Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
G-burg09

the best sounding bands

Well, I think Morton, and IVC are tied for number #1. IVC has a huge sound which could (and does most of the time) knock my socks off. While Morton only has around 100 in their band makes a very impressing sound. The soloist are awesome, and the tubas are LOUD, or so I think.

IVC does have a great sound but needs some work like all bands do. Galesburg works on their sound all the time.

IVC has a great sound huh? Thats strange.....we've only heard them once.....not much of an experience to be judging sound i would say. But it is true that Galesburg works on their sound all the time.....but not in the way your saying it. In truth "working on our sound" is Mr. B trying to get the right side of the field (low brass) to start playing like they have some balls......and there are only a few of them doing so ie: mark, liz, some baritones......i mean come on....we're playing robin hood: prince of thieves......not peter pan: prancing drag queen....

IVC does have a great sound but needs some work like all bands do. Galesburg works on their sound all the time.

IVC has a great sound huh? Thats strange.....we've only heard them once.....not much of an experience to be judging sound i would say. But it is true that Galesburg works on their sound all the time.....but not in the way your saying it. In truth "working on our sound" is Mr. B trying to get the right side of the field (low brass) to start playing like they have some balls......and there are only a few of them doing so ie: mark, liz, some baritones......i mean come on....we're playing robin hood: prince of thieves......not peter pan: prancing drag queen....

Yeah, some the others in the GHS low brass really need to step it up. Fourteen people playing they're guts out doesn't make up for the slackers. Galesburg should have had auditions this year and i'm not the only one who feels that way! The trombones are blowing they're guts out.

Thanks for all the kudos to IVC...nice to hear.

Morton has a good sound...so does Herscher.

We have really been working on our music a lot...trying to clean it up and add dynamics and shaping. I hope it pays off.

Thanks for all the kudos to IVC...nice to hear.

Morton has a good sound...so does Herscher.

We have really been working on our music a lot...trying to clean it up and add dynamics and shaping. I hope it pays off.

yea thanks... if your gonna say band that have great sound anyone that makes finals at ISU is good...i mean you cant make finals with a horrible sound come on so anyone that has made finals at one point deservers some credit..

I'd like to disagree with the statement that IVC has a good sound. I don't think IVC sounds horrible, but good surely isn't the right word from when I saw them at Pekin. I think they look fine, but I was rather bored during their show at Pekin. I suppose I'll see if they've improved come Saturday. It's nothing personal against IVC. Perhaps it's simply because the show seems so slow.

I'd like to disagree with the statement that IVC has a good sound. I don't think IVC sounds horrible, but good surely isn't the right word from when I saw them at Pekin. I think they look fine, but I was rather bored during their show at Pekin. I suppose I'll see if they've improved come Saturday. It's nothing personal against IVC. Perhaps it's simply because the show seems so slow.

Its a different kind of show then a band say like Washington or Dunlap is doing. Its Copland. Its music that has stood and will stand the test of time. Its not rock music, or show music, or a movie theme. I've heard many people say it bores them which is fine with me. We don't do anything way out there. But I like the music...and think we are really taking it places now.

Its a different kind of show then a band say like Washington or Dunlap is doing. Its Copland. Its music that has stood and will stand the test of time. Its not rock music, or show music, or a movie theme. I've heard many people say it bores them which is fine with me. We don't do anything way out there. But I like the music...and think we are really taking it places now.

Like I said, perhaps it's improved from Pekin. I don't care much for bands that consistently do rock music- it's not as difficult to play. I just think a show should be interesting at least slightly. You want to get the crowd's appeal (some competitions even have a crowd appeal award for that reason). I don't mean any disrespect, it's just my opinion from the one time I've seen IVC's show this year.

Like I said, perhaps it's improved from Pekin. I don't care much for bands that consistently do rock music- it's not as difficult to play. I just think a show should be interesting at least slightly. You want to get the crowd's appeal (some competitions even have a crowd appeal award for that reason). I don't mean any disrespect, it's just my opinion from the one time I've seen IVC's show this year.

No disrespect taken....everyone has their different opinions...not everyone is expected to like a show.

best of luck at metamora

There are a lot of schools with great sounds. Of course Marian, Lake Park, Prospect, and all the regulars....sorry if I didn't list your school...their are some great bands in the state.

As for the central IL bands (my part of the state)....they have different strengths.

Historically IVC has played has played somewhat more technical wind books pretty well...along with having a solid drumline. I can also recall some strong soloists and small ensembles on the field that sounded great over the last couple years. This year has a small brass quartet in the the promise of living that is very nice. They also have a tradition of playing quality literature, which is awesome to hear.

Morton has come to the surface slowly the last couple years. Morton's strength isn't sheer technical prowess, but balance, blend, and uniformity of sound in the brass, as well as a very very strong drumline. They do very fast and demanding drill, which may be part of the reason their wind books don't seem quite as "technical" as some groups I've seen. (Note: I didn't say the music was easy...just not techinical, so please don't take offense.) The other thing that impressed me about Morton is the fact that they have less than 70 winds, and I think only 35 of them are brass. I feel they can put out as much GOOD sound as many bands that are much larger. Their shows seem a little less traditional which is fun to see....nice contrast at a long day of competition. They really caught me by surprise this year.

