Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
BandFreak27

Lincoln way invitational results

I’m also surprised Lincoln-Way published their score...

Anyway, I drove down to watch this competition.  I had seen Lockport Township at Lake Park, Marian Catholic at Naperville Central, and I wanted to see Lincoln-Way.

I was most impressed with Lockport Township. I thought they were the best band musically, with two movements by the woodwinds that really stand out.  Lincoln-Way may end up the best visually due to their unique show, but Marian Catholic is very clean. Lockport Township could be right with them with a little work on the second half of their show.

Lockport Township has the most energetic  show, and with a little work on their dynamics during their arrivals, they could compete with Marian Catholic on General Effect.  I feel the same way about Lincoln-Way.

ISU will be vey exciting...

5 hours ago, Notinband said:

I’m also surprised Lincoln-Way published their score...

Anyway, I drove down to watch this competition.  I had seen Lockport Township at Lake Park, Marian Catholic at Naperville Central, and I wanted to see Lincoln-Way.

I was most impressed with Lockport Township. I thought they were the best band musically, with two movements by the woodwinds that really stand out.  Lincoln-Way may end up the best visually due to their unique show, but Marian Catholic is very clean. Lockport Township could be right with them with a little work on the second half of their show.

Lockport Township has the most energetic  show, and with a little work on their dynamics during their arrivals, they could compete with Marian Catholic on General Effect.  I feel the same way about Lincoln-Way.

ISU will be vey exciting...

I did not find Marian Catholic to be very clean. Their musical demand is right up there with the very top BOA bands this year, but the achievement level has not been reached yet. Maybe it was the weather conditions, but this weekend’s performance was a struggle to listen to.

Greg Bimm is not messing around though. It’s a beast of a show. 

I’d go with Lincoln-Way as the likely champ, by default. Then, Marian over LW at BOA Indy Super Regionals.

I probably should not have used the word “clean” in regards to visual performance.  Marian Catholic’s execution was was the best.

Marian Catholic probably has more to reveal at ISU. I think they will win at ISU.

Living in KY and having to watch the performances , so far, online, I would say a lot of it was the weather. Online none of the bands really sounded that good to me. I guess it was the wind, I know that that's also amplified when your listening to recordings. I can only imagine how that affected how it was in person.  Marian, Lockport and Lincoln way will be a tossup for sure. Bimm  usually shoots for Marian to peak after ISU depending on how close BOA Nationals are.

6 hours ago, johnlivingston said:

I’d go with Lincoln-Way as the likely champ, by default. Then, Marian over LW at BOA Indy Super Regionals.

What exactly does that mean, by default?

1 hour ago, briar62 said:

Living in KY and having to watch the performances , so far, online, I would say a lot of it was the weather. Online none of the bands really sounded that good to me. I guess it was the wind, I know that that's also amplified when your listening to recordings. I can only imagine how that affected how it was in person.  Marian, Lockport and Lincoln way will be a tossup for sure. Bimm  usually shoots for Marian to peak after ISU depending on how close BOA Nationals are.

I could not agree with you more! listening to the videos online...I was like ya this does not sound like the bands and how they have been playing. I think the wind played a big role in music and sure it sounded way different in person. 

I was there for the whole thing and yes the temperature and wind played a huge factor.  That field was surrounded by corn fields so the wind was hollowing through there.  I have seen these bands at other competitions and they sounded a lot better.

4 hours ago, Greyhound said:

What exactly does that mean, by default?

I think that they are performing at a high enough level and are more advanced in their season so should be expected to outscore a band that does not end their season for another couple of weeks and gears their peak toward the middle of November. ISU is not the culmination of the season -- bigger events lie ahead.

If Marian Catholic adds a closer, then I suppose it could make sense that they win. They have won ISU with incomplete shows in the past....but if I were betting LW wins by default.

Marian will be better than LW at BOA Indy Regionals. I just don't think they are better right now.

27 minutes ago, johnlivingston said:

I think that they are performing at a high enough level and are more advanced in their season so should be expected to outscore a band that does not end their season for another couple of weeks and gears their peak toward the middle of November. ISU is not the culmination of the season -- bigger events lie ahead.

If Marian Catholic adds a closer, then I suppose it could make sense that they win. They have won ISU with incomplete shows in the past....but if I were betting LW wins by default.

Marian will be better than LW at BOA Indy Regionals. I just don't think they are better right now.

Not sure how you can say that?  They consistently finished ahead of Marian in all comps last year including St. Louis super

4 hours ago, illiniband68 said:

Not sure how you can say that?  They consistently finished ahead of Marian in all comps last year including St. Louis super

Ok, here's how I can say it. HISTORY. Not a blip on the radar, which could have been 2018. Too early to say if it's a trend.

First, let's look at last weekend's recaps. Marian is ahead, per this panel. Second, I think LW can hang on to win ISU primarily because they are gearing up for the end --- the peak --- of their season only one week later. Marian Catholic still has a month to go. If Marian is outpacing Lincoln-Way now, maybe I am being much too generous in thinking that LW will win at all?

I believe that Marian has outscored or outpaced Lincoln-Way at any post-ISU event (and many ISU events) since the early/mid 80s. There hasn't been one year where Marian has been bested by LW or any type of LW spin-off (West, East, Central, North) after November 1. In 1999, when LW WON ISU, they were bested by both Lake Park and Marian I believe one week later in Indianapolis. Although I believe that they would have made BOA Grand National Finals in 1999, Lincoln-Way programs of the past have not shown the ability to rise above the mid-to-upper teens (or lower) in semifinals scoring that Lake Park had done for so many years and Marian has forever -- even after their very narrow miss in 2018.

