Jump to content
Illinois Marching Online
Marchguy

EIU Panther Marching Band Festival - Oct 5

Recommended Posts

I'll refrain from predictions until after we see results form this weekend. I'll just say this is a really exciting line up of groups. EIU has new marching band director this year, for anyone who was curious/didn't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Class Band Depart for Warm-up
1A Blue Ridge HS 8:20 AM
  Oblong HS 8:35 AM
  Okaw Valley 8:50 AM
  Arcola HS 9:05 AM
  Ridgeview CUSD 19 9:20 AM
3A Effingham HS 9:35 AM
  BREAK  
1B Robinson HS 10:05 AM
  Herscher 10:20 AM
  Moroa-Forsythe HS 10:35 AM
  Olympia HS 10:50 AM
  Wesclin HS 11:05 AM
  Watseka Community HS 11:20 AM
  Unity HS 11:35 AM
  BREAK  
2A Paris HS 12:05 PM
  University HS 12:20 PM
  Nashville Community HS 12:35 PM
  Monticello HS 12:50 PM
  Newton Community HS 1:05 PM
  Paxton-Buckley-Loda HS 1:20 PM
  BREAK  
3A Mt. Zion HS 1:50 PM
  Rantoul HS 2:05 PM
  Richland County HS 2:20 PM
Exhibition EIU PMB Performance 2:35 PM
  Awards  
  DINNER BREAK  
     
Class Band Depart for Warm-up
4A MacArthur HS 4:50 PM
  Charleston HS 5:05 PM
  Mattoon HS 5:20 PM
5A Urbana HS 5:35 PM
  Mahomet-Seymour HS 5:50 PM
  Champaign Central HS 6:05 PM
  Washington Community HS 6:20 PM
  BREAK  
6A Belleville East HS 6:50 PM
  Edwardsville HS 7:05 PM
  Normal HS 7:20 PM
  Granite City HS 7:35 PM
Exhibition EIU PMB Performance 7:50 PM
  Awards  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hello! Here are my predictions! Really lots of fun competition here with lots of bands!! 

1A;

Watseka Community HS

2A: 

Newton Community HS

3A:

Effingham HS

4A:

Charleston HS

5A:

Washington Community HS

6A:

Normal HS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2019 at 4:53 PM, briar62 said:
Class Band Depart for Warm-up
1A Blue Ridge HS 8:20 AM
  Oblong HS 8:35 AM
  Okaw Valley 8:50 AM
  Arcola HS 9:05 AM
  Ridgeview CUSD 19 9:20 AM
3A Effingham HS 9:35 AM
  BREAK  
1B Robinson HS 10:05 AM
  Herscher 10:20 AM
  Moroa-Forsythe HS 10:35 AM
  Olympia HS 10:50 AM
  Wesclin HS 11:05 AM
  Watseka Community HS 11:20 AM
  Unity HS 11:35 AM
  BREAK  
2A Paris HS 12:05 PM
  University HS 12:20 PM
  Nashville Community HS 12:35 PM
  Monticello HS 12:50 PM
  Newton Community HS 1:05 PM
  Paxton-Buckley-Loda HS 1:20 PM
  BREAK  
3A Mt. Zion HS 1:50 PM
  Rantoul HS 2:05 PM
  Richland County HS 2:20 PM
Exhibition EIU PMB Performance 2:35 PM
  Awards  
  DINNER BREAK  
     
Class Band Depart for Warm-up
4A MacArthur HS 4:50 PM
  Charleston HS 5:05 PM
  Mattoon HS 5:20 PM
5A Urbana HS 5:35 PM
  Mahomet-Seymour HS 5:50 PM
  Champaign Central HS 6:05 PM
  Washington Community HS 6:20 PM
  BREAK  
6A Belleville East HS 6:50 PM
  Edwardsville HS 7:05 PM
  Normal HS 7:20 PM
  Granite City HS 7:35 PM
Exhibition EIU PMB Performance 7:50 PM
  Awards  

My Predictions

1A: Wateska Community 

2A: Monticello 

3A: Effingham

4A: MacArthur

5A: Washington Community 

6A: Bellville East

Grand Champion: Bellville East though i think Washington could also win.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Band said:

Does anyone know how these classes were broken down?

In the past, they've used a combination of band size and school size, something like

 

1A: School <500, Band <50

2A: School <500, Band >50

3A: School 500-1000, Band <80ish

4A: School 500-1000, Band >80ish

5A: School >1000, Band <100

6A: School >1000, Band >100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figured it was some combination of both, but knowing some of the schools and their band sizes I can't see where the divisions are, especially if 1a and 1b are separate classes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

From EIU's information packet sent to directors:

Classification is based on a hybrid system which varies from year to year depending on the natural breaks that occur when band and school enrollments are listed smallest to largest. IHSA School Sizes are used to divide ensembles into Small (1-650) and Large (651+). Ensembles are then divided by band size. 

