3A

1. Marian Catholic (Music, GE, Visual)

2. Galesburg

3. Bloomington (Crowd)

4A

1. John Hersey (Music, GE, Visual)

2. Romeoville (Crowd)

3. Rock Island

Finalists: IVC, Morton, Marian Catholic, John Hersey, Galesburg, Bloomington, Romeoville

5A

1. Prospect (Music, GE, Visual)

2. VJA

3. Edwardsville

Plainfield North (Crowd)

6A

1. Lockport (Crowd, GE)

2. Lincoln-Way (Music, Visual)

3. DGS

Finalists: Prospect, Lockport,  Lincoln-Way, HD Jacobs, Edwardsville, Plainfield North, VJA

Finals Performance Order:

7:30 IVC

7:44 Bloomington

7:58 Galesburg

8:12 Morton

8:26 Edwardsville

8:40 HD Jacobs

8:54 Plainfield North

BREAK

9:22 Lockport

9:36 Romeoville

9:50 John Hersey

10:04 Lincoln-Way

10:18 Marian Catholic

10:32 Prospect

10:46 VJA

2 hours ago, Band Alum said:

Very interested in seeing the scores. Something isn’t adding up. (Regarding the bands that made finals)

The only one I am a bit surprised about is Edwardsville. Otherwise I think the panel got it right in 5A/6A. 

12 minutes ago, saxyman said:

If I'm being honest, I didn't expect HD Jacobs, but I didn't get a chance to watch their prelim performance. After seeing the finals performance, however, they were quite clean and deserved to be there.

I agree with this. Pretty interesting show too! 

33 minutes ago, johnlivingston said:

The only one I am a bit surprised about is Edwardsville. Otherwise I think the panel got it right in 5A/6A. 

I think Edwardsville did well. I was more surprised about HD Jacobs, after their finals performance I understood. :D I’m happy they made finals for the first time! 

38 minutes ago, TheSpeakerofTruth said:

I am not sure who invited all the cows from Lincoln Way, but their bells were really ringing over their band. It was definitely obnoxious.

Let’s get real.. LW isn’t accustomed to tons of success outside of the state. They had a very good performance tonight. IL ST is their Super Bowl. 

I still think it’s ethically wrong for a public school district to field a band comprised of 3 high schools and compete against single high schools. 

I'm not surprised by the bands in finals or placements just maybe the margins. Will have to wait to see the scoring. Just a tad surprised Marian is in third, but they weren't preparing to peak here and have not so in past years either. Was great to see all the 5A bands in finals for once. As I said before congrats to all , onto the next competition and If your band is done for the season well done for the year 

To be honest, there were a lot of surprises in prelims. Like Downers Grove south got 15th out of 5A/6A in music individual, and what was Huntley's penalty? I don't agree with Plainfield North's visual scores. And how in the hell did Warren come up 7th? I know they've beaten some of those bands like Lake Park and Downers Grove South in the past.

3 hours ago, briar62 said:

I'm not surprised by the bands in finals or placements just maybe the margins. Will have to wait to see the scoring. Just a tad surprised Marian is in third, but they weren't preparing to peak here and have not so in past years either. Was great to see all the 5A bands in finals for once. As I said before congrats to all , onto the next competition and If your band is done for the season well done for the year 

LW was solid. The uniforms got old after a while (one viewing) & the concept is a little blah, but it was a well performed program that should give them the confidence perhaps next year to try to compete at the highest competitive level (BOA Nats). Drawing from so many public high schools, they should have little issue fielding a highly competitive band at that level, especially if they pool resources to hire good outside staff to create the programs.

Congrats to Lockport. Always a well playing band and deserving of a top finish. Don’t think they’ll do as well next week relative to the competition, but a nicely deserved high placement.

Marian is improving. The most intricate music book. Earlier movements in their program are cleaner, easier to digest than only a week ago. Really loved the build in their second to last movement. They exhibit so much ensemble control. I suppose I am having some issues understanding their program - I get that it involves some kind of a snake or symbolism, but haven’t been able to connect the dots myself.  

Prospect and VJA nice programs. Very solid. Should be proud of what they do year in and out. 

10 hours ago, johnlivingston said:

I still think it’s ethically wrong for a public school district to field a band comprised of 3 high schools and compete against single high schools. 

So you would rather their be 2-3 LW bands finishing in the top ten every year.

And honestly, the ROI from a competitive standpoint is minimal.  Lincoln-Way East has spent its entirely history near the top of ISU.  So unless you're from Marian Catholic, Lake Park, or Prospect, who really have all the resources to compete with LW anyway, there's really no room to complain.  Two or three finalist bands wouldn't have been in if LW were 3 or 4 bands.  

The fact is, it's financially irresponsible for a district to field 3-4 marching bands if they can't afford it.

6 hours ago, johnlivingston said:

LW was solid. The uniforms got old after a while (one viewing) & the concept is a little blah, but it was a well performed program that should give them the confidence perhaps next year to try to compete at the highest competitive level (BOA Nats). Drawing from so many public high schools, they should have little issue fielding a highly competitive band at that level, especially if they pool resources to hire good outside staff to create the programs.

Congrats to Lockport. Always a well playing band and deserving of a top finish. Don’t think they’ll do as well next week relative to the competition, but a nicely deserved high placement.

Marian is improving. The most intricate music book. Earlier movements in their program are cleaner, easier to digest than only a week ago. Really loved the build in their second to last movement. They exhibit so much ensemble control. I suppose I am having some issues understanding their program - I get that it involves some kind of a snake or symbolism, but haven’t been able to connect the dots myself.  

Prospect and VJA nice programs. Very solid. Should be proud of what they do year in and out. 

A week ago I commented that Lockport Township needed to work on their second half of their show.  The difference in their performances from the Lincoln-Way Invitational to ISU was amazing.

I thought Marian Catholic also showed a lot of improvement in one week.  And I am really surprised in the margin between Marian Catholic and Lincoln-Way/Lockport Township in both preliminaries and finals.

Prospect always looks good.  I do not ever remember them being anything but excellent.

VJA  really stepped up this year.

Every one of these finalist band Fromm Lincoln-Way through IVC represents Illinois Marching Band with the utmost talent and professionalism. All 14 finalist are elite and exception in many of the same but also in different ways. Congratulations to the top three of course but also the bottom three and everyone in between on an excellent performance in Finals!

17 hours ago, Marchingmaniac88 said:

Every one of these finalist band Fromm Lincoln-Way through IVC represents Illinois Marching Band with the utmost talent and professionalism. All 14 finalist are elite and exception in many of the same but also in different ways. Congratulations to the top three of course but also the bottom three and everyone in between on an excellent performance in Finals!

Agreed.  But on a broader perspective, the overall quality of Illinois Marching Band programs has been improving over the past several years.  There was a noticeable overall step improvement this year.

45 minutes ago, Notinband said:

Agreed.  But on a broader prospective, the overall quality of Illinois Marching Band programs has been improving over the past several years.  There was a noticeable overall step improvement this year.

Very much so, there was a time when Illinois used to be the premier spot for High School Marching Bands.  Then we went through some ups and downs. I think we're on the upswing now. I've always wondered if we need some kind of system like they have in other states that looks something like a playoff system, as in KY, IN & TX and a few others