Illinois Marching Online

Hopefully it doesn't affect the season; I was expecting this to be an exciting season!

My guess June band camps will be cancelled, but hopefully the main camps in July and August can be completed.

This is going to be interesting. If they are able to have a marching season are they going to be allowed to have fans in the seats? If there are no fans I doubt a lot of schools that host these competitions will still have them because the fans and concessions are where they make their money. 

Let's hope for the best and that things are allowed to continue especially for the upcoming Seniors and what would be their last marching season.

7 hours ago, joesax said:

This is going to be interesting. If they are able to have a marching season are they going to be allowed to have fans in the seats? If there are no fans I doubt a lot of schools that host these competitions will still have them because the fans and concessions are where they make their money. 

Let's hope for the best and that things are allowed to continue especially for the upcoming Seniors and what would be their last marching season.

I agree. This may hurt local competitions. But live streaming both of our state competitions and BOA events could be very interesting if is considered. People would still pay for the live streams. 

On 5/28/2020 at 10:20 PM, Dan Balash said:

The NHFS has released their guidelines for a return to high school marching band.

https://www.nfhs.org/media/3812329/2020-nfhs-guidance-for-returning-to-high-school-marching-band-activities.pdf

Smaller bands (i.e <100 members) will have a easier time resuming marching band normalcy than bigger bands. Bands though, are constantly adjusting their "normalcy" for the success of their programs though, it should work out.

There are several schools (Eisenhower and I think that district) that have completely shelved all summer contact for all programs, including football.  Eisenhower, if I'm reading their orientation PowerPoint correctly, was planning on band camp,  7 competitions including Youth in Music Nationals in Minneapolis.

Now, it looks like they're starting (tentatively) August 18th, 3 night rehearsals/week for 4 weeks in a row, competing at Stagg 9/12 and Grayslake North 9/13, and then playing it by ear the rest of the year.

Naperville Central has scrapped their planned show "Fountain of Youth", replacing that with a backup production, that they will be able to mold and consolidate into 3-5 minutes, are dropping from the Cedar Falls, Iowa regional and are still planning on hosting their competition, and competing at Lake Park, Prospect, and ISU.

On 6/11/2020 at 12:46 PM, Dan Balash said:

There are several schools (Eisenhower and I think that district) that have completely shelved all summer contact for all programs, including football.  Eisenhower, if I'm reading their orientation PowerPoint correctly, was planning on band camp,  7 competitions including Youth in Music Nationals in Minneapolis.

Now, it looks like they're starting (tentatively) August 18th, 3 night rehearsals/week for 4 weeks in a row, competing at Stagg 9/12 and Grayslake North 9/13, and then playing it by ear the rest of the year.

Naperville Central has scrapped their planned show "Fountain of Youth", replacing that with a backup production, that they will be able to mold and consolidate into 3-5 minutes, are dropping from the Cedar Falls, Iowa regional and are still planning on hosting their competition, and competing at Lake Park, Prospect, and ISU.

Thanks for the updates.  Obviously you have access to information others may not have. Most of my information comes from my band kids who keep in touch with band kids from other schools they have met at competitions.

Hopefully you will keep us informed on this forum - your participation here will definitely encourage others to join/post on these forums.

On 6/12/2020 at 8:05 PM, Notinband said:

Thanks for the updates.  Obviously you have access to information others may not have. Most of my information comes from my band kids who keep in touch with band kids from other schools they have met at competitions.

Hopefully you will keep us informed on this forum - your participation here will definitely encourage others to join/post on these forums.

I'm going to try to be around more often.  It has been a hectic few years.  I had a ton of time last week with working from home and a ton of downtime because work has been slow.  I had fun digging around for new directors, shows, calendars, and the like.  

I'm really interested to see what the season is going to look like.  BOA has said they're planning on as normal as a season as possible.  What's that going to look like?  Is the audience going to be limited to fans of each band on the field, then they have to leave?  Live streaming?  

I'm really interested to see what bands are signed up for BOA events still and what bands are signed up for Illinois shows, especially the first couple of weeks.

I've heard from my younger friends that Collinsville started this past Monday with each section rehearsing once a week, with 3ish sections a day, and with their usual parades being cancelled, I assume are working on show music. 

On 6/16/2020 at 9:12 PM, FLMarching22 said:

Do any other bands start practice yet??

Lake Park looks like they've cancelled all rehearsals until mid-August.  No band camp?  

Lockport is down until at least June 30th.

Prospect is in "virtual band camp" right now.  Morton starts July 6th it looks like.

Illinois High School Association released the draft for their phase two of "Return to Play" and it should line up with the Phase 4 of Restore Illinois

- Group sizes should be limited to 50 total participants, coaches, and referees (excludes spectators). Any additional team members can sit on the sidelines six feet apart from one another.

‒ During the use of summer contact days, multiple groups of 50 or fewer participants are permitted in a facility at once as long as: facilities allow for social distancing of students, coaches, and spectators; 30 feet of distancing is maintained between groups/opposing teams on the sidelines; and areas for each group are clearly marked to discourage interaction between groups outside of competitive game play.