Galesburg has a good sound that can really back a punch. I haven't seen them as much as some of the other bands so I don't have a lot of specifics to list. They definitely have a lot of energy from what I have seen from them this year, so I expect they will continue to do well. They also seem to really grab the crowds attention.

Washington is a very strong band that often gets overlooked in the marching band discussions. They have a tradition of strong performances that are very crowd friendly. Very high energy with a solid drumline and trumpet section. They had a trumpet soloist that was very good when I saw them at the Washington competition this past weekend. Very enjoyable show, and if they can get the end of it as good as the beginning they will be a strong force again this year.

Then of course there is Normal Community and Normal West....sorry I'm listing together, but the two of you always seem to enter the conversation at the same time. Normal Community has a great tradition of excellence. Strong winds and drumline...same goes for Normal West, although a smaller marching band in size. I'm not sure what I think of the shows Normal Community has done the last couple years, but they are still a great sounding band regardless.

Just a few observations....lots of great bands!

I'd be willing to bet, and I'm sure SCFan can back this up, that IVC has improved a ton since Pekin.

Metamora will be, IMO, the first time we're all seeing people's shows in the way they want us to see them. After all, ISU is the very next weekend. Some bands may be saving a little something to add the week in between, but the vast bulk of the product will be on the field at Metamora.

OMG OMG THAT WAS A RUDE COMMENT!!! I'm JOKING I'm JOKING!!! yes we sucked at Pekin...I'd like to call that a BAD SHOW. Things just weren't on. Beware though.....its all clean now :-p.

GL to everyone

Yeah....we didn't have a horrible show at Pekin..but that was our first show. Things aren't going to be near the same. I wish you would have seen us at Pontiac that night instead. We had a great show that night. We'll be adding elements for this show that people have yet to see..some good GE moves to add to the musical effect. Its all about shaping and dynamics right now for us.

IVC has a good sound. That is just how it is. Morton has a good sound. So does Herscher. And Galesburg sounds good too. The only thing that matters is how the bands sound during the competitions. It doesn't matter how good you sound in practice, only those 8 or 9 minutes were you are performing. You could have people out of tune or just off that day. Sometimes you just have to bring it on the field and leave the discussion out of it.

Any band can have a good sound if they practice and try their hardest and devote a lot of time and effort, but IVC has a great sound. That's about the only band I've even heard part of.

I have not had a chance to see IVC yet..hopefully this weekend.

I enjoy Morton's show, espcially with the velocity on parts, but from a musical stand point they are not always as balanced as some of the other bands, from what I remember and the brass, as strong as they are, tend to have an edgy sound that may contribute to the balance issues.

Percussion is hands down one of the best in the state at this point (that I've seen). The battery does out-perform the pit, though, from a technical and emotional stand point.

Morton has a great program this year. I think it will come down to how clean they can get everything.

Yeah, some the others in the GHS low brass really need to step it up. Fourteen people playing they're guts out doesn't make up for the slackers. Galesburg should have had auditions this year and i'm not the only one who feels that way! The trombones are blowing they're guts out.

Go GHS trombones

Any band can have a good sound if they practice and try their hardest and devote a lot of time and effort, but IVC has a great sound.  That's about the only band I've even heard part of.

I have not had a chance to see IVC yet..hopefully this weekend.

I enjoy Morton's show, espcially with the velocity on parts, but from a musical stand point they are not always as balanced as some of the other bands, from what I remember and the brass, as strong as they are, tend to have an edgy sound that may contribute to the balance issues.

Percussion is hands down one of the best in the state at this point (that I've seen). The battery does out-perform the pit, though, from a technical and emotional stand point.

Morton has a great program this year. I think it will come down to how clean they can get everything.

Overall I agree with you, but from the several times I've seen Morton this year...they are the least edgy and better balanced bands...from low voices to high that I've seen this year. One of the more symphonic sounds I've heard.

Most of the bands I've seen this year have edgy or non-existent low brass with a overbearing edgy trumpet section.

Also, I agree their drumline is very tight.

Funny thing, if you look at the ACTUAL Judges recaps from the Downers Grove competition you'll find that the "BEST" individual music score was not from an Illinois band at all.... http://www.geocities.com/midwestmarching/05/full/05dgs.txt

Wow.... so what do the self imposed "Monday Morning Quarterbacks" have to say about this?

:ph43r: Comments?

Yeah, Morton's low brass is one of the best. The two senior baritones with solos are amazing. Plus the 3 sousas and contra are louder then other tuba lines which have 6 or more. Plus we have Craig.

B)

Funny thing, if you look at the ACTUAL Judges recaps from the Downers Grove competition you'll find that the "BEST" individual music score was not from an Illinois band at all.... http://www.geocities.com/midwestmarching/05/full/05dgs.txt

Wow.... so what do the self imposed "Monday Morning Quarterbacks" have to say about this?

:ph43r: Comments?

I guess my response was a little argumentative before...because my post is gone...so I will respond differently. How can you make a quality judgement on the "BEST" sounding band solely on the individual music judges scores. Ensemble music is an important factor too.