Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Marchingmaniac88

University of Illinois Marching Band Championship Large School power rankings

Power rankings are going to be my new thing because I beleive it is not really effective to simply make a prediction without backing them up with a seasonal power ranking.

Each School has their big advantages and their big weaknesses. It is important to remember that NO band is ‘better’ than another and each and every program and individual always has personal strengths they express and weaknesses they can improve on.

Lets start with Class 4A; 

This Band is filled with solid programs, excellence, and potential. This will be fun to watch, each band will express talent many bands wouldn’t be able to, so regaurdless of power ranking remember this class is a talented one.

first on my power rank is Galesburg, Galesburg went 10 years with a drought and a program that was really developing per say. Now Galesburg has recently gotten a new director in Andy Empey and the program has skyrocketed to levels I’ve never seen them at. 5th at Morton defeating Eureka which is a solid program and coming within points of defeating Minooka which is also very solid. At Dunlap, the band came 1-2 points from defeating Limestone Community which is in fact one of the most talented programs in the state, and came second overall. Most importantly, the Grand Champion the band pulled off at Metamora, no school marched but this broke standards for this band and they have a lot to take pride in following this victory. I expect them to battle hard for a 2nd place spot and would rule them out of 1st at U of I and I think their minimum is 4th.

Lakes Community, this band of about 65-70 defeated probably 200 strong Washington in Finals at Downers Grove. I expected a lot from them, but I expect even more. The big ‘threats’ in this class being Washington, Grayslake North, and Galesburg will also have to worry about these guys because they are going to be clean cut, calm, cool, collected program at the Championships.

Washington and Grayslake North I expect to be solid. With the top 4 again being Washington, Grayslake North, Galesburg, and Lakes Community, they should place no less than 4th in this class.

Next is 5a

This is where the money is for most predictions.

First in my list is Belleville East, these guys give me chills down my spine, I’m sure some of you can relate. I cannot wait to see these guys because they will be fantastic. They I beleive will win the grand champion award and take 1st in their class. As far as I know they have no real changes in the program except for the show of course. Also they didn’t attend U of I last year.

Second is your reigning champion, Granite City. They always put on quite the crowd please and quite the judge pleaser. Excited to see these guys climb back on their bikes and express their musical talent. I don’t know if they will top the top here but they certainly have the chance and they will be good again.

Collinsville is last here, they’ll be talented I don’t see them roping first but I do see them in the top 3, certainly placing in their class, maybe top 5 on the day.

Now for 6a

surprisingly, I don’t expect all too much here. Nice full sounds but not to the extent of 4a and 5a.

Minooka, I expect to take top spot here, probably being the most bold program here, and successful this season alone. They are good, but again 4a Galesburg got close at Morton and they won’t play on the day, but Minooka will be talented and you won’t regret watching.

I am just going to comment on the rest of the schools for second. ALL schools 4-6a will be good, and hopefully you get the chance to watch because they all have put together programs and exciting shows.

this end the power rankings. Comment your opinions as well.