think that it was no special formula to sucess. Having seen the band come from the absolute worst, to 7th in the state i have seen that we saw what it takes, it took us 4 years, but we saw what it takes, and that was alot of hard work, sweat and a little bit of blood. Last year we came closer, and this year we came blindly into Pekin and took it. I think from there it was a lot of motivation from other bands and our competitive edge got the best of us. I enjoy seeing all of the positive comments on here, but i hear things around the school too and we are extremely competitive. I would like to thank IVC, Hersher, and all the other bands that pushed us for being as great as they were to make us finally take that last step, but I also want to thank our band for taking that oppunity to take that last step. you guys worked your butts off this year and its been a great season.

The season isn't over yet!

same here we get out of pe with band...but hey it is demanding but you know hey do football players know the difference between a cresendo and a decresendo????or anything else...haha i think my junior high band teacher Mr. Chapman said that statistically band students do better on test like the ACT because you know lol......but hey i think bands fun all around you get to meet great people from schools like morton, licoln way and all these fine orginizations around the state....

I know I might get hanged for this, but I don't think marching band is a sport. In a sport, anything can happen. You can miss a free throw, hit a home-run, catch a pass, steal third, get sacked behind the line. Sports are unpredictable, and you plan for everything. Marching band is seat in stone, you go to a certain place, play certain notes. Sure someone could mess up but it wouldn't effect the whole show. I'm not saying marching band is easy. I've played football, and in almost all aspects, marching band is harder. But that's my thought. Now to anwser the question, were we came from, we came from Morton, in case you didn't know.

I think you should take a look at Uncle Webster and find the definition of "sport," then see if you still think that Marching Band should not be considered a "sport." I agree with Morton Bari08, if we were officially a sport, I think that we would gain more respect. However, I like the fact that there are only a select number of people in the school that do exactly what you do. Marching band is almost like a club of everyone who wants to accomplish the same goals. Even though I think Marching Band is a sport, I don't think that it should become part of the IHSA. Just a thought

The cheerleaders are getting jelous cus everyone claps for us at football games.

I recall a time when someone in town wrote a letter to the editor and it was in the paper complaining that it wasn't nice that so many people just left after the band performed & that they should stay to support the football team. They even thought the band was rude by not staying the whole game and leaving after halftime. Galesburg has never had a good football team. My senior year we were 0-9, so it made sense that people left after watching the band, but no one understands that the band is hard work and that a lot of the time we had a competition the next day so staying till the end of the game was pretty much a waste of time for us.

As for the topic of this thread- Morton, your show is incredible. Good luck with the rest of your season.

The cheerleaders are getting jelous cus everyone claps for us at football games.

I recall a time when someone in town wrote a letter to the editor and it was in the paper complaining that it wasn't nice that so many people just left after the band performed & that they should stay to support the football team. They even thought the band was rude by not staying the whole game and leaving after halftime. Galesburg has never had a good football team. My senior year we were 0-9, so it made sense that people left after watching the band, but no one understands that the band is hard work and that a lot of the time we had a competition the next day so staying till the end of the game was pretty much a waste of time for us.

As for the topic of this thread- Morton, your show is incredible. Good luck with the rest of your season.

same happened here