Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
anon

What do you think

about some of the shows done by the chicagoland hs bands. I've seen some, namely Prospect, Lake Park, and two Lincoln Way schools when I was at my sons competition at Lake Park. I particularly liked Prospect's visuals and theit music, it all looked so hard. I also really liked Lake Parks music. Maybe you could take a second and tell me what you think about some of the shows and bands as I'm a 'freshman' of this whole sport.

Thanks.

Well - you had every right to love Prospect's show. They are playing great music, have an awesome drill, and are just a superb group. I haven't seen a band attempt On the Waterfront since United Township in 1998, and that was the year their symphonic band was preparing for their performacne at the Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic. Prospect, I would venture to say, has one of the top drumlines in the country as well. They are just dynamite!

yeah. lake park and prospect and like.. marian catholic, never ceases to amaze me. theyre soooo good. but lake park & prospect shows always bore me though. like the music and the theme and all... ive never paid attention to their whole show. they deserve all those high scores and 1st place finishes but if their show was more interesting, id totally watch.... but you know what? i think every show bores me. if it's upbeat and "fun" ill love it. i usually end up watching just the flags and trying to guess who's a rookie and who's a veteran and all that. lol. juuust my opinion

Welcome to the world of High School Marching Band! I've been sitting in the stands for 3 years now....what a ride! I really enjoyed LWE's show FIVE! this year.

As for a band to watch ....to see how it's done...Marian Catholic. I always tell my son...regardless of the visuals of their shows, props etc.....watch those kids march...watch their feet and cadence... it's perfect.

As for a band to watch ....to see how it's done...Marian Catholic. I always tell my son...regardless of the visuals of their shows, props etc.....watch those kids march...watch their feet and cadence... it's perfect.

I have a great amount of respect for the Marian Catholic program, but I would have to differ on one thing you mention here.

Perfect feet? One of Marians biggest issues is their feet. Now if you are talking individual technique, yes they are great, but as an ensemble they almost always have issues with phasing and feet out of time. Even at Grand Nationals.

Not being mean, just saying.

I'm going to have to agree...After seeing Marian from ground level, their weakest aspect is their feet. While they execute their drill to perfection and play with the sound of a concert ensemble, they fall VERY short with actual marching. Of the programs that lost to them at ISU, I would say that LWE, LP, and LWC all march cleaner feet than Marian...this is not to discredit them in any way. If you want perfection in basics, watch LP from several years ago.

In fact, a friend of a friend and Marian alumni said that was the problem they always faught with. The feet and timing.