8. Romeoville
  9. Morton
  10. Galesburg
  11. John Hersey
  12. Plainfield North
  13. Bloomington
  14. Illinois Valley Central

7 minutes ago, BandFreak27 said:

how do they decide who goes to finals? I know it is who is in first place but what about the other bands in finals that did not get first?

7 Finalists from 1-4A (Class champions + the next 3 highest scores regardless of class)

7 Finalists from 5A-6A (Class champions + next 5 highest scores regardless of class)

At least this is how it's been done in recent history.

I'm going with my gut on this one. (makes finals)

2A: (Morton), Providence Valley, Lasalle-Peru

1A: (IVC), University, Eureka

4A: (Romeoville), (John Hersey), (Batavia)

3A: (Marian Catholic), (Galesburg), Limestone

6A: (Lincoln-Way), (Lockport), (Warren), (Downers Grove South), (Joliet West)

5A: (Prospect), (Plainfield North), Viccy J

Finals:

1. Lincoln-Way

2. Marian Catholic

3. Warren Township

4. Lockport Township

5. Prospect

6. John Hersey

7. Romeoville

8. Morton

9. Downers Grove South

10. Plainfield North

11. Galesburg

12. Joliet West

13. Batavia

14. IVC

First! Best of luck to all of the bands this weekend!! Its going to be prefect weather and great showcase!! 

Here are my predictions. 

2A: Morton

1A: IVC

4A: Romeoville

3A: Marian Catholic

6A: Lincoln-Way

5A: Prospect

Finals:

1. Lincoln-Way

2. Marian Catholic

3. Lockport Township

I think top 3 are going to be a close one!!! But LW with so much GE in the show and cleaning up the music they will pull it out for a Back to Back Win

4. Warren Township

5. Prospect 

6. John Hersey

7. Morton

8. Downers Grove South

9. Romeoville

10. Plainfield North

11. Galesburg

12. Joliet West

13. Batavia

14. IVC

^The only group that could upset Lincoln-Way is Marian Catholic. Maybe Lockport, they've adjustments to make. Warren doesn't rehearse enough. Prospect's show is clean, but not as interesting/difficult

Another bit of commentary is that I'm surprised and proud to think about how much growth has gone on these last few years that groups like Downers Grove South have gotten so much better and with Lincoln-way joining forces. And then you think of the fact that last time Warren went to ISU they got dead last in their division, and now some are predicting they get 3rd or 4th overall. I love how this show gets more and more competitive every year, and that's without O'fallon

My opinion...

2A

1. Morton (Undefeated in class since 2005, I don't see that changing. Not my favorite show, but quite well done.)

2. Providence Catholic (Solid program, having a good year.)

3. Canton (Curious to see margin to Top 2, Providence especially)

4. Metamora

5. LaSalle-Peru

1A

1. Illinois Valley Central

2. Eureka

3. University

4. Paris

5. Macomb

6. Olympia

4A

1. Romeoville

2. John Hersey

3. Rock Island

4. Batavia

5. Alan B. Shepard

6. Argo

7. Elk Grove

8. Pekin

3A

1. Marian Catholic

2. Galesburg

3. Limestone Community

4. Bloomington

5. Lemont

6. Dunlap

7. Antioch

6A

1. Lincoln-Way

2. Lockport Township

3. Downers Grove South

4. Warren Township

5. Lake Park

6. Normal

7. Minooka

8. Huntley

9. Joliet West

10. Glenbrook South

5A

1. Prospect

2. Victor J. Andrew

3. Edwardsville

4. Plainfield North

5. H.D Jacobs

I'll leave Finals to the more knowledgable people on here.

My picks:

1. Marian Catholic

2. Lincoln-Way

3. Lockport Township

4. Prospect

5. Morton

6. Downers Grove South

7. Victor J. Andrew

8. John Hersey

9. Romeoville

10. Galesburg

11. Plainfield North

12. Bloomington

13. Joliet West

14. Eureka

It is unfortunate that O'Fallon is not attending.  One band I am cheering for (and have no affiliation with the school), is Providence Catholic.  They have finished first in their class at every competition they have performed at this year. But there is just not enough slots to get them into Finals.

I agree with Notinband. I have no affiliation with Providence either but I did see them a few times.  They only have like 40 or so members in their band but they are killing it for that small of a size. I come from a small school too so I am rooting for them to represent us smaller bands.

8 hours ago, JT2002 said:

^^I agree Marian Catholic has a legitimate chance of winning it all this year, but I just don't see how Warren isn't even the top 5.

I do not know a lot about Warren Township.  They do not participate at the competitions I normally attend.  

8 hours ago, Greyhound said:

Unfortunately, I missed Providence at Lincolnway. I was really looking forward to seeing their show. I hope to see them make finals at ISU. I wonder if they have a shot at the title against Morton...

