Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
BandGeeks101

Best Bands?

Who are the best A, AA, AAA bands in the state?

A-St.Rita! Why? I just found out today that they came in first in ther last 6 contest. I thinks thats awesome! Lets see if they can keep it up!

AA- Wheeling! I have been paying attention to them! That is one awesome band!

AAA- Who else but Marian! There are some good bands but marian always comes up on top!

What do yo think?

yeah.. band size or school size?

but for 3A , definately Marian Catholic, though their guard could use more work this year

2A.. i dont know.. if we're goin by band size, i want to say us. but then i sound.. i dunno... vain? :D ive never actually seen any of the other bands in this class.. this is the first time we're in this class! :D

Not to be a pessimest or anything, but seriously, is the admin going to let this kind of discussion take place? All that we are asking for here is for some kids to come in and say why they think that their band is the best or for the same kid to state the obvious. I havn't been a member very long, but I find this topic absolutly useless. It has been establised not only by the administrators of this site, but also by the competitions that take place every weekend that some bands sore higher, some bands score lower, some bands break 80, some are happy breaking 50! Ya know what, I take some of that back. Comparing bands is okay! But not on past performances. Until Marian competes with Prospect, Lake Park, and the LW schools (those named the top 5 last year by the board), you can not compare them. If my sources are correct, everyone is going to be at the BOA Indy Regional, so talk about it after that. The same goes for the other classes. Wheeling is a great band, no discredit to them, but have you seen any of the other top bands in that 'class'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Morton proved successful this year along with some other schools.

Instead of a stupid juvenile arguement, why dont you have some facts to base your assumptions off of!

Prospect, LWE, and LWC have already competed this year. And LP was scored along with all the others at their show. The only band that remains elusive to me is Marian Catholic. I'd say this topic IS rather pointless but it could be made better by comparing who HAS BEEN the best based on history/track records from previous years OR who has scored the best thus far this season. I would hesitate to use BOA as the great equilizer though. I'd use ISU and then factor in Prospect where appropriate (based on LAST SEASON, below Marian and above Lake Park, for instance). I suppose a lot of people don't have exposure to the groups you mentioned (hence someone predicting a third place UT at ISU this season, no offense...LWE currently holds that honor and I don't believe they are about to give it up).

Prospect, LWE, and LWC have already competed this year. And LP was scored along with all the others at their show. The only band that remains elusive to me is Marian Catholic. I'd say this topic IS rather pointless but it could be made better by comparing who HAS BEEN the best based on history/track records from previous years OR who has scored the best thus far this season. I would hesitate to use BOA as the great equilizer though. I'd use ISU and then factor in Prospect where appropriate (based on LAST SEASON, below Marian and above Lake Park, for instance). I suppose a lot of people don't have exposure to the groups you mentioned (hence someone predicting a third place UT at ISU this season, no offense...LWE currently holds that honor and I don't believe they are about to give it up).

Let's face it. Marian and Lake Park may be up to late starts, but LWE and LWC will round out the top 4 with VJA and WV fighting. At Downers, WV beat LWE in Music and Visual, but LWE annihilated in General Effect. As for VJA, I see them moving up.

I don't think that's lack of exposure LWCMTrumpet........

UT and VJA have gotten 4th on more than one occasion - with VJA even getting 3rd once..........

I think it would be lack of exposure to say that a band who rarely makes finals will finish in the Top 5 this year.

Waubonsie Valley, VJA, Naperville North, and UT will be all very close in score - and all of them, in 2 weeks, could creep up on the Top 3.

Waubonsie Valley, VJA, Naperville North, and UT will be all very close in score - and all of them, in 2 weeks, could creep up on the Top 3.

VJA, definitely. Waubonsie looked like they had their whole show on the field at Wheaton. Have yet to see UT and Naperville North.

yeah.. well.. at Wheaton North on Saturday, Marian Catholic got a 88.8 and we got a 85.7 .. i guess that doesnt tell you anything but to us that was the most amazingest thing ever

:D

Marian also had two competitions last Saturday, so that might have had something to do with it....For as long as I can remember, they haven't done two seperate competitions in one day....ISU and BOA don't count

Prospect, LWE, and LWC have already competed this year.  And LP was scored along with all the others at their show. The only band that remains elusive to me is Marian Catholic. I'd say this topic IS rather pointless but it could be made better by comparing who HAS BEEN the best based on history/track records from previous years OR who has scored the best thus far this season.  I would hesitate to use BOA as the great equilizer though. I'd use ISU and then factor in Prospect where appropriate (based on LAST SEASON, below Marian and above Lake Park, for instance). I suppose a lot of people don't have exposure to the groups you mentioned (hence someone predicting a third place UT at ISU this season, no offense...LWE currently holds that honor and I don't believe they are about to give it up).

Let's face it. Marian and Lake Park may be up to late starts, but LWE and LWC will round out the top 4 with VJA and WV fighting. At Downers, WV beat LWE in Music and Visual, but LWE annihilated in General Effect. As for VJA, I see them moving up.

To me, it depends on who has more of the show on the field. I assume most bands, like Lincoln Way East, Central, Andrew will have their entire shows on. I'm not sure about Lake Park or Marian. I assume Lake Park will have theirs done and I am assuming that Marian will HAVE to have theirs done, as a bigger regional at St. Louis looms a week thereafter, then BOA Indianapolis.

If Marian does not have their show done, I would not be surprised with seeing Lake Park crowned state champion. I would, however, be surprised with seeing one of the Lincoln Way's walk away with it.

I don't see LWE outplacing Marian. Maybe I'm just going on past experience, but Lake Park can still bring it and it wouldn't slip my mind to slot them in there as a possibility.

This all depends on Marian's preparedness, which I highly doubt will be less than a full show. If Marian brings a full show, they'll be the odds-on favorite.