History just shows that either LW stops competing in shows after ISU or  has not historically fared as well deep into the marching band competitive season (November). Because of this, in my opinion, they would tackle a less competitive contest in Minneapolis, Minnesota called Youth In Music to end on a high note. Lake Park is now not as much of a contender & LW is now a three school megaband, so things can change...but Marian has the track record to grow and generally overcome. They still have plenty of work to do. It isn't by any means a foregone conclusion that they max out their show. May run out of time.

LW or LW-related bands have won a few state titles over the past 30+years. For a long time, they were behind Lake Park and Marian. Occasionally, there were very competitive ISU Finals between Lake Park and LW. Sometimes, Marian would come in 3rd.. and then beat both bands later in the year. 

There is a difference in expectations for bands depending on their own schedules. Marian Catholic will be much better in another month. Lincoln-Way could be better.. but they don't have the level of cleaning, etc. that Marian has to do. The show probably has a good 5-6 points left in it to max. Marian could go 10-11 (high end). They could also flop, although I don't see their director allowing that to happen. 

But after seeing the two shows last weekend.... Marian has the better chance to outplace.. as time moves on. I PICK LINCOLN WAY to WIN ISU, but not grow enough further to outpace Marian's projected growth - based on this show, this season.

Happens just about every year. Why stop now?

8 minutes ago, briar62 said:

Is Marian's show not done, I've been wondering since I saw the LW vids

The video I saw clocked it at about 8 mins or so. I think their shows generally go 10-11...I am not familiar with their plans or whether there's another piece, but can't imagine that there isn't a closer added at some point.

IMO, of the Top 3 at LW (Lockport, LW, Marian), Marian is struggling the most with their show. Granted, it's a massive undertaking (musically for sure). If I am a director, I try to improve upon the first 70-80% of the overall program -- and then add a closer. Maybe they'll add a tag.. but I think it's more likely that it's incomplete, which gives the edge to LW. 

Lockport is a darkhorse, but I just don't see them outplacing both Marian AND LW.

6 hours ago, johnlivingston said:

History just shows that either LW stops competing in shows after ISU or  has not historically fared as well deep into the marching band competitive season (November). Because of this, in my opinion, they would tackle a less competitive contest in Minneapolis, Minnesota called Youth In Music to end on a high note. Lake Park is now not as much of a contender & LW is now a three school megaband, so things can change...but Marian has the track record to grow and generally overcome. They still have plenty of work to do. It isn't by any means a foregone conclusion that they max out their show. May run out of time.

History is just that...history.  Means nothing now or in the future.  Just saying

1 hour ago, illiniband68 said:

History is just that...history.  Means nothing now or in the future.  Just saying

True.. which is why last year’s results don’t have any true bearing on this year. All pre-Nov 1. 

If money is on the line, my bet will be on Marian over LW when all is said and done. Historical context matters. 

11 hours ago, illiniband68 said:

2 hours ago, illiniband68 said:

Well, history means something and it means nothing all at the same time. I think we can all concur that last year was anything but typical for Marian. They are attempting a monster of a show this year which was barely halfway finished at the Iowa regional. Considering they had a full point on both LW and Lockport, add a closer and a week of cleaning to what they had at Lincolnway and I think it will make them hard to beat at ISU. Looking forward to what Saturday has in store.

Glad to see all this discussion on this topic...always like to see participation and feedback on these forums.

While I was most impressed by Lockport Township's program, I do not expect them to win ISU.

I also think Marian Catholic has more to reveal.  For instance, they had one prop on the field at Lincoln-Way, which they promptly move to the back of the field one minute into their performance to never be seen again.  There is more to come...

I think Marian Catholic, Lincoln-Way, and Lockport Township will be the top three at ISU.  I agree with others; Lockport Township has to overcome both Marian Catholic and Lincoln-Way, and they probably do not have enough time to perfect their performance for ISU. 

My picks for ISU:

1. Marian Catholic

2. Lincoln-Way

3. Lockport Township

It is unfortunate O'Fallon Township will not be there.

1 hour ago, Notinband said:

Glad to see all this discussion on this topic...always like to see participation and feedback on these forums.

While I was most impressed by Lockport Township's program, I do not expect them to win ISU.

I also think Marian Catholic has more to reveal.  For instance, they had one prop on the field at Lincoln-Way, which they promptly move to the back of the field one minute into their performance to never be seen again.  There is more to come...

I think Marian Catholic, Lincoln-Way, and Lockport Township will be the top three at ISU.  I agree with others; Lockport Township has to overcome both Marian Catholic and Lincoln-Way, and they probably do not have enough time to perfect their performance for ISU. 

My picks for ISU:

1. Marian Catholic

2. Lincoln-Way

3. Lockport Township

I could not agree more! Its great to see all this fun discussion. 

When it comes to Props... On the other side LW did not put there Props up during the show...I would say because of wind. I will have to say aftering seeing there show the week before at BOA and this weekend its a much different show when the props are up and moving with people on it and such. 

For Marian, I am sure they have much more to build on to that show and its one beast of a show! Exciting to see them get there groove back after last season. 

Its going to my close like in '07  maybe by 0.8

My picks for ISU:

1. Lincoln-Way

2. Marian Catholic

3. Lockport Township

I just went back and watched Marian's performance of 9/21 at Naperville Central. They've already made adjustments and changes in the show in that short time. If you watch the marching from that performance the one at Lincoln Way was much cleaner. I'm excited to see what they come up with between now and Nationals. I know housing is an issue at Nats but it's kind of a shame only 3, I think,  IL bands are going to be there that weekend with us being so close to IN

BTW Marians performance time starts at 4:29 on the feed