I doubt they will beat Morton but it would be nice if they made it.   I always thought the way the classes are split for the bands for state (i.e school size instead of band size) was not really fair.  Having a 40 piece band go against a 140 piece band is really lopsided.   We always had knew going into the state that there was 0% chance of making finals no matter how well we performed our show so for someone like Providence to sneak into finals would be like Hoosiers (my favorite sports movie by the way).

I’d say the two most interesting match ups in Prelims are;

Lincoln-Way and Lockport, both bands are very good and I expect both to play and match their tails off. I still expect Lincoln-Way to win that class but this is the more balanced and closer of the two match-ups I’m talking about.

The second is Marian Catholic and Galesburg. The overall consensus that I’ve seen is Galesburg gets second to Marian Catholic but you can help to look at how clean Galesburg was according to the scores visually at Normal. Again Marian will likely win but, by how much?

30 minutes ago, Marchingmaniac88 said:

I’d say the two most interesting match ups in Prelims are;

Lincoln-Way and Lockport, both bands are very good and I expect both to play and match their tails off. I still expect Lincoln-Way to win that class but this is the more balanced and closer of the two match-ups I’m talking about.

The second is Marian Catholic and Galesburg. The overall consensus that I’ve seen is Galesburg gets second to Marian Catholic but you can help to look at how clean Galesburg was according to the scores visually at Normal. Again Marian will likely win but, by how much?

Lincoln-Way's show is not groundbreaking concept-wise, BUT it is fairly easy to digest and is being performed at a high enough level - one that I don't think structurally that Lockport can top unless there is a disaster . Lockport is a marginally better band musically though.  I agree that it's a good matchup and look forward to see what happens. 

Marian Catholic has not broken 80 yet this year. I think that's more of the storyline than anything else. Will they vault from the upper 70s into the 83-85 range or hover closer to a marginal improvement on sheets (79-81.5)? Has nothing to do with ISU or individual in-state matchups. While they jumped 3 points between competitions (2 weeks), what would be more alarming is if they aren't outpacing the competition in Classes 1A-4A by 4+ points on BOA sheets. If they are truly on a BOA National Finals trajectory, I think there has to be a sizable gap, even this early in their season. If I am them and interested in scores, I want to be in the mid-80s, and perhaps a bit higher next week at BOA Indy Super Regs. 

1 hour ago, johnlivingston said:

Marian Catholic has not broken 80 yet this year. I think that's more of the storyline than anything else. Will they vault from the upper 70s into the 83-85 range or hover closer to a marginal improvement on sheets (79-81.5)? Has nothing to do with ISU or individual in-state matchups. While they jumped 3 points between competitions (2 weeks), what would be more alarming is if they aren't outpacing the competition in Classes 1A-4A by 4+ points on BOA sheets. If they are truly on a BOA National Finals trajectory, I think there has to be a sizable gap, even this early in their season. If I am them and interested in scores, I want to be in the mid-80s, and perhaps a bit higher next week at BOA Indy Super Regs. 

Again, I say to keep in mind that Marian has performed their show devoid of a closer. They were missing one entire movement at Lincolnway completely. I cannot wait to see what they have been able to add in just one week. 

Good luck to all bands this Saturday! Should be a really fun competition to watch!

My heart says Marian by a hair but my head say's LincolnWay by a hair. I'm not from Marian but from Newton. They have a special place in my heart since Mr Bimm always wrote our drills, even way back when, and I'm 57. Regardless of who comes out on top I hope everyone just performs to the best of their ability. That's all we can ask. Good Luck to all. 

Here are my predictions, the finalists in parentheses are the other bands that will be either in or next in line for finals.

1A
U-High
Eureka
IVC

2A
Morton
Providence
LaSalle-Peru

3A
Marian Catholic
Galesburg
Bloomington

4A
Romeoville
John Hersey
Rock Island

Finalists: U-High, Morton, Marian Catholic, Romeoville, John Hersey, Galesburg, Bloomington (Dunlap, Lemont, Limestone, Rock Island)

5A
Prospect
Edwardsville
VJA

6A
Lincoln-Way
Lockport
Normal

Finalists: Prospect, Lincoln-Way, Lockport, Edwardsville, Normal, VJA, Plainfield North (DGS, Minooka, Oswego, Warren)

FINALS
Lincoln-Way
Marian Catholic
Lockport
Prospect
Normal
Edwardsville
VJA
Romeoville
John Hersey
Morton
Plainfield North
Galesburg
Bloomington
U-High

Created new account to respond to this. 

1. Marion Catholic

2. Lincoln-Way

3. Lockport Township

I have seen Marion Catholic's show on multiple occasions.  And I was at Lincoln Way.  It really was a cold day.  I know Lockport did win music, which surprised me, as Marion has almost always been better than Lockport at music.  Marion was leading Lockport by 1 point at Lincoln Way.  And they actually released Lincoln-Way's score, despite being in exhibition.  They were .05 points ahead of Lockport.  I think Marion is going to be the winner.  Followed very closely with a toss-up between Lincoln-Way and Lockport.