‒ Schools must have information posted at entrances and around facilities explaining the transmission as well as symptoms of COVID-19, encouraging all visitors to maintain social distance, and reminding people to stay home if they feel sick or have any of the symptoms of COVID-19: temperature >100.4F/37C, fevers, chills, cough, muscle aches, headache, sore throat, runny nose, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of taste or smell.

‒ If schools choose to permit spectators, there should be a designated area for spectators with existing seating capped at 20% of capacity.

‒ Visual markers shall be displayed at queue points — check-ins, along sidelines, concessions, bleachers, etc. — to help people maintain social distance.

‒ Concession stands may open in line with restaurant businesses physical workspace guidelines.

‒ Spectators are encouraged to bring their own chairs from home for outdoor activities.

‒ No handshakes, high fives, fist bumps, hugs, etc., can occur pre- or post-match.

‒ Players are not allowed to spit or blow their noses without the use of a tissue.

‒ Coaches/participants/volunteers may choose to wear a mask.

‒ Officials may choose to wear a mask and use an electronic whistle (no blow horns).

11 hours ago, Dan Balash said:

Lake Park looks like they've cancelled all rehearsals until mid-August.  No band camp?  

Lockport is down until at least June 30th.

Prospect is in "virtual band camp" right now.  Morton starts July 6th it looks like.

Wow! I really wanna know how this is effecting shows this year? and If this is effecting band enrollment?

With no Fourth of July parades..I would think you go right to show music. 

3 hours ago, Dan Balash said:

Virginia has just cancelled their marching band championships for 2020.  It won't be the last ones cancelled either, I don't think.

Dan, Thanks so much for sharing. I wonder if local competitions will follow by cancelling since there state championship did. I would also be interested if bands in the state would just go to other states. 

Its going to be a very  interesting year.... 

Good news: Illinois announced the return of students to classrooms for Fall 2020! Here is what the ISBE says about band/music:

There is documented evidence of substantial spreading of the coronavirus during musical events caused by the possibility of droplet and fomite (objects or materials likely to carry infections) transmission. Indoor rehearsals are discouraged. Consider moving music and band-related courses outside. It is recommended that music and band classes be organized into smaller classes, minimizing the number of students for sectional or group rehearsal to provide for social distancing. Where possible, use separate partitions in open spaces; utilize markings on classroom floor/wall/practice field. Students should wear face coverings while singing and avoid touching, choreography, and singing/playing in circles. Students should sanitize hands prior to handling instruments. Instruments should not be shared at any time. Sanitize hands after using instruments. It is permissible for band members to remove their masks during the time they are 38 playing, but only if necessary. Students should provide their own equipment for class; sharing of equipment between students should be prohibited. Long-term rentals are permitted; however, instruments should be properly cleaned and sanitized between rentals. Students should disinfect musical instruments between classes, if possible. Instruments should be cleaned using approved disinfectant and recommended cleaning guidelines (National Federation of State High School Associations, National Association of Music Merchants, National Association for Music Education instrument cleaning). Special care shall be taken with instrument mouthpieces; it is recommended that reed players use plastic instead of cane reeds. Conductors should face students from more than 10 feet away from the first row of singers/band members. Where possible, conductors are encouraged to wear glasses/goggles or install a plexiglass shield. Consider blended/flipped classrooms, as well as individualized self-management programs, to reduce the risk of exposure and allow for personal choice/director choice with recording or practice performance. Provide virtual learning opportunities or record class rehearsals and share recordings with students who are unable to attend school in-person.

5 hours ago, Dan Balash said:
Good news: Illinois announced the return of students to classrooms for Fall 2020! Here is what the ISBE says about band/music:

Very Interesting! Still trying to figure out how the bigger Marching bands across our state and others are going to navigate tall of these guidelines. 

54 minutes ago, FLMarching22 said:

Very Interesting! Still trying to figure out how the bigger Marching bands across our state and others are going to navigate tall of these guidelines. 

Look at it like this...IHSA guidlines say phase 2 of "Return to Play," which I know some western Illinois bands are going by, that groups of 50 are allowed and multiple groups of 50 in one area as long as 30 ft of social distancing can be maintained between groups of 50. This would allow for most bands to still have all participants practice music on the field. And also would allow for safer competition audience layout as far as i am concerned.

Official statement from Music for All today (06/24):

An update from Music for All on the 2020 Bands of America season: Surveying participating directors and consulting with the BOA Advisory Committee, we continue the planning for our 2020 Bands of America Championships.

To help with bands’ planning and show preparations, Bands of America’s minimum performance time will be reduced from six (6) to five (5) minutes for 2020. Bands will be permitted a performance time from 5 to 11 minutes for the 2020 Bands of America Championship season. BOA reserves the right to any further considerations if conditions warrant.

We will continue to address appropriate modifications to operations in terms of safety guidelines for participants and spectators.

marching.musicforall.org