Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Band

Saturday, October 20th - University of Illinois

Because of how big ISU and U of I's shows are I have a separate thread for ISU already posted. I'll have other shows of the weekend in a separate thread.

University of Illinois

Now in its 48th year, Illinois hosts the “Illinois Marching Band Championships” or IMBC. The 42 performing band slots notoriously fill up extraordinary quickly. Divided into 6 classes based on school size, there is a Class 1A-3A Champion and 4A-6A Champion awarded. The Marching Illini performs before both award ceremonies. U of I features a rotating schedule which is structured so that classes rotated performance order. This year has the classes performing in traditional numerical order.

Class 1A

In this class I predict Tri-Valley as the winner followed by Watseka in second and Blue Ridge in third. Also in this class are ROWVA, Arthur-Loving-Atwood-Hamond, Sullivan, and Hoopston.

Class 2A

I think Monticello wins the class with Newton close behind in second. Pontiac is my pick for third. Paris, Richmond-Burton, Effingham, Prarie Central, and St. Joe, perform in Class 2A as well.

Class 3A

Mahomet wins by a fairly significant margin. I think East Peoria comes in 2nd. University, Highland and Morris are all factors here. Let’s go with Morris in 3rd place- but a tough call. Streator Township and Rochelle Township are also in Class 3A

Small Schools GC: Mahomet and Monticello are both past winners, and are towns fairly close to each other. This will be a fun one to watch.

Class 4A:

Washington Community is my pick for the class winner. Taught to call 2nd and 3rd, but I’ll go with Grayslake North and Lake Community respectively. Keep an eye on Galesburg, Triad, Champaign Central, and Antioch as the other class 4A bands.

Class 5A:

Granite City is returning as the GC from last year. They along with Beville East take the top two spots in my predictions. If I had to make a choice, I would have Beville East as the class winner, but I think it’s close and could go either way- both are great bands. Look for Stagg or Collinsville in third. The other 5A bands, Yorkville, Roundlake, and Plainfield East are also great to check out.

Class 6A:

Tough call here. Waubonsie Valley, Minooka, and Neuqua were 2nd-4th here last year. Oak Park/ River Forest is here this year and has had a pretty good year so far. Alan B Shepard is in 6A this year and is also a factor. Going off of almost no head to head comparison data, I'll go with OP/RF, Minooka, Waubonsie. I legitimately think this class go could many different ways. Carl Sandburg and Kaneland are the other 6A bands.

Large school GC: I predict that the 5A winner is also GC, but definitely any of the class winners are strong contenders.

1A:

1. Watseka (Music, Visual, GE)

2. ALAH

3. Hoopeston Area

2A:

1. Newton

2. Paris (Music, GE)

3. Pontiac

Monticello (Visual)

3A:

1. Mahomet-Seymour (Music, Visual, GE)

2. U-High