Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
MHSeraoh

Woodwinds

Seems like its all Brass and drumline on this site.

So what makes a good woodwind section, and whose got a good one etc.

I personally think a woodwind section needs a really good blend across flutes, clarinets, and saxes, which doesn't seem to happen much in bands these days

I agree with you on that. you need really good blend across woodwinds. and I really think you need a strong woodwind section. a section that is proud to say "hey I'm a woodwind, and proud of it". plus awesome vibrato tone, and opening up!

:blink:

I agree with you on that. you need really good blend across woodwinds. and I really think you need a strong woodwind section. a section that is proud to say "hey I'm a woodwind, and proud of it". plus awesome vibrato tone, and opening up! :blink:

I agree with you! I played a woodwind instrument back in high school. My director always said that there is no band without the woodwinds. Yes, percussion and brass are now the most rated but woodwinds gice the life and backround to the music!

The first step to a great woodwind section is to have a group composed entirely of great fundamental players.

The second step is to have a show that is properly written to showcase the brass, color guard, and drumline, but also the woodwinds.

I think that a majority of marching band arrangers/composers/designers doesn

...Marion Catholic's shows are generally written very well and showcase the woodwind section.

I agree wholeheartedly and would add Lake Park as generally doing a fine jog of showcasing thier woodwind section, and producing an excellent sound.

Seems like its all Brass and drumline on this site.

So what makes a good woodwind section, and whose got a good one etc.

I personally think a woodwind section needs a really good blend across flutes, clarinets, and saxes, which doesn't seem to happen much in bands these days

I agree too...but woodwinds need to listen to the tubas (lowest sound in the band) to cres. up...if you don't all you get is higher voice...you need all voices to make every section good. our band is having some problems in that w/ Nessen Dorma. We have so much woodwind the the brass is blowing their brains out....maybe it is just me from where i am at..maybe my band director can say it is good..but our first preformance for a football game....we had our first two songs on the field..and our principal was watching us...(he is very supportive of us) when we got to our second song...he was crying...that was a great feeling...half our fans that comes...comes to see us..ha ha isnt' that great.....but to sum up....i think you need the brass in order to be a good woodwind section

Woodwinds are tricky to showcase in marching band - because the show then sounds "naked" without the power of brass and percussion.

Waubonsie Valley does a good job with their little clarinet choirs at the beginning of their show.

UT has a fine clarinet soloist with their Rhapsody in Blue show - and the woodwinds shine nicely in the ballad of their show under the mellophone feature.

Lake Park as a great woodwind section.

Woodwinds are tricky to showcase in marching band - because the show then sounds "naked" without the power of brass and percussion.

I believe that a solid bass clarinet section and a brassline/drumline that understands balance can help the often "naked" woodwind section timbre.

Another factor that can contribute to the nakedness of woodwinds is that marching woodwind books are often written for projection rather than tone. Even the best high school clarinet and sax sections have pitch problems when the the tessitura is written completely about the staff. Who wants to listen to 24 high school clarient players play a high E?

You know what makes a good wodwind section, NO WOODWIND SECTION. Woodwind instruments should be thrown into a bonfire except for bagpipes because they're cool. Drum Corps style all the way!!

that was kinda mean....we are just as good as you can

You know what makes a good wodwind section, NO WOODWIND SECTION. Woodwind instruments should be thrown into a bonfire except for bagpipes because they're cool. Drum Corps style all the way!!

I disagree with that. Don't get me wrong, I like drum corps, but I heard a band this past weekend where the brass obviously out powered the woodwinds and it was horrible in my opinion. It was an Iowa band, and they had multiple areas where they featured either the trumpets or the mellophones or in one area even the trombones- but never the woodwinds. It was hard to tell they even had woodwinds if you didn't see the woodwinds marching on the field.

I agree completely. The only thing a marching woodwind section is good for is to set a volume level for the brass to play over. They also serve as a good way to get your brass section to sell the show.....ie: our band director getting the brass section to play out more by saying that the flutes were louder than the trumpets. That is simply unacceptable. But it is a good way to embarass your brass section into selling the show. Too bad high school marching bands can't go drum corps style....

I believe that a solid bass clarinet section and a brassline/drumline that understands balance can help the often "naked" woodwind section timbre.

I think it also works the other way, woodwinds are the contrast that can set the tone for the brass

but I see alot of big bands with pretty terrible blend within the sections, ESPECIALLY clarinets

I havn't been terribly impressed with the "bigger bands" woodwinds sounds at metamora, danville, or pekin.

I must say, Dunlap does a good job keeping all the pics in tune

I agree completely. The only thing a marching woodwind section is good for is to set a volume level for the brass to play over. They also serve as a good way to get your brass section to sell the show.....ie: our band director getting the brass section to play out more by saying that the flutes were louder than the trumpets. That is simply unacceptable. But it is a good way to embarass your brass section into selling the show. Too bad high school marching bands can't go drum corps style....

I realize these comments were probably made partly tongue-in-cheek, but still...marching band isn't drum corps, and we shouldn't try to make it fit into the same box. A good (keyword being good) woodwind section can provide the perfect contrast to (and sometimes relief from! ;) ) the brass and percussion. It's an indispensible tone color, and marching band wouldn't be marching band without the woodwinds. Granted, many bands and arrangers don't take full advantage of the woodwind section in high school marching bands, and instead they favor the volume of which the brass and drumline are capable (incidentally, these types of arrangments are the same ones that usually reduce the mallets' roles to doubling flutes and clarinets...<_< ).

And from a purely educational standpoint, um...what are the woodwinds supposed to be doing for the first half of the year, then, while the rest of the band goes out and marches?

I realize these comments were probably made partly tongue-in-cheek, but still...marching band isn't drum corps, and we shouldn't try to make it fit into the same box. A good (keyword being good) woodwind section can provide the perfect contrast to (and sometimes relief from! ;) ) the brass and percussion. It's an indispensible tone color, and marching band wouldn't be marching band without the woodwinds. Granted, many bands and arrangers don't take full advantage of the woodwind section in high school marching bands, and instead they favor the volume of which the brass and drumline are capable (incidentally, these types of arrangments are the same ones that usually reduce the mallets' roles to doubling flutes and clarinets...<_< ).

And from a purely educational standpoint, um...what are the woodwinds supposed to be doing for the first half of the year, then, while the rest of the band goes out and marches?

Yes it is true that we're pretty much just kidding when we bash the woodwinds. We are brass players and who among us HASN'T bashed woodwinds (especially trumpet players) at some point in time.........But i will give them some creidt considering we do showcase them in one of our songs....... And now an answer to your education standpoint question (kidding of course).....the woodwind players could spend that time washing our uniforms and polishing our shoes until concert season when they are actually wanted and or needed.

but whose got the rockin woodwinds of central Illinois?

as I said before, I don't think it is any of the larger bands

For the central IL area, Morton's woodwinds have really impressed me this year, especially considering where they've come from! When I first started paying attention to this band about four years ago, it was a pretty small ww section--only two or three clarinets, if I remember correctly! The balance and blend within each section, as well as across the woodwinds as a whole, was a weak point, and tone quality in the reeds was an issue. Lately though, they've increased their numbers in the woodwinds (and even added bass clarinets!), and they've been developing a much more mature sound than they used to have.

Not to say that there aren't other central IL bands with great woodwind sections--Morton's just shown so much improvement over the past few years that it's made me take notice. Plus, their music arrangements this year have some nice sections that really showcase the woodwinds' sound.

I've seen a few shows. How many had real woodwind exposure? I'm coming up pretty blank

I recall woodwind moments in both Herscher and Mahomet-Seymor's shows. Washington's slower tune is pretty woodwind heavy in terms of orchestration. Metamora's arrangement has some great potential for woodwind players.

I agree with aprilfool. I've notice some positive growth in Morton's woodwind section.