Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
beatleberg

best drunline

Who's the best drumline? Is it still Morton, or has some one else taken over?

IMO, it's still Morton by quite a bit. Nobody in the area matches them as far as cleanliness, difficulty of playing, and visual energy that they bring to the show. They play difficult stuff really fast, and really clean. And they have great balance. Their snares are hot, their tenors are hot, and their basses are pretty hot as well.

Another drumline that's usually pretty good is Washington. I haven't seen them yet this year, but usually they are ok.

IVC is good some years, and then average the others. I think what tends to limit IVC is that they march too many snares, and their snares tend to be a bit muddy. Their bass sound is nice this year.

Normal Community is traditionally strong, haven't seen them this year yet. I think they won drumline awards at Washington last week.

I did see Normal West at Danville, and I remember thinking that their drumline was ok, but not as strong as previous years.

But, IMO, no other central Illinois drumline attempts to do the things that Morton does, and does well.

Another thing I like about Morton that I don't see in a lot of other bands is attention to the role of the tenors. Morton's tenors do a lot of really technical stuff, more like what you'd see tenors doing in corps. A lot of local drumlines don't write that level of tenor parts for their players, so when you hear Morton it's really refreshing to hear that crisp corps-like tenor sound.

Yeah, i think Morton has the best drumline around. They have a great sound, and they are tight and clean. I only heard them at the football game, but they were good even then. I can't wait to hear them in an actual competition.

We (IVC) had a great drumline 4 years ago, when we did the Season of Peace show, but then they all graduated. That year we either tied or beat Lincoln Way East at Prospect. That line was amazing. This year we have two freshman snares, even though we have four upperclassmen on the line. We have too many snares.

I remember last year, Eureka's drumline was pretty good. I haven't heard them yet this year.

my brothers freshman year 1999 at IVC was insane.....they were good and the best part was a chick was the main snare but she was good.....that was pictures at an exhibition.....they were really good then....

I really enjoyed IVC's drumline during the Divine Comedy Show.

That line and show was simply amazing. My freshmen year. That was the greatest show I've ever played. So emotional and musical and at times in your face...it was fun.

What schoola re you from/what year?

I've never paid attention to Morton's drumline but man, Washington has a VERY GOOD drumline! They seem to have a good drumline from year to year.

Washington has a very solid drumline. They are consistent year to year. Did you see Morton on Saturday. My guess is no.

I really enjoyed IVC's drumline during the Divine Comedy Show.

That line and show was simply amazing. My freshmen year. That was the greatest show I've ever played. So emotional and musical and at times in your face...it was fun.

What schoola re you from/what year?

that show was by far one of the best showed ever performed in the last 4 years.... in centeral ill..... the emotional end of it was so huge..... being part of that was just amazing.... having it be your freshmen show kind of sucked because you felt that no other piece as quite as good

All these people that are saying Morton, Thanks. We underwent a refacing of the line since last year. we lost several key players. It was nice to see new leadership develop. Fantastic line Morton. Rocky, haven't seen them. I'll look forward to in future comp's

Thanks for all the comments about Washington! I'm really surprised at how good we did compared to last year (10/19) and this year 2. We have a very young line and were only losing 3 people next year. The really sad thing is our captin (Ben) broke his head 3 beats into the show so he had to air-drum his last experience at U of I.

Thanks..the Divine Comedy was my freshmen yaer...my favorite show...this Copland show was probably the cleanest we ever marched though.

Its good to see others rememberd the Divine Comedy show...

Yeah i think that landon has a good point, unless you have a real comment, you probably shouldnt be on here. ITs great that you enjoy the band, or just the drumline, but dont post unless you have something positive to add to the thread.

I think we (Rocky) have a pretty good battery and if our frontline plays their best at Macomb then we might be able to win best percussion again. We automaticly get 1st in our class because we're the only ones in our class.lol it's kinda sad. But we're going for Grand Champion and we're gonna play our best so thanks for any support from anybody.

-Ian-