SMALL DIVISION

1A: 1-55 in ensemble / 1-300 school enrollment

 

1B: 1-50 in ensemble / 301-551 school enrollment

 

2A: 51+ in ensemble / 400-650 school enrollment

 

3A: 50-80 in ensemble / 651-780 school enrollment

LARGE DIVISION

4A: 50-100 in ensemble / 781-899 school enrollment

 

5A: 100+ in ensemble / 900-1,500 school enrollment

 

6A: 100+ in ensemble / 1,501+ school enrollment

 

Performance order was decided by the date the registration fee was received at EIUl as of Aug.26.  There have been some exceptions made for extenuating circumstances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New schedule posted on festival page for EIU Panther Festival 

Class 1A
9:30 AM: Blue Ridge
9:45 AM: Oblong
10:00 AM: Okaw Valley
10:15 AM: Arcola
10:30 AM: Ridgeview

Class 3A
10:45 AM: Effingham

11:00 AM: Break

Class 1A
11:15 AM: Robinson
11:30 AM: Herscher
11:45 AM: Maroa-Forsyth
12:00 PM: Olympia
12:15 PM: Wesclin
12:30 PM: Watseka Community
12:45 PM: Tolono Unity

1:00 PM: Break

Class 2A
1:15 PM: Paris Cooperative
1:30 PM: University
1:45 PM: Nashville Community
2:00 PM: Monticello
2:15 PM: Newton
2:30 PM: Paxton-Buckley-Loda

2:45 PM: Break

Class 3A
3:00 PM: Mt. Zion
3:15 PM: Rantoul Township
3:30 PM: Richland County

Exb
3:45 PM: EIU Marching Band

4:00 PM: Awards

Class 4A
6:00 PM: MacArthur
6:15 PM: Charleston
6:30 PM: Mattoon

Class 5A
6:45 PM: Urbana
7:00 PM: Mahomet-Seymour
7:15 PM: Champaign Central
7:30 PM: Washington Community

7:45 PM: Break

Class 6A
8:00 PM: Belleville East
8:15 PM: Edwardsville
8:30 PM: Normal
8:45 PM: Granite City

Exb
9:00 PM: EIU Marching Band

9:15 PM: Awards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1A

1. Ridgeview (Music, Visual)

2. Arcola (Perc)

3. Oblong (GE)

Blue Ridge (Aux)

Okaw Valley (DM)

 

1B

1. Herscher (GE, Perc)

2. Robinson (Visual, Aux)

3. Wesclin (Music, DM)

 

2A

1. Monticello (Music, Visual, GE, Perc)

2. Newton (Aux)

3. Paris Cooperative (DM)

 

3A

1. Effingham (Music, Visual, GE, Aux, DM)

2. Mt. Zion (Perc)

3. Richland County

 

Soloist: Paris Cooperative (Flute)

Small School GC: Monticello

 

4A

1. U-High (Music, Visual, GE, Aux, DM)

2. Mattoon (Perc)

3. Charleston

 

5A

1. Mahomet-Seymour (GE, Aux, DM)

2. Washington Community (Music, Visual, Perc)

3. Champaign Central

 

6A

1. Granite City (Visual, DM)

2. Belleville East (Music, GE, Perc, Aux)

3. Edwardsville

 

Soloist: Belleville East

Large School GC: Belleville East?

 

 

Personal side-note: I don't use Facebook, but that stream quality was akin to an overused VHS. Not sure if that's indicative of FB's video hosting or if that was on EIU's end. I would, however, still prefer that over no stream. First world problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, saxyman said:

1A

1. Ridgeview (Music, Visual)

2. Arcola (Perc)

3. Oblong (GE)

Blue Ridge (Aux)

Okaw Valley (DM)

 

1B

1. Herscher (GE, Perc)

2. Robinson (Visual, Aux)

3. Wesclin (Music, DM)

 

2A

1. Monticello (Music, Visual, GE, Perc)

2. Newton (Aux)

3. Paris Cooperative (DM)

 

3A

1. Effingham (Music, Visual, GE, Aux, DM)

2. Mt. Zion (Perc)

3. Richland County

 

Soloist: Paris Cooperative (Flute)

Small School GC: Monticello

 

4A

1. U-High (Music, Visual, GE, Aux, DM)

2. Mattoon (Perc)

3. Charleston

 

5A

1. Mahomet-Seymour (GE, Aux, DM)

2. Washington Community (Music, Visual, Perc)

3. Champaign Central

 

6A

1. Granite City (Visual, DM)

2. Belleville East (Music, GE, Perc, Aux)

3. Edwardsville

 

Soloist: Belleville East

Large School GC: Belleville East?

 

 

Personal side-note: I don't use Facebook, but that stream quality was akin to an overused VHS. Not sure if that's indicative of FB's video hosting or if that was on EIU's end. I would, however, still prefer that over no stream. First world problems.

So have we figured out how Granite City beat Bellville East but Bellville East won Grand Champion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marchingmaniac88 said:

So have we figured out how Granite City beat Bellville East but Bellville East won Grand Champion?

They must include color guard, percussion and maybe drum major in the GC score but not the class score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Marchingmaniac88 said:

So have we figured out how Granite City beat Bellville East but Bellville East won Grand Champion?

I would figure announcer error, but BlueStarsDad may be right too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very well could have been announcer/tabulator error. They messed up on a 2A caption award as well as the tabulation sheets didn’t match up with the judges sheets. This was probably the poorest run EIU competition in my experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interested to see a full recap of the whole day. I believe tabulation was outsourced to the same third party who manages the judges recordings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newton got 2nd in their class and it was announced they won the auxiliary award also. They also won the drum major award that they announced for another school

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tabulation was done by a third party company and the judging panel was in place before the new director was hired. David Boggs ran a great show at McKendree (with smooth logistics and strong judging panels). I fully expect the show to run smoother, have better number management, and no tabulation errors in the